Newbie needs help operating the Kenwood R-1000 Reciever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eburris12

Hello. I found an old Kenwood Communications Reciever R-1000 in a friends shed. This belonged to her grandfather who was a ham. I plugged it in and attached my trucks' mag mount antenna to it. Its a radioshack mobile cb antenna but it fit the radios connection.

I tuned the radio to 27.135mhz (CB channel 15)
In my area, channel 15 is always active. And before I plugged in the Kenwood I was picking up transmissions with my Uniden CB on that channel, so I know it was active.

I played around with everything, switching from AM wide to narrow band, turned off the RF ATT. switch and even downloaded the manual from the internet.

(http://www.rigpix.com/kenwood/r1000_manual.pdf)

I could not get anything on the reciever. Just alot of static. Maybe I'm using the wrong antenna? Anyway, this is the first time I have operated a radio other than my CB. I am not Ham liscenced (yet) so I will not be transmitting, just listening.

I would appreciate some pointers to get this thing working. I want to get my liscence and play with this radio before I scape together the money to buy a new one.

Thanks

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A CB antenna is going to work well only in that band, and perhaps 1-2 mhz on either side. After that, the performance of the antenna will be far and away less than optimal.

HF (freqs between 2 and 30 mhz) is not like scanning - during the day frequencies above 10 mhz (to about 18 mhz or so, more on certain days...) is where you want to be - at night, stay below 10 mhz. The science involved with determining how signals travel from one point on the earth to the next is known as propagation.

Antenna selection is integral for reception on HF. The better the antenna the better the results will be. The R1000 has a very sensitive front end (I played with one years ago), so it's not going to take too much to wake it up. You will not be transmitting with this receiver, so there's no licensing issues here.

HF is a completely different world - you can start your journey with our wiki, which has numerous articles on the subject. On the forums, anything in blue is a link. With the wiki, depending on what skin you are using, links are either underlined or in blue:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Category:HF_Topics

A category is a high level reference with a series of links to other articles. As you can see, there are several such links here.

I would suggest starting by reading the 'HF' article, which will get you introduced into what can be found in this range.
In the 'HF Propagation' article, read AE4RV's primer on propagation. This is a topic that will be critical for your
understanding of how a signal travels from one point on Earth to another. Then move on to 'HF antennas', which has
numerous articles on how to build a good antenna. Next up would be the SWL broadcast' and 'utility monitoring' articles,
which themselves has numerous articles on these topics.

Of course if you want to get licensed, the ARRL license manuals are inexpensive and an easy way to get started. There are
even online tests you can take to prepare yourself for the real thing. Take your time and read. Join the various forums;
ask questions. This is a learning experience, so take your time. There's lots to learn.

73 Mike

Last edited:

Eburris12

Thanks for the pointers! But You didn't give a reason as to why my receiver wouldn't pick up an transmissions. I appreciate the help though, and I will definitely check out that wiki!

VernM

As stated, you have come upon an excellent and coveted receiver. Treat it well, be patient, and you will learn just how good it is.

The Kenwood/Icom/Yeasu HF receivers are a cut above the average in their need for attention to details. I have the tranciever version and can'ta recall if yours has a squelch control on the audio as the TS-430s do. If so, make sure it is open so you can hear. Then comes attention to antenna and matching. There's plenty to be learned there, but lots of information around.

As I recall, the receiver is as hot as any on 27 MHz. But that band is subject to atmospheric, sunspsot and just plain usage features that may make it necessary to listen a lot to hear a little.

Just hang in there. As I said, it is a GREAT receiver in any day.

73 de Vern

Eburris12

Just started fiddeling around with it. I guess just nobody was transmitting when I was listening to the 11 meter band. After playing around with other bands I've picked up skip during the day from the WWCR AM tower in Nashville Tn. at 9.980Mhz (I live in Florida) This is so neat! :)

I need a better antenna though, so I can hear more. I need a HF antenna instead of my CB antenna but I was surprised that I picked up what I did. This is a great piece of equipment. I also picked up alot of morse code on the 30 meter band. I don't understand it, but it sure is cool!

But why am I not picking up any hams? I've been monitoring all their frequency ranges with nothing to show for it. Again, is this because of my antenna?

Last edited:

Jose_Pointero

Well you've got yourself a fine receiver there. The wide AM filter is a little too broad, but it gives it a unique and rich sound.

