• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Newbie intro and questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delivers1234

Hi all,

I decided to join this activity. I'm in salinas,ca. For now, I have ac
cobrawxst38 handheld. I'm thinking ham in the future.

If anyone is from the area and wants to share there knowledge I would appreciate it.

I'm on iPhone so typing is tough.

Q&A

I'm the car,...Equinox 2013

The cobra is scheduled powered via 12v outlet, with firestik 2ft on hood. I have the same whinny noise.m from alternator on the roof as well. It's a small noticeable sound when I sped up/down etc. it goes a way with batteries 1.5x9. Antannes isn't swr tuned. 1.2 -1.5.

Options: direct Dc to battery connection, where do I order, what parts?
Ground muffler, what part to order to ground? I heard grounding to chassis or battery might make a difference.
Buy in-line filter, what to Order where?
Is there a Dc battery regulator to clean 12v? I can install I'm car?
Is my hand held just crappy for my longer term operation? I could get a mobile CB but I named it to be small and get rid of the noise? I understand I got the cheap CB handheld. What to get that would work and be small for my Equinox. I was thinking of a 3 ft firestik? I run the coax from hood to fender in front passenger car door around floor to center under radio.

Hamradiooutlet is about 1hr away, pilot truck stop 10 minutes away.

For home, my 2nd floor patio is outside power lines. Is it bad to base an antanne on the 'patio? How far from power lines should antanne be? I'm hoping to get permission to run antanne from kitchen exhaust(unused) down to apartment. What antanne to use? Can't be permanent, but fixed to round pipe on roof.

Thank you for your help.

Delivers1234

N8IAA

Hi all,

If anyone is from the area and wants to share there knowledge I would appreciate it.

Q&A

The cobra is scheduled powered via 12v outlet, with firestik 2ft on hood. I have the same whinny noise.m from alternator on the roof as well. It's a small noticeable sound when I sped up/down etc. it goes a way with batteries 1.5x9. Antannes isn't swr tuned. 1.2 -1.5.

Ground muffler, what part to order to ground? I heard grounding to chassis or battery might make a difference.
Is my hand held just crappy for my longer term operation? I could get a mobile CB but I named it to be small and get rid of the noise? I understand I got the cheap CB handheld. What to get that would work and be small for my Equinox. I was thinking of a 3 ft firestik? I run the coax from hood to fender in front passenger car door around floor to center under radio.

For home, my 2nd floor patio is outside power lines. Is it bad to base an antanne on the 'patio? How far from power lines should antanne be? I'm hoping to get permission to run antanne from kitchen exhaust(unused) down to apartment. What antanne to use? Can't be permanent, but fixed to round pipe on roof.

Thank you for your help.

Delivers1234

Have you tried using the hatch on the Equinox? That's where I had ham and scanner antennas located. Never got noise on the hood antenna, but didn't like where it was.
Larry

kf4eyr

not wanting to be mean here at all, but get a mobile cb,, that handheld will be a noise gatherer,,, even if you filter out the power line,, you will hear every noise making car as they drive by,,,,, get a real antenna,,,2 foot firesticks not much better than a dummy load,,, get something longer and with a known good rating,,,,i wish you luck,,,,

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Any antenna physically shorter than 1/4 wavelength is going to take a performance hit at least as great as its physical length compared to 1/4 wavelength. For a CB antenna, 1/4 wavelength is about 108.5"

If you have a 54" antenna, the best it can do is 50% of the signal strength of the 108" 1/4-wave antenna, or about -3dB. A 36" antenna will have a minimum signal loss of 4.8dB compared to a 1/4-wave antenna, and a 24" antenna will have a minimum loss of about 6.6dB loss. Note that this is the theoretical best case, and poorly-designed or constructed antennas can have much higher performance deficits.

If you want good antenna performance, bigger (physically) is always better, all else being equal, until you reach 1/4-wavelength. If a 108" antenna is too big/bulky, understand anything smaller will compromise antenna performance, and choose accordingly.

JayMojave

Hello D1234: Yeah its a little difficult to read.

Yes your hearing alternator wine noise, having the antenna mounted near the hood is a bad location for noise from the engine, as you have found out. The alternator sometimes puts out noise that is picked up by the antenna and can be heard in the radio. Moving the antenna aft will help.

Yeah the hand held radio is a little on the crappy side. You want a radio with a good NB (noise blanker ) and ANL ( Automatic Noise Limiter ). Suggest calling Bells CB as they sell all kinds of radio stuff and are very knowledgeable on what you need.

