Newark Police Radio ID's

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJEMT12982

Premium Subscriber
Newark Police Radio Identifiers

100 Series/1st Pct Units (Central Business District)
200 Series/2nd Pct Units (North District)
300 Series/3rd Pct Units (East District)
400 Series/4th Pct Units (West District)
500 Series/5th Pct Units (South District)
600 Series/Detectives, Crime Scene, Major Crimes
700 Series/Special Enforcement Bureau AKA Broad & Market patrols, shooting protocol units
800 Series/ESU & Special Operations units
900 Series/Outside employment AKA road jobs such as construction and traffic details, possibly even overtime units.

Can anyone confirm or correct the above? Also, I get the numbers, but not the suffix’s. Like 216A, that would be 2nd Pct, Grid 16, but what does the Alpha/Bravo/Echo/”FrankTango”/Tango/U stand for?

I know “SP” units refer to the Special Police units that work outside employment, I also know if I hear an identifier with “SR” that refers to School Resource Officer. ESU is obvious, and “NPD 1” is the current identifier for the police helicopter. Any insight of further information would be greatly appreciated.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Newark Police Radio Identifiers

100 Series/1st Pct Units (Central Business District)
200 Series/2nd Pct Units (North District)
300 Series/3rd Pct Units (East District)
400 Series/4th Pct Units (West District)
500 Series/5th Pct Units (South District)
600 Series/Detectives, Crime Scene, Major Crimes
700 Series/Special Enforcement Bureau AKA Broad & Market patrols, shooting protocol units
800 Series/ESU & Special Operations units
900 Series/Outside employment AKA road jobs such as construction and traffic details, possibly even overtime units.

Can anyone confirm or correct the above? Also, I get the numbers, but not the suffix’s. Like 216A, that would be 2nd Pct, Grid 16, but what does the Alpha/Bravo/Echo/”FrankTango”/Tango/U stand for?

I know “SP” units refer to the Special Police units that work outside employment, I also know if I hear an identifier with “SR” that refers to School Resource Officer. ESU is obvious, and “NPD 1” is the current identifier for the police helicopter. Any insight of further information would be greatly appreciated.

I'd say the suffixes stand for different shifts, Alpha would the morning shift, then bravo would be afternoon or evening and Charlie would be for night or graveyard shift.

AC2OY

Wow you guys certainly did your homework. I knew what the numbers signified the different districts and NPD 1 is their chopper but never really understood the alpha bravo thing either. Question how much area is a grid for them? I never could figure out when they send cops to hospital guarding prisoners either how that effects their patrolling units either. Good thread since I spend a lot time monitoring the Newark Police.

WQPW689

Cops guarding prisoners in hospitals is an old story with no satisfactory end in sight. Before prisoners are booked, the PD, and by extension, the City or other Agency is responsible for their health and welfare. The days of throwing a guy into the drunk tank are over. Most County Sheriff's will pick up prisoners if a Judge has set bail, so that helps.

And yes, it affects patrol coverage. Just the way it is.

BTW, Newark PD comes in great on my BC-125AT when I'm up here in Bayonne. I have to lock them out sometimes just to hear Civil Aviation, they're so busy.

Last edited:

warren

I believe that Alpha indicates a single officer, Alpha Bravo indicates two officers who can seperate so you have an Alpha and a Bravo, Whiskey indicates a walking patrol.

AC2OY

I believe that Alpha indicates a single officer, Alpha Bravo indicates two officers who can seperate so you have an Alpha and a Bravo, Whiskey indicates a walking patrol.

Sounds good I have heard them change their status. I thought that's what it meant but wasn't 100% sure. When their super busy they have to make single man units.

NJEMT12982

Premium Subscriber
Update to my previous post. In speaking directly to a Newark PO, here is what I was able to confirm. "SP####" refers to Special Police + badge number (Newark Special) More recently SP could also refer to an officer working a shooting protocol which is a fixed assigned post to show presence in a troubled area.

"Tango" units are training units.
"Frank" units are foot post units.
"FrankTango" refers to a foot post unit in training.
"Alpha" units are single man patrols.
"Bravo" units are two man patrols.

Often times Alpha and Bravo units are together but can be separated for various reasons including a backlog of calls.

AC2OY

Update to my previous post. In speaking directly to a Newark PO, here is what I was able to confirm. "SP####" refers to Special Police + badge number (Newark Special) More recently SP could also refer to an officer working a shooting protocol which is a fixed assigned post to show presence in a troubled area.

"Tango" units are training units.
"Frank" units are foot post units.
"FrankTango" refers to a foot post unit in training.
"Alpha" units are single man patrols.
"Bravo" units are two man patrols.

Often times Alpha and Bravo units are together but can be separated for various reasons including a backlog of calls.

Good job NJ EMT!!! If you work stay safe man I listen every night it's a warzone there.

Status
Not open for further replies.