Newbie in Hampton Roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwvnova

I just moved to Williamsburg, VA from NJ and am having trouble setting up my scanner. In NJ I was using a very old Bearcat and picking up all emergency services without issue. Now I can not get anything here in VA with the same scanner. I assume this is due to the truncated systems but I know very little about how the system works. I'm guessing it is time to get a new scanner that will allow entry of PL codes, is this correct? If so, can somone recommend a fairly inexpensive solution? I would like to monitor James City County/Williamsburg Police/Fire/EMS. Thanks.

Last edited:

tuttleje

Both the Williamsburg/James City/York County.....and the Virginia State Police are using P25 (digital) systems. You need a digital scanner. Since there is a moderate degree of encryption on the Wmbg/JC/YC system, I would recommend one that mutes encryption. That leaves either the Uniden BCD-396T (handheld) or the Uniden 996T (mobile or desktop). Both are appx. $500.00. GRE also makes digital scanners (PSR-500 and PSR-600), but they do not mute encryption. Williamsburg, York County and James City Fire Departments simulcast on VHF on the main dispatch frequencies as does the VSP. However, once they move off the main dispatch channels to a "Tac" talkgroup, you can't hear them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.