new york city esu and fdny

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattl3320

Premium Subscriber
my ? is will the new world trade center buliding have the tv and ham a nypd fdny radio antennas put back up or did they decide not to replace them on that build. an does the esu trucks still work in the city or did they disband this group after 9/11. only reason i am asking about the esu is because i dont hear them on sod or citywide anymore.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
As to whether anyone is going on the new Freedom Tower is up for much speculation. A family friend who works for the Port Authority, and was the engineer in charge for that portion of the project said that the TV stations changed their mind no less than 3 times on this issue, and the last was that they are not going on it. They have gone with a simulcast system on up to 8 buildings throughout NYC, mostly owned by Bloomberg.
I would imagine that there might be some commercial users and possibly NYPD, but SOD was always on top of the Citicorp building since the 80's. 482.4875 is supposed to be for S.I. 470.8375 is for the rest of the boroughs. I hear SOD all day long at my office in Croton on Hudson.

jaymatt1978

I can say as someone who lives in Northern NJ I DID NOT notice any real drop-off in NYPD frequency reception after the towers fell. Like Radioman said there's too much speculation and there's no saying that the transmitters have to be installed as soon as the Freedom Towr is completed. Based on what I've seen so far the Port Authority already has their trunk system on there.

FrankRaffa

We did not have any transmitting or receiving equipment on the WTC. The VHF and UHF transmitter for Manhattan/Citywide is located in Queens. There are a few remote pickup sites in lower Manhattan but not at the WTC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.