Newbie needing some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mhagler

Hello all I am looking to buy my first digital scanner and have decided it will either be a BCD436HP or TRX-1. I live in the Florida panhandle also called Lower Alabama and primarily want to listen to county sheriff and fire but would like to listen to FHP due to my proximity to I10. I read somewhere that FHP used pro voice so can I monitor it with the pro voice upgrade to the Uniden unit? And with that said which one of these units would be the best for an amateur?

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
The issue is that FHP and other state agencies use full time encryption on SLERS. So even if you have a Provoice capable scanner or radio you still will not be able to monitor them. You're completely out of luck there.

Looks like the local sheriff and police in Homes County use DMR. You'll need the DMR Upgrade to listen to them. However encryption is reported on some channels with units in secure mode and dispatch clear.

I haven't used the TRX-1 so I can't offer a comparison.

Holmes County, Florida (FL) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Last edited:

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Hello all I am looking to buy my first digital scanner and have decided it will either be a BCD436HP or TRX-1. I live in the Florida panhandle also called Lower Alabama and primarily want to listen to county sheriff and fire but would like to listen to FHP due to my proximity to I10. I read somewhere that FHP used pro voice so can I monitor it with the pro voice upgrade to the Uniden unit? And with that said which one of these units would be the best for an amateur?

The past year I've been putting tickets in for Holmes County and surrounding counties. Holmes County PD and So and EMS use DMR. Some of the Holmes County SO are Encrypted I believe the Dispatch is open. On FHP you won't hear no Law on SLERS they are all Encrypted. Holmes County FD 158.8050 is still being used. I live in Bay County. If bands are open up I hear your area with 1-3 bars. I don't know if Holmes Site on SLERS is correct if you want to listen in on SLERS you'll need to have the LCN in correct order. If you do get the Provoice upgrade you may hear Walton County or Okaloosa County F/R EMS Depending on how the sites are set up to hear them.. If you are wanting to listen to the Power South Company (Gulf Power) you won't hear much on the system you may hear talk here and there.

Last edited:

Mhagler

Thank you for the information, bravo14 I may reach out to you for more info in the future if that is alright

Status
Not open for further replies.