• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Newb question: which aftermarket hand microphones sound the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc0bus

Hello,
I'm new to CB radio and was wanting some suggestions on which aftermarket microphones sound the best that I could look for and purchase. I'm only interested in hand microphones for use with mobile radios.
Thank you

kf4eyr

i am parcel to old turners,, because they make my voice sound better,, the old astatic d1o4 with tug 8 stands do ok ofr me too,, but the newer astatic hand mikes make my voice sound unnatural.... it is really how your voice is,,, some people like stock mikes some like power mikes,, for mobile i go with rk56 turner,, the one i use now in truck is probably 30 years old but only had to change the foam in it once,,,in my blazer i use a stock cobra mike,,,,on my base i use a turner supersidekick,, i like that it has 2 adjustments to make to match your voice to radio,,,the other mike i use on base is the d104..,,,, you didnt say what kind of radio you had or what modes you were going to use,, so that has some thought into what kind you want ,,, i went thru a lot of years cbing before i came up with what i got,, a whole lot of experimenting,,,

Dawn

I can't speak for current mics. But one unpopular mic because it was so ugly trashed any mic cb or amateur during the 70's made by Turner. It was the +3 mobile that was not only a power mic, but had a good compression circuit. CB'ers around here though it was the ugliest thing after the success of the +2 power mic.

These can be field configured for either relay or electronic switching by any good tech. They took an odd battery that was popular at the time. There are replacement sources on Ebay or you can place a few LR-44 button cells in place in heat shrink or tape, or even have a tech wire up your mic connector if you have a spare pin to power it.

My experience was on amateur 10M. I got a 23 channel Sears/Hiitachi set with one of these mics for nothing. I had to change some crystals in the pre-pll mixer matrix to hit two regional 10M SSB nets. I started off using a RS power hand mic b/c the Turner mic was in sad shape. After rebuilding it with a new cable and powered by the radio rather then the battery, Check in reports were amazing. they thought I was suddenly running a then high power mobile like a Cubic/Swan with an order of magnitude of power. I wasn't going to admit to using a converted CB at that time, but that mic made a whopper of a difference.

There is supposed to be a later version of this mic in black with a current battery. I don't know if it's as good as the old one, but is supposed to sure look better. Maybe someone here can vouch for this mic and how it sounds on AM

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
IF you can find one, the Telex Cb-73 had Excellent sound and had switchable noise cancelling too! I wish I would have kept mine. :). 73, n9zas

TheSpaceMann

Turner +2s are nice if you can find one in good condition! Astatic and Cobra make some good power mikes as well.

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
And I use a good old cheap Workman DM-452 echo / power mic.
I keep the echo very, very low. I spend a majority of the day
thanking all of the compliments. CHEAP? Yes. Less than $20

kc0bus

you didnt say what kind of radio you had or what modes you were going to use,, so that has some thought into what kind you want ,,,

Well, I just recently bought a Uniden 510xl radio as a beginner radio if that helps any. It's strictly AM only. But perhaps in the future I might try a SSB rig.

kf4eyr

with the 510 just a regular stock mike will work ok,,, those radios are not a good radio to super tune or what ever they call it today,,,, power mike will only bring in road noise unless kept way turned down,,,and unless into echo mikes and such there are a few that will work but again still have to keep turned down to keep road noise out,,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.