Newbie has some equipment questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DecAnt21

Hello, I have had my license for going on 2 years but haven't done much with it. Well I am now over the age of 18 and I have a good steady income coming in so I was wondering about buying a new HT. I owned a Yaesu VX-7R a few years ago. I plan on buying another one. I was wondering if this is a sound choice? I want a radio with wideband receive and because I do a lot of traveling I would also like to know what is going to be my best choice in antennas. Upon doing my research I think I am going to get a diamond RH77CA antenna. Is that a good choice? I will be placing my order for equipment next weekend when my paycheck is deposited. I was also thinking if there was a way I could boost power from 5 Watts to 50. I would even think about purchasing a mobile rig if it had wideband and or high power. I am using this wonderful coverage predictor and from what I see to succesfully use simplex I need higher power. Respond with your equipment suggestions and I will tell which I decide to go with.

w2xq

Mentor
Look at the Yaesu FT-8800R. I have owned two (first was stolen in Phila) and I think it is at a very good price point. It also has a cross-band rx/tx capability that works nicely with another radio. An HT and amplifier will cost you more than several manufacturers' mobile radios. HTH.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.