New WinXX versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaWeav

WIN500 Remote request for Google Android OS

Mr. Don Starr,

Since the latest Windows Mobile devices are coming to the market at around $350 carrier subsidized, they probably don't have as large an audience as they once did. The growing trend, other than the Apple iPhone, is Google's new Android OS. With the recent releases of multiple Android mobile devices like the Hero, Droid, and Nexus One which are being called real competitors to the Apple iPhone and possibly the final death of Windows Mobile, have you considered a Win500 Remote Client application for the Google Android OS?

With the cost of Windows Mobile devices skyrocketing, the Android platform is quickly becoming the next generation for mobile devices including slates, tablets, and media players like the Archos 5.

The Android developer SDK is available at Android Developers.

AND maybe as an incentive for you, Google has done two developer challenge contests providing thousands of dollars to the winning developers.

D

DaveNF2G

So, as I explained above, you cannot simply load V-Folders into V-Memory from the computer. Every upload goes to V00 (working or active memory) in the scanner. You must then store it into V-Memory from the scanner's keypad before uploading the next file to active memory, which will overwrite the previously uploaded data.

All the V-Folder Management function in the software does is allow you to select and upload the files on the drive without having to open them into the editor first.

DonS

So, as I explained above, you cannot simply load V-Folders into V-Memory from the computer. Every upload goes to V00 (working or active memory) in the scanner. You must then store it into V-Memory from the scanner's keypad before uploading the next file to active memory, which will overwrite the previously uploaded data.
No, that's not accurate.

The way it's supposed to work (i.e. how it was designed, how it works for me and "most" people, and how it has worked since Win96) is that the "Virtual Scanner" interface lets you directly read/write the V-Scanner "folders", without going through the scanner's "main memory".

For example, I can open Win500's Virtual Scanner window, select 20 .P500 files for "writing", and send them all to the scanner in one shot. The "working" memory is not affected in any way - when the scanner reboots at the end of the Win500 V-Scanner operation, it will be running with the original "working memory".

The V-Scanner communication protocol is completely separate from the normal "upload to working memory" protocol, and does not affect working memory at all.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Please look at my attachment so you can see what I am seeing
I got same error with one of my three hookups. Clicking Refresh resolve the issue.

Close/reopen V-Scan dialog produced the same results...two cables and scanners ok while third gave same error requiring clicking Refresh a second time to complete operation.

sfd901

I have tried probably 50 times and each time same error message. Now one question I use Win Vista 64 bit. Could that be an issue

DonS

I got same error with one of my three hookups. Clicking Refresh resolve the issue.

Close/reopen V-Scan dialog produced the same results...two cables and scanners ok while third gave same error requiring clicking Refresh a second time to complete operation.

I get the message, as well. Clicking the "Refresh" button, without closing the Virtual Scanner Management window, always resolves the issue.

What is strange about sfd901's situation, though, is that he says the scanner's display never changes... even when I get the error message, and before I click "Refresh" the second time, the scanner is showing me "Remote V-Scanner".

DonS

I have tried probably 50 times and each time same error message. Now one question I use Win Vista 64 bit. Could that be an issue

64-bit Vista shouldn't be a problem (I've been trying this all morning on a Vista 64 machine, with no problems).

However... you're using the RadioShack 20-047 cable... what drivers did you install? The last time I checked, the drivers supplied by RadioShack on the CD with the cable didn't support 64-bit Windows. If you have not already done so, I highly recommend that you install the current driver from FTDI (the manufacturer of the USB-Serial converter inside the cable). Get the version 2.06.00 setup executable from: FTDI here.

sfd901

Here is another strange thing. TOday I took scanner,my laptop to a Radio Shack guy who owns a Pro106 but programs it without WIn500 software. His had same errors using WIN500. We even tried to swap out the USB scanner cable

D

DaveNF2G

Thanks, DonS, for the clarification about the V-Folders feature. I've never been able to get it to work as a method for direct population of the V-Folders in the scanner. I'll fiddle with it some more when I have a chance.

JohnSC

Premium Subscriber
Android client

+1. Android support would be great.

Mr. Don Starr,

Since the latest Windows Mobile devices are coming to the market at around $350 carrier subsidized, they probably don't have as large an audience as they once did. The growing trend, other than the Apple iPhone, is Google's new Android OS. With the recent releases of multiple Android mobile devices like the Hero, Droid, and Nexus One which are being called real competitors to the Apple iPhone and possibly the final death of Windows Mobile, have you considered a Win500 Remote Client application for the Google Android OS?

With the cost of Windows Mobile devices skyrocketing, the Android platform is quickly becoming the next generation for mobile devices including slates, tablets, and media players like the Archos 5.

The Android developer SDK is available at Android Developers.

AND maybe as an incentive for you, Google has done two developer challenge contests providing thousands of dollars to the winning developers.

DonS

The only reason Windows Mobile support exists is because all of the following came together at one time:
* I needed to learn a new development environment for my "day job"
* The development environment supported Windows Mobile
* I have a Windows Mobile phone

I don't see this all coming together for Android or any other phone in the foreseeable future.

Highpockets

Don,

I added a Virtual Scanner Management section to the Utah Guide, following my own directions, I get no errors, I hit refresh, it goes into Remote V-Scanner Mode, I hit Commit and it transfers ok, I hit done, it reboots and I'm back to normal scanner operation. But, when I go into V-Folders using the buttons on the scanner to see what's in the Folders, nothing transfered. What am I doing wrong, so I can correct the Guide?

I think I found my problem, I was hitting refresh after I filled in the files to be sent, it worked when I hit refresh first (Remote V-Scanner Mode) then filled in the files.I think the guide is right now.

Last edited:

DonS

Don,

I added a Virtual Scanner Management section to the Utah Guide, following my own directions, I get no errors, I hit refresh, it goes into Remote V-Scanner Mode, I hit Commit and it transfers ok, I hit done, it reboots and I'm back to normal scanner operation. But, when I go into V-Folders using the buttons on the scanner to see what's in the Folders, nothing transfered. What am I doing wrong, so I can correct the Guide?

I think I found my problem, I was hitting refresh after I filled in the files to be sent, it worked when I hit refresh first (Remote V-Scanner Mode) then filled in the files.I think the guide is right now.

I was going to ask about that (hitting Refresh between selecting files to write and hitting Commit).

I just tried the sequence in the Utah guide, and it seemed to work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.