Newb looking for a Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

khawk77

Hi! I'm new to the forum and to the idea of scanning. I recently won a $100 gift card to radio shack and thought I'd use it to buy a scanner, but I have no idea which one to get. Does anyone have a recommendation? I would prefer a handheld model and would like to get one with the longest range possible as I live in a very rural area. Thanks for the help!

ampulman

As a start, click on the Database tab at the top of this page. Click on your state, then your county.

You will see a listing of 'what's available' radio transmission-wise, in your area.

This is important to determine what type of scanner you need: analog only, vs. digital.

If you are really far out in the boonies, you may be able to get by with a (relatively) inexpensive unit.

Let us know where you are, and what you're interested in listening to.

amp

GROCKSHD

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to Radio Reference. According to the database, Blount County and City of Oneonta use conventional frequencies. You can get any one of those scanners that are under 100.00 and be able to pick up your local area just fine. That being said, if you travel or want to hear Highway patrol than you are going to need a more advanced radio, one that does "trunk tracking" to be able to monitor communications effectively. If you still are not sure about the right radio, Ask the folks in the Alabama forum as they will be more knowledgeable to your specific location.

vinzep491

Just my opinion, but get a cheap used conventional analog scanner off ebay or something for now.

use that as youre saving up for a digital scanner. Even if your area isn't using it now, they will be soon. At the bare minimum, I'd put you gift card towards an analog trunktracker.

For more infomation on the different types of scanners click on this:

Radio Shack Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki It's all of RR's scanners, you can get more info on what each one can do.

EP204

I am new to RR as well, but have been scanning craven county NC for about 3 years using a radio shack pro 94, it does not have rebanding and can not scan digital, but it is a great introduction into scanning and can usually be bought for very little $. I would highly recommend it. Although there are many other great models out there, and as said before it depends on what you want and need.

Status
Not open for further replies.