Newbie Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvanM

Hi guys,

I am new to all this radio stuff, and was looking into possibly buying a scanner. I would like to be able to listen to most of the channels in the Hastings County area in Ontario, as well as other parts of Ontario (Hamilton, Burlington, etc.).

Could anyone recommend me a fairly cheap scanner, for a beginner? Also, if it isn't to expensive, I would like to be able to hear the fire call out tone.

Thanks all :)

alex288288

Scanners vary vastly from price as different features and systems used, if your looking to start off, you can find them on kijiji for less than $100.00, however it will likely be analog which will limit what you can hear. Im not sure for your area's your looking to monitor ( suggest checking this site to confirm) and what your looking to listen to, Fire and EMS are for the most part digital in most area's so that will effect your pricing for a scanner as well. digital scanners tend to be more expensive.

EvanM

Scanners vary vastly from price as different features and systems used, if your looking to start off, you can find them on kijiji for less than $100.00, however it will likely be analog which will limit what you can hear. Im not sure for your area's your looking to monitor ( suggest checking this site to confirm) and what your looking to listen to, Fire and EMS are for the most part digital in most area's so that will effect your pricing for a scanner as well. digital scanners tend to be more expensive.
Could you or anybody else recommend me a fairly inexpensive scanner. The areas I would like to listen to use FM and NFM.

Also is there a difference between FM and NFM?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.