When I was getting back into shortwave I bought an R-1000 off ebay with burned-out lights on the VFO and S-Meter. I replaced the lights and enjoyed the crap out of it. Even though it lacks a carrier lock like the more elaborate rigs, I still think it's a fantastic radio for SWL and I regret selling mine.

I think you're definitely being held back by your antenna. I used to monitor lots of hams with mine, and it motivated me into getting licensed. It was a little difficult because the LCD freq counter needs a few more digits; but with some patience and a steady VFO-finger it can be done. For an antenna you might try some 16 gauge speaker wire run outside along a gutter or on the roof. That's what I did for my first antenna and it picked up well, but it was noisy. I then bought a PAR EF-SWL antenna which really brought the radio to life, and I still use that antenna with the Yaesu that I have now.

Anyway I'm glad it seems to be working well for you, and enjoy it! I've never heard another receiver that sounded like those.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I had a R-1000 for 15 years and sold it about a year ago - excellent receiver!

A 30 foot piece of wire across your floor will make an excellent starting antenna, and you should definitely be able to hear hams on 80m (night) and 40m/20m (day).

Just be sure to observe the position of the little black switch on the back. Slide it one way and it enables the red clip thing for a wire antenna. Slide it the other way and it enables the SO-239 connector. Use the red clip thing for your wire antenna and you should be fine.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
If you've got coax plugged in (and it sounds like you do if you have a CB antenna hooked up to it), then make sure the SW Ant Select switch on the back is set to Position A. Make sure the ATT is off. make sure the RF Gain is up.

I don't have one, just going by the manual. Pretty nice find I might add.

Mike

Eburris12

Thanks for the replys! Tomorrow I'm going to set up a longwire antenna with some cable coax I've got lying around. Is there any specific length I should use, or just as long as I can make it?

Should I lay it across the top of the roof, or put it in the air, say between the side of the house and a tree?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This question really belongs in our antennas forum, however here are a few things to watch;

. The R1000 does have a tendency to overload, so don't make it too long 45-50 foot is probably going to work as well as it can;
. Getting it away from the house as much as possible will help minimize noise pickup from the numerous sources that reside there;
. NEVER mount it near power or telephone lines, nor mount it where, should it fall, it will drop on or across one;
. You will need to waterproof the ends of the coax, so water will not intrude. A double layer of electrical tape, plus a silicon sealant, or the use of things like Coax Seal (available at many ham outlets) is recommended
. Make sure you solder the center conductor of the coax to the antenna. Since you live in Florida, use of a lightning arrestor is almost a must. Disconnect the coax from the receiver (and ground it, if you can) when there's lightning in the area. Making a good ground is not as easy as it sounds, but for now, a thick wire connecting your sprinkler system or outdoor hose connection will do.

I'm sure others will chime in with recommendations, but I think these will get you started.

73 Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Eburris12 said:
Great thanks for the advice! Should I ground the metal braid that insulates the copper wire inside of my coax?

The metal braid does not insulate anything; in some cases, depending on the type of antenna you build, it's actually part of the antenna's system. But in this case, yes, grounding the braid will help keep some of the noise issues down.

For more information, I'd jump over to the antennas forum, and check out the HF antennas wiki article (the word 'wiki' is in the dark blue toolbar, hit that, go to 'antennas' then 'HF antennas'). There are lots of articles and even many pre built versions, such as the PAR EF-SWL antenna, which personally speaking is a great way to start. Cheap and it works.
However, the caution about power and telephone lines stands, no matter which kind of antenna you choose to build or erect.

We prefer you alive...'nuff said 73 Mike

dixieboyfl

Premium Subscriber
Antenna for your Kenwood

Eburris,

After reading your posting and realizing you are just across the river from me as I'm in Cape Coral, I wanted to let you know I have a brand new ScanTenna 2 still in the original box that I ordered and received about 3 weeks ago.

Of course it includes everything it came with including 50' of RG6 coax feedline.

If your interested and want to drive over to the South Cape, I'll take $40.00 cash for it.

I bought it for scanning purposes but have since decided to go a different route.

If you search this and other forums, the Scantenna probably has about a 95% recommendation rating.

Thanks,

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Mike, a ScanTenna probably won't work all that well for a HF receiver - and if you wish to sell something to an individual, please use their email or private mail address.

Thanks for your future compliance 73 mike

dixieboyfl

Premium Subscriber
ka3jjz said:
Mike, a ScanTenna probably won't work all that well for a HF receiver - and if you wish to sell something to an individual, please use their email or private mail address.

Thanks for your future compliance 73 mike

Roger that, Thanks......

Status
Not open for further replies.