Newbe needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michaelr2

I know this is a big problem with the 436hp but I don't really understand what to do. I am very new to the scanner world. I have a 436hp that I purchased about a year ago that I seldom use. When I do use it I just turn it on and let it do its own thing. Well it's been plugged in and I went to turn it on and it flashed "CORRUPTED SD CARD" Now it does nothing. What do I do now? Like I said I am new to this and have been trying to search but just don't understand a lot of it SORRY Any help or a point in the right direction would be great. Thank you. Mike

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
i know this is a big problem with the 436hp but i don't really understand what to do. I am very new to the scanner world. I have a 436hp that i purchased about a year ago that i seldom use. When i do use it i just turn it on and let it do its own thing. Well it's been plugged in and i went to turn it on and it flashed "corrupted sd card" now it does nothing. What do i do now? Like i said i am new to this and have been trying to search but just don't understand a lot of it sorry any help or a point in the right direction would be great. Thank you. Mike

try connecting the scanner to the sentinel program. Choose the option - clear user data - try to update the scanner database. You may need to reformat the sd card. First try without reformatting card. If that fails reformat card. You should be back in business.

Michaelr2

I have never hooked the scanner up to my computer. How do I get to the sentinel program

Michaelr2

Dave I just posted in the Trvern section if there was anyone in central Nj area that I could maybe get together with so they could help me. I see you are from CNJ. I live in Lawrence Twp. Is there any way we can contact each other and maybe get together? Thank you

Michaelr2

I guess that since I never hooked up my scanner to the computer when I got it that now that it is dead it's too late. I tried hooking it up and the computer doesn't even reconise it. I tried removing and reinstalling the sd card,removed the batteries for a hour and replaced them with new ones,nothing works. I only got the "sd card corrupted" message once and since them all it does when I push the power button is go to the Unuden start up screen for a couple seconds and then goes blank

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Michael,
Being Sunday, a lot of the members aren't usually on this site, thats the reason your not getting help today.
I'm not what some might call a whiz at all this computer programming, but know just enough to get by with my scanners. The great people here on the forum are very talented and one might say experts in this field, and always willing to help!

I'm going to ask you a few questions, please try to answer to the best of your ability.

1. Do you own a PC?
2. If so, which are you running Windows 7 - 8 - or 10? or ___ ?
3. If you have a computer, are you computer savy (ie) searching, familiar with downloading programs?
4. Have you ever downloaded a program?

OK enough for now, will wait for your response.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Remove the SD card and get a new one. Format it and install the use sentinel to update. Can't load if the SD is corrupt. Scanner should be ok one you get a new card.

Michaelr2

Dsc45 and Doctree2 thank you. I am going to pick up a new 8gb card tomorrow. Yes I have a computer, it is running Windows 8, I am no computer wizard but have downloaded a few programs. ( also have two daughters to fall back on ) . If I am seeing this correct I can download a version of Sentinel, install the new sd card into my computer and download all the information to the card,then put it back in my scanner and it should be good to go. Am I on the right track? Or am I still not understanding how this thing works?

rwier

Dsc45 and Doctree2 thank you. I am going to pick up a new 8gb card tomorrow. Yes I have a computer, it is running Windows 8, I am no computer wizard but have downloaded a few programs. ( also have two daughters to fall back on ) . If I am seeing this correct I can download a version of Sentinel, install the new sd card into my computer and download all the information to the card,then put it back in my scanner and it should be good to go. Am I on the right track? Or am I still not understanding how this thing works?

Well, from my viewpoint, you left out the reason for the Sentinel Program. In Sentinel, you choose those Channels and TGs that are of your interest in your specific area. You organize these TGs and Channels in groups the program calls Favorite Lists. This activity requires neither a cable, a "card" nor even a scanner. When you have created your Favorite Lists, then you can send them to a proper working scanner using a cable.

When I purchased my first HP-1, during the three day wait for delivery, I created FLs that I still use today.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You've actually got a couple of things going on. One is to download and install Sentinel. The other is to deal with a bad SD card, which happens from time to time.

To download Sentinel, see this page: Uniden BCD436HP Scanner (You may need to go to this page if Sentinel version 1.07.05 isn't on the first http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/BCDx36HPSentinel)

Installing Sentinel is beneficial because you can update the scanner's firmware - firmware updates are made when issues are discovered with a scanner. This doesn't happen often, but most folks agree that keeping your firmware up to date gives best results.

Also Sentinel allows you to update the master database. While the database is updated weekly, most folks only do updates every now and then. I'll do an update if things in my state change (which you can determine by visiting the RR database page) or just before I go on a trip somewhere.

Now on to your bad SD card situation:

Download and install SD Formatter - https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

If your computer has a card reader, it's best to put the new card in it and perform the following operations. (It can be done with the new card in the scanner, but it takes much longer.) Here are the steps:

Insert the card in the device. Use Windows Explorer to locate the new card and note the drive letter. (If you use the scanner, connect the scanner to the computer and choose "Mass Storage" mode. Then use Windows Explorer to locate the card as described above).

Launch SD formatter and have it format the new card. The card will be where you noted it from the step above. (Some may say you don't need to format the new card, but sometimes new cards have "helpful" utilities and all they do is take up room on the scanner's card).

After the card has been formatted, launch Sentinel. Go to Scanner>Clear User Data. A pop-up window appears. Check the "Display all drives" box. Highlight the drive for the SD card as you noted previously and click the OK button. (This process writes certain files to the SD card that are needed for the scanner to function. I suspect those are the files that are corrupted on your current card).

Next, in Sentinel click Update and go to Update Firmware. If your scanner doesn't have the latest firmware, it will be updated.

Next in Sentinel click Update and go to Update Master HPDB. This will download the current database to your computer.

Lastly, in Sentinel click Write to Scanner, then OK to copy the database from your computer to the scanner.

Your scanner should be back in operation after disconnecting it from your computer.

While this sounds complicated at first, it is no different than any other kind of software or new shoes for that matter. A little uncomfortable at first, but with a little experience, things become more comfortable.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Another though comes to mind. Since SD cards are inexpensive, you might think about getting a second, just to have as a spare.

Also, it might be worth trying to resurrect the current card by going through the above process. If it is just messed up files, re-formatting and re-loading files may be all it takes. Not for sure, but worth the effort.

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
Having a spare with duplicate information on it is a good idea. I carry one in my wallet should I ever corrupt the card in the scanner. So far I haven't needed it but it's good to know I'm ready should it happen when I am traveling.

Rick-KR3LC

Michaelr2

Thank all of you for your help. With your help,a new sd card and a lot of computer help from my daughter my scanner is up and running. Thank you again. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.