See: https://www.bellscb.com/

Might also suggest a magnet mount antenna placed as aft as possible. The 12 volt power can be taken from the cig Lighter, not the best but I have travelled many years with a magnetic mount antenna, Cobra 148 radio, and cig lighter plug, worked great.

Grounding the Muffler is for ignition noise from the spark plugs, not alternator wine, but still worth a try. Add a Stainless Steel Hose clamp connecting to a wire as close the engine as possible, and the other end to the fire wall. Make sure there is a ground wire connecting the firewall, fenders, and hood together.

Yeah stay away from any power lines they are nothing but dangerous. The hobby just isn't worth having anybody injured or killed. Many have been killed accidently dropping antennas into the high voltage wires. The rule of thumb is twice the distance from the wires as the antenna is tall. I have seen magnetic mount antennas placed on top of A/C units on the roof that got out pretty well.
Hope this all helps.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

Kreedentials:
Passed Traffic school, only took twice this time No Kolledge credits
New Left hand Head Gasket on 64 Buick, no leaks, 455 motor hauls the mail
Voted last time, and even found the right place, no donuts or coffee, then was asked to leave...
Even Louder and more Bodacious PA System in 4X4 F250 400 HP Truck, watch out ladies on cell phones
New 5 element beam antenna at 75 feet, no damage from last horrific Santa Ana wind storm

Hi all,

Q&A

Thank you for your help.

Delivers1234

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Some of your alternator whine could easily be coming through the cigarette lighter socket if that is how you are powering your radio.

The internal wiring in your vehicle shares the path with a lot of other noisy wiring. The cigarette lighter plugs are usually just fed off a main power distribution block, so there's a lot of ways to get noise into your radio.

You really need to have a dedicated power feed for your radios that comes directly off the battery. This will fix a lot of potential noise sources and give you plenty of clean power for future radio needs. I see in other posts you've mentioned the possibility if getting your amateur radio license, so consider designing your power feed to support that.

You'll need suitable automotive grade wire, fuse holder, fuses, connectors, etc. to make this work. It takes some design skills to figure out what you need and how to do it safely, but there are a lot of experienced people on this site that will assist you.

Questions would be:
What's your budget?
What's your skill level?
Do you have the proper tools to do this?
What are your short term and long term radio plans?

Answer those questions and we could start helping you figure out exactly what you need.

Delivers1234

I'm thinking of 2m and 70cm in the long run. I have an equinox so would the best place for power be in the rear? I heard capicators reduce noise. Sounds like I need a distribution block. Any set ups as I do t want to loose my luggage space.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
My dad has a Yaesu FT-7900 installed in his Equinox. The RF deck for the radio is under the center console. The control head is mounted under the HVAC controls.

0b4e81a8-3a31-4c4b-903c-05794995eca7_zpsfsczbyty.jpg

If you run power directly off the battery you won't need the capacitors. A 50 watt VHF radio is only going to pull 12 or 13 amps, and that's totally manageable with 14 gauge wire. Upsize a bit for powering your CB and you'll be good to go.

Delivers1234

Thanks. Could u take a pic of the transceiver in the center console? And rthe wiring from the hood? Was the console center gutted (armrest)?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I don't have access to the vehicle, but I'll try.

Minor disassembly of the lower part of the center console to hold the RF deck.

Wiring comes through the firewall with some existing cabling.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Try checking your Swr outside, not in the garage? 73, n9zas

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I agree. If you were checking the SWR while inside, it'll reflect enough power to throw off the reading.

Ideally you need to be out in an open area with no metal around (except your car). So no street lights, etc.
A couple of other things to check:
If that's a 102 inch whip, you need to make sure it has the spring at the base. The spring is part of the antenna length, and that will decide it's resonate frequency.
If it's mounted to the back of that hitch tray, you want to be sure it's actually well grounded. Simply sitting in the hitch receiver may not be providing an adequate ground. While RF ground and DC ground are different, it wouldn't hurt to try a jumper from the body of the vehicle to the hitch tray.

Nice garage/shop/barn.

Delivers1234

Hi. I tried away from buildings, parking lot. No help. I added the spring and the swr went up....:(I can try the grounding but there is metal to metal.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi. I tried away from buildings, parking lot. No help. I added the spring and the swr went up....:(I can try the grounding but there is metal to metal.
Ok, next check your coaxial connections? Pl259 at the radio soldered correctly? Shield at the antenna base grounded? No kinks or pinch points in coax itself? 73, n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.