Newbie 436hp help, no Mesa, Gilbert, AJ PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morphine

Premium Subscriber
I was trying my darndest to not have to write this thread....I got a new BCD436hp a couple days ago, seems like a sweet scanner. I have downloaded Sentinel, created a favorites list. My problem is I am not picking up Mesa, Gilbert or AJ PD. I am getting MCSO. I am new to this trunking and digital scanning. I downloaded the database for my zip code and fine tuned it to get rid of the channels that I don't want to here and put it in my favorites list. I have not messed with any of the actual frequencies or systems. Any little bit of help or a forum thread that will help me would be great. Thanks for any help you can give.

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
Make sure you're monitoring the Mesa Simulcast on the TOPAZ system. That's where all of the PD TGs are located.

BTW, don't hesitate to ask for help. This is a very friendly bunch.

Last edited:

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Another thing to check is that you have all of the appropriate "service types" that you want to hear enabled. Just the basics are enabled when you first fire up this Uniden model.

It allows you to easily "turn on and off" the types of radio traffic you have a hankering to listen to.

For example: Law-Dispatch, Law-TAC, Law-Talk, Interop, Fire-Dispatch, Fire-TAC, etc.

Just in case :)

Morphine

Premium Subscriber
Thank you both, I appreciate the help, I figured it was going to be something dumb that I did or didn't do with the scanner. I am at work now but will play with it some more when I get home this evening. Unfortunately, this probably wont be the only dumb question that I ask.....bare with me, I will get the hang of this!

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Thank you both, I appreciate the help, I figured it was going to be something dumb that I did or didn't do with the scanner. I am at work now but will play with it some more when I get home this evening. Unfortunately, this probably wont be the only dumb question that I ask.....bare with me, I will get the hang of this!

Stick with me then. No one asks dumber questions than I.:lol:

Actually the only dumb question is the one you do not ask.

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber

Happy to help. Let us know how it works out.

Morphine

Premium Subscriber
Flano, I did turn on my service types and seem to be picking up a lot more stuff. Radiochuck, I think I am monitoring Mesa Simulcast on TOPAZ. I am still not getting any Mesa, or Gilbert PD. Maybe I am not monitoring it. Not sure what the attenuator is, i am going to go investigate that right now. Thanks!

Last edited:

Morphine

Premium Subscriber
Should I reprogram my scanner to the frequencies on the database on this site, instead of what Sentinel has, they are all different for the Mesa Simulcast.

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
I don't know much about Sentinel, but this site is about as up-to-date as you're going to find. Very accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KB7MIB

Use the frequencies in the database for the Mesa simulcast system if they're different from what Sentinel is showing.
The Shaw Butte and Thompson Peak IR sites for TOPAZ only carry fire dispatch, a fire tactical talkgroup or two (and then only the dispatch side of the comms for the most part) and some encrypted talkgroups.

Also, due to multi-path interference issues with both the RWC and TOPAZ RWC systems, you may need to invest in a directional antenna, and play around with what direction to point it in to get any reception. (Pointing it at the closest transmitter site in the simulcast system may not necessarily give you the best reception.)
This is a known issue for both the RWC and TOPAZ RWC simulcast systems.

John
Peoria

Morphine

Premium Subscriber
Thank you, I will reprogram with the RR database and see where we go from there. I guess i was just worried about screwing something up, but if all else fails I can reset the scanner to factory settings and start from scratch. Any recommendations for a directional antenna that works well for the Phoenix area. I am far southeast valley, out by Williams Gateway Airport (just for reference). I am really wanting to here Mesa, Gilbert and AJ police, MCSO comes in clear as a bell, almost like they are dispatched right next door.... Sounds Great!! Thanks again for your time!

KB7MIB

I don't use a directional antenna, although I really should because I have the same issue with receiving Phoenix FD K- and L-decks as well as Phoenix, Glendale, El Mirage and other West Valley PD's off of Simulcasts A, B and G of the RWC. I can get Peoria and Surprise PD's with no problem off of the White Tanks IR site, but I want to be able to monitor other agencies as well. I just don't have the budget for an antenna, coax, mounting it, etc.

John
Peoria

Morphine

Premium Subscriber
I am up and running, I have everything programmed that I want to hear. Thank you all for the help and advice! This is a pretty sweet scanner, all transmissions come in loud and clear. Appreciate all of your patience!

Blzr511

Hi guys (and ladies) Just got a bcd-436 and having a hard time hearing Chandler and Phoenix PD. I can hear Mesa and Gilbert (little traffic).I am POSITIVE I programmed the RWC and TOPAZ sites and freq's just fine from this site.

have the upgraded Radio Shack antenna. I can pick up PHX Black Mountain 200 crystal clear, but that's it for PHX...I'm puzzled!

MCSD East and West are fine also...

Is this a "distance" issue? Power Output?

Additionally, if anyone can offer assistance with why the Sentinal software keeps changing the frq's. Example: anything entered with a XXX.xxxx5, automatically changes to XXX.xxx00. Better example, for Thompson Peak (high) in the favorites list, I entered 773.73125 but after saving and reviewing, it appears as 773.731200 in the favorites list. Is this a Band Plan adjustment where I must enter a base freq and them do a .125 kHz spacing?

Thanks for any advice!

WJS

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Hi guys (and ladies) Just got a bcd-436 and having a hard time hearing Chandler and Phoenix PD. I can hear Mesa and Gilbert (little traffic).I am POSITIVE I programmed the RWC and TOPAZ sites and freq's just fine from this site.

have the upgraded Radio Shack antenna. I can pick up PHX Black Mountain 200 crystal clear, but that's it for PHX...I'm puzzled!

MCSD East and West are fine also...

Is this a "distance" issue? Power Output?

Additionally, if anyone can offer assistance with why the Sentinal software keeps changing the frq's. Example: anything entered with a XXX.xxxx5, automatically changes to XXX.xxx00. Better example, for Thompson Peak (high) in the favorites list, I entered 773.73125 but after saving and reviewing, it appears as 773.731200 in the favorites list. Is this a Band Plan adjustment where I must enter a base freq and them do a .125 kHz spacing?

Thanks for any advice!

WJS

If you are in Gilbert, you will likely not pick up RWC simulcast a or b (Phoenix PD & FD). The whole idea behind simulcast systems, is that they are very localized. Individual sites have fairly low transmit powers and usually the antennas aren't up that high. Still, since the North Mountain site for simulcast a & b is up pretty high, many can hear signals from this site for quite a ways...it's going to depend on whether or not anything is in the way, between that site and your antenna (check Google earth). I used to live really far out in the SW valley but could still pick up simulcast a & b, probably from North Mountain, but I had nothing in between us. You probably do have something blocking signals. I am at 47th avenue and Union Hills and can't pick up simulcast g, which has a site at 43rd avenue and Thunderbird. It's a very low power site, and this is a good example of the challenges of scanning simulcast systems. A directional antenna might give you enough gain to hear Phoenix, maybe, but then that's not a ton of fun with a handheld scanner I know. Chandler I would think you could hear, but I'm a NW valley guy for the most part, so I'll leave that to others. As far as the Radio Shack antenna that many find so magical, it's still just a duck antenna, and all duck antennas are lousy antennas. My experience is that you might gain one bar of signal with it if you are lucky (while seeing a decrease on off-band reception), so I don't even bother with one on my 436. Yes I've used the RS antenna on many handheld scanners and it can help a small amount, but it won't make a "can't receive at all" system into a "receive it great" system.

As far as rounding that last digit on the frequencies, it won't matter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.