New WinXX versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

leseigel

Premium Subscriber
cannot see Pro-106 scanner with Win500 evaluation software

I just downloaded Win500 evaluation software but cannot communicate with my Radio Shack Pro-106 scanner. I purchased and installed the Radio Shack programming cable and it appears as com 5. The Win500 software seems to be set to com 9 but I don't see where to change this setting in Win500. Also is there a manual available for Win500? Thanks for your help.

DonS

I just downloaded Win500 evaluation software but cannot communicate with my Radio Shack Pro-106 scanner. I purchased and installed the Radio Shack programming cable and it appears as com 5. The Win500 software seems to be set to com 9 but I don't see where to change this setting in Win500. Also is there a manual available for Win500? Thanks for your help.

Win500 doesn't need the COM port setting because it finds and "talks to" the cable's drivers directly.

However, this does require that you have the current drivers for the cable. I don't think RadioShack has the current drivers on the CD, but you can get them from here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm . You want the first driver listed (version 2.06.00). I recommend using the "setup executable" link to the right, under "Comments".

Also, make sure you don't use the short "adapter" cable that came with the RadioShack 20-047 USB cable.

leseigel

Premium Subscriber
Win500 now works with Pro-106

Win500 doesn't need the COM port setting because it finds and "talks to" the cable's drivers directly.

However, this does require that you have the current drivers for the cable. I don't think RadioShack has the current drivers on the CD, but you can get them from here: Virtual COM Port Drivers . You want the first driver listed (version 2.06.00). I recommend using the "setup executable" link to the right, under "Comments".

Also, make sure you don't use the short "adapter" cable that came with the RadioShack 20-047 USB cable.

Hi Don. Thank you very much for the helpful tips which worked. The Radio Shack instructions with the programming cable did state to use the 3" adapter with newer models. I removed the 3" adapter and ran the FTDI executable driver install, and Win500 communicated with the scanner! Now all I have to do is learn how to download from Radio Reference and program the scanner.

leseigel

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to RR

Thanks for the hospitality. RadioReference is a great site and the forums are very informative. Plus the members provide great tech support! I'm glad I upgraded my subscription, and it helped me decide to purchase Win500. Otherwise I wouldn't have a clue how to best operate my Radio Shack Pro-106 scanner.

bobs

Premium Subscriber
Win500 Virtual Scanner Not Working

While using Win500 1.92 with both PSR-500 and Radio Shack Pro-197 uploading and downloading to/from the scanner works fine. However when attempting to use the Virtual Scanner function with both scanners I get the following error message Error: 02 received (Excepted ACK)-Folder 1). Also popup message (Received an error message from the scanner. Retrying the operation may be successful).
Using Acer Laptop with Vista with latest cable driver. Virtual Scanner works OK with Butel ARC500 however I prefer to use WIN500.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bob bobs713@verizon,net

DonS

I just released new versions of Win500, Win96, and Win97:
  • Re-wrote SOAP interface to RR. This should improve import times. This version no longer requires my RRLib.DLL file or Microsoft's .NET runtime.
  • Fixed double download of trunked systems
  • Added progress indication to trunked system download from RR
  • Added zone number to site info in RR download and sorted site list by zone/site

cfr301

• Re-wrote SOAP interface to RR. This should improve import times. This version no longer requires my RRLib.DLL file or Microsoft's .NET runtime.
  • Fixed double download of trunked systems
  • Added progress indication to trunked system download from RR
  • Added zone number to site info in RR download and sorted site list by zone/site

Working fine here so far Don thanks for all you do!

Radiobern

Feed Provider
Since the update, Win97 has been giving me an error when I try to save file using "Save" or "Save As". A message box will then appear saying "Error: Access violation at 0x004659B0 (tried to read from 0x0000654A), program terminated." This error occurred on both my Windows XP desktop and Windows 7 laptop. I also run Win96 and Win500 from these same machines and those programs run and save fine.

DonS

Since the update, Win97 has been giving me an error when I try to save file using "Save" or "Save As". A message box will then appear saying "Error: Access violation at 0x004659B0 (tried to read from 0x0000654A), program terminated." This error occurred on both my Windows XP desktop and Windows 7 laptop. I also run Win96 and Win500 from these same machines and those programs run and save fine.

I just posted version 1.32 which should fix this.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
And for Linux users.

The latest versions of all three Win96, Win97 and Win500 work using WINE 1.1.42 beta In Ubuntu Linux 9.10 and possibly other Linux distros.

grumpy_hermit

The only reason I installed .NET is to run Win500. Has anyone actually removed .NET and then used Win500 with satisfactory results? If so, I plan to remove it. :)

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
The only reason I installed .NET is to run Win500. Has anyone actually removed .NET and then used Win500 with satisfactory results? If so, I plan to remove it. :)

I wouldn't remove any of the dot net versions. Other programs may depend on them.

Also you may have several versions of dot net installed. Keep them all because of the following:
1) Dot net versions are designed to co-exist with other dot net versions.
2) Later versions do not replace earlier versions.
3) Programs that requires dot net needs a specific version.

Last edited:

grumpy_hermit

I wouldn't remove any of the dot net versions. Other programs may depend on them.

Also you may have several versions of dot net installed. Keep them all because of the following:
1) Dot net versions are designed to co-exist with other dot net versions.
2) Later versions do not replace earlier versions.
3) Programs that requires dot net needs a specific version.
I was only considering it to free up resources and try to speed up XP's performance but I guess I'll leave it alone. Thanks for your input. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.