Newbie gre psr 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

burchill

Premium Subscriber
just wondering if I don't have a computer and I go lets say to a difference town or city or a race track if I can just can hit scan and it will scan all the frequencies the per has or do I have to enter all the frequencies before i leave the house from the computer, the reason asking is because when at the races I never know what the frequencies are going to be until i get to the races and get a card that has the frequencies on them of the teams so obviously i don't wanna have to take my computer with me to the races to have enter these frequencies.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
It is difficult to understand your question,but it seems to be that your asking if you can use your scanner without a computer?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
The race teams move from track to track each week. Their frequencies are probably not going to change, although each track may have it's own unique frequencies. NASCAR officials used to be the same too, but I heard they went Mototurbo or something like that which can't be monitored.

I assume the 800 doesn't come with the racing freqs like it does for public safety.

I would just enter all the race frequencies you can get your hands on at home, that way you will have them in the radio.

Last edited:

burchill

Premium Subscriber
Yes do I have to use a computer to input frequencies or can I also add A frequency or twos mulls through the scanner with no computer. In the old days you'd buy a scanner take it home (this is before computers) and turn it on and it would scan the frequencies it was capable of scanning stop in an that where active, if you new a freqency ie a fishIng boat you could punch in the frequencies and tune in will the new psr 800 do this and NASCAR no just the local tracks here in nova scotia

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Yes do I have to use a computer to input frequencies or can I also add A frequency or twos mulls through the scanner with no computer. In the old days you'd buy a scanner take it home (this is before computers) and turn it on and it would scan the frequencies it was capable of scanning stop in an that where active, if you new a freqency ie a fishIng boat you could punch in the frequencies and tune in will the new psr 800 do this and NASCAR no just the local tracks here in nova scotia

Yes,now a days scanners still can be programed by hand,but its more difficult.Alpha tag scanners will not just scan a freqency that you put in,you have to put it in somewhere,like a folder or group.I don't really know much about the GRE PSR-800 scanner so I don't know how its setup for that.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014

Yes,now a days scanners still can be programed by hand,but its more difficult.Alpha tag scanners will not just scan a freqency that you put in,you have to put it in somewhere,like a folder or group.I don't really know much about the GRE PSR-800 scanner so I don't know how its setup for that.

You cannot just "add" a frequency to the PSR800 on the fly. If you look at the keypad, you should note that there are no number keys, so entering anything new to the scanner while not using the software is not possible.

burchill

Premium Subscriber
Difficult decision psr 500 or 800

So hard to choose especially when a person is new to this I was thinking psr 800 cause easy of use and all the features and it has the p25 phase ll ability whatever this is but aparently will make scanners obsolete like the psr 500 but the psr has the number keypad which I like cause if at the local races (not nascar) here I can hit the number on the key bad that corresponds with the car number and I'm hearing every thing the driver is say but with no keypad on the
Psr 800 to enter the number of a car that corresponds to a frequencies it would just keep scanning unless I guess with the menu select button I stop on a
Frequency I think is the right car I want to listen to
So complicated in deciding please some help me
Decide lol

scannerboy01

I would recommend the PSR-500 if you want to do programming while you are not near a computer because the PSR-800 cannot be programmed by hand. If you get the PSR-500, if you know the frequency, you can enter it in a minute or two. Hope this helps. :)

rwier

So hard to choose especially when a person is new to this I was thinking psr 800 cause easy of use and all the features and it has the p25 phase ll ability whatever this is but aparently will make scanners obsolete like the psr 500 but the psr has the number keypad which I like cause if at the local races (not nascar) here I can hit the number on the key bad that corresponds with the car number and I'm hearing every thing the driver is say but with no keypad on the
Psr 800 to enter the number of a car that corresponds to a frequencies it would just keep scanning unless I guess with the menu select button I stop on a
Frequency I think is the right car I want to listen to
So complicated in deciding please some help me
Decide lol

love that 800, but wouldn't think of taking it to a race

burchill

Premium Subscriber
Still trying to decide

So the psr 800 is out cause I can input frequencies on the fly without a computer or a keypad.So, I think it's down to the uniden BCD396XT and the gre psr 500 I know been a lot of discussion from what I have but I'd like to know which you would choose and why and does one over the other have a feature that it can't do like if only one could scan the
P25 even though I know both can scan this system please so hard to decide especially when I can get my hands on either till I order one. I'm new to all this take it easy on me.

lep

I have PSR 500 as well as a 396. The PSR is the only GRE I own and I personally find the Uniden easier to understand and the software easier to use. It may be because I have a number of other Unidens and am more use to the DMA concept and the Butel ARC software.

It's sort of like Ford v Chevy, some prefer one brand, some the other. They are both capable scanners with similar capailites. To me the ergonomics of the GRE feels 'clunky' and not very professional in appearance.
I have a MOT leather carrying case that was made for another radio (now discontinued) that I bought at a flea market that fits the 396 perfectly and seems better to me than the GRE which seems "old" in styling.

Again, it's just your own preference but the above is my personal opinion. As they say, Your Milelage may Vary.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
ATTN: burchill

Please stop cross and multi-posting the same topic. I have merged several of you threads into this one and deleted at least one more. As long as you are trying to figure out what to buy, stick with this thread and don't start new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.