new with Whistler WS 1065, lost, know nothing about scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

10-23

I am new to scanners, very familiar with motorola radios and law, but not with scanners. I had the guy at the electronics store program the scanner for me, and I paid him, it was reasonable. But, I do not know what I am doing whatsoever with the scanner at home. It can also go in a vehicle.
I need a user guide or manual. The guy programmed a lot on the scanner. The system my area uses is the new P25 digital. There is lots programmed on the scanner I do not want, want to delete, or lock out. There is also the city police/fire where I live that I want, I don't hear them on the scanner. I need the frequency for my city where I live. I keep hearing the adjacent counties on the scanner. Hope some can help on here. I don't know whether to attempt to download ARC500, and try to find the frequency's her myself or let him do it.
Thanks.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
While that's a start, there's a whole lot more. The article below links in articles about what trunking is, various PRO-600 (which is really what the 1065 is modeled from) things like how to program it manually, and user guides for 2 of the 3 popular software packages (ARC500 and Win500; the other one we don't have anything for is PSREdit500). There's even a FAQ for the 600; all that is found here...

Getting Started with your GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

10-23

While that's a start, there's a whole lot more. The article below links in articles about what trunking is, various PRO-600 (which is really what the 1065 is modeled from) things like how to program it manually, and user guides for 2 of the 3 popular software packages (ARC500 and Win500; the other one we don't have anything for is PSREdit500). There's even a FAQ for the 600; all that is found here...

Getting Started with your GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

Thank you, it is an overwhelming learning process.

10-23

I downloaded WIN500, hooded up my scanner to the PC using my USB Scanner cable with no luck. The computer does not recognize the scanner. I think I have to download drivers for the cable , but don't know which ones....

10-23

I tried, I am lost, not very IT knowledgeable. I can't seem to get the scanner to respond to anything. I tried to download the drivers, but am sure what do do with the download...

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
When you install the drivers and connect the cable, you should be able to go to Device Manager in Windows and see if there's a COM port that has been created. Note the number of the port, because that's where the software (ARC500, Win500 or PSREdit 500) will look to make a connection between your PC and scanner

Mike

10-23

When you install the drivers and connect the cable, you should be able to go to Device Manager in Windows and see if there's a COM port that has been created. Note the number of the port, because that's where the software (ARC500, Win500 or PSREdit 500) will look to make a connection between your PC and scanner

Mike

Thanks Mike, I'll try this. I just haven't had success with downloading the drivers. It looks like they are zipped and I can't extract them to open up, I'll keep trying. Also the Whistler driver for the USB cable I have for the WS1065 is missing from the Whistler page for download.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yeah, I noticed that too re the Whistler page. I've put a message out, but of course, it's the holidays.

What utility are you using to unzip a file? Probably the two most popular are WinZip (shareware) and 7-Zip (freeware). There are many others. You should avoid trying to use Explorer to do these operations as it has been known to corrupt data

Mike

10-23

thanks

Yeah, I noticed that too re the Whistler page. I've put a message out, but of course, it's the holidays.

What utility are you using to unzip a file? Probably the two most popular are WinZip (shareware) and 7-Zip (freeware). There are many others. You should avoid trying to use Explorer to do these operations as it has been known to corrupt data

Mike

Thanks Mike, I downloaded the file from 7 zip link you provided.
I then ran WIN 500, and under configuration , searched for Find 500/600 PSR serial port, the message comes back No PSR 500/600 was found.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Of course not. You need the driver for the cable. Did you see the message from Sprite1741 (message 8)?
I would start there, barring someone posting the driver for you (OK folks there's gotta be someone out there that has the driver this guy needs...since Whistler doesn't have it on their website, we could host it on our wiki...)

Mike

10-23

still trying to figure it out....

While my scanner, scans, I also never see this message:

I never see: the signal strength of a control channel frequency. I'm not sure if I got the programming I wanted when I got this.

10-23

thank you

I will watch the video, but I am about to give up and bring the scanner back. It's not worth it, I also have not heard a single call in my local area after it had been programmed at the store. I would rather go surf, exercise, or watch a college bowl game, than keep getting frustrated over this!!

10-23

I decided to keep the scanner , and learn more. It's frustrating, but Brian on here from my state has helped me greatly with programming and I'll keep trying. Thank you for all the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.