Newbie looking for tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewbieSal

Hi, Recently I've begun "prepping" and bought a Baofeng Uv-5r radio to use as a police/ems/fire scanner. While the EMS scanning works good for a few of the frequencies I have found here, I just cant get any Police or Fire frequencies to work. I've downloaded chirp and somewhat get how to use it, but there's alot that I don't understand. I don't know if these all need to be a certain setting to pickup Police or Fire transmissions or what. I've watched videos about this radio and using it as a police scanner, all they did was dial in the frequency and they were good to go. I just don't get anything when I do the same. I'm located in Knoxville, TN if that helps with my problem.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
That is not a scanner it is a two way amateur radio. You may receive some public safety if they use conventional analog frequencies. It also has a slow scan rate. You will need a trunk tracker scanner.

Most of your public safety, police, EMS, and sheriff are on Motorola Type II Smartnet trunked systems which that radio can not receive. Click on the link below to go to your county page. You can receive the frequencies in FMN mode but none of the 800 MHz. frequencies or trunked systems at the bottom of the page.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2474

Last edited:

NewbieSal

As my post was in moderation I was beginning to read about the 800mhz frequency, I guess the folks who did get Police transmissions on this radio were lucky. I'm confused about the analog/digital aspect. I'm looking at a scanner that says it will monitor Motorola Type II Smartnet yet says it's an analog scanner. but I keep reading where Type II Smartnet is digital. It's a Uniden BCT15x.

Status
Not open for further replies.