Newbie Antenna question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy all,

I'll start out first by saying I have ZERO knowledge about antenna building. So with that in mind, I'll apologize in advance if this is a really dumb question...

I have a Scantenna ST-2 that got damaged a few days ago and when I went to order a new one I learned that they are no longer being produced. So I was wondering, does the thickness of the elements make any noticeable difference in performance of the antenna? For example the elements on most antennas are the super thin aluminum that gets destroyed at the slightest bump or wind storm.

Can I take aluminum tube with the same diameter and length, just thicker walled, and recreate my own version that's more beefed up? Or would that mess up the ability to "hear" the signals? Or anything else for that matter?

If this wont work, could anyone offer suggestions on a really good omni-directional wide-band antenna for use in the country. My nearest towers are more than 10 miles as the crow flies and the furthest is approaching ~50 Miles. The Scantenna ST-2 worked pretty well for this.

Budget for a new antenna would be around $100 bucks.

I know just buying a new antenna is easier but likely end up with the same cheap crap material again. Also this will be going on top of a 60' tower.

Thanks for all your help and time. :)

cmdrwill

So I was wondering, does the thickness of the elements make any noticeable difference in performance of the antenna? For example the elements on most antennas are the super thin aluminum that gets destroyed at the slightest bump or wind storm.

Can I take aluminum tube with the same diameter and length, just thicker walled, and recreate my own version that's more beefed up? Or would that mess up the ability to "hear" the signals? Or anything else for that matter?

I would think that the same outside diameter as the original 'rods' would work well.

kf5bti

Larger diameter typically yields more bandwidth which is better in most cases. However, I don't know what effects this would have on something like the st2. If u tell us what frequencies u listen to you might get some recommendations on replacement antennas. If the damage is minimal u might can repair your st2.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
At typical scanner frequencies, skin effect would keep the RF on the surface of the tubing. The wall thickness or the tubing should have little or no effect. I would say there may be a minor effect in practice but doubt you would notice any difference on receive.

Hey everybody, Thanks for all the replies so far! Current frequencies ranges I listen to are a couple in the 46.000 (these could be dropped if needed), 150.000 - 169.999, 450.000 - 469.999, and a fair bit in the 800's as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.