newbie needs programming help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goberian

I just bought a Whistler WS1040 and am having programming issues. I am trying to get law police and fire for Cleveland Ohio southwest suburbs esp. Berea. I have created a p25 network using the 4 control frequencies on RR and entered all the talk group code I can find but I rarely hear both ends of the exchanges (either dispatch or mobile unit but not both). Additionally, I entered the old analog frequencies although I think that they are only rarely if ever used anymore. Also I believe that I am missing a lot of traffic because It is not nearly as busy as it was when I used Broadcastify. They discontinued the feed and that's why we got the scanner. I used to use scanners in the 70's and 80's but I an stumped here.

Goberian

No. I just entered the analogs on a separate scan channel. On the digitals I have one entry per talkgroup.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Perhaps the links at the bottom of this article will help...

Getting Started with your GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Specifically go to the Scanner and Software User Guides section. The first item points to the Easier to Read guide (note: the 1040 is really a rebadged PSR-500), and the other links are user guides to 2 of the popular software packages for this radio - ARC500 and Win500 (the 310 link won't apply to you).

If you are trying your hand at manual programming, we have an article for that in item 2 under 'Onto the Real Question'

Mike

I have tried those programs but I have messed the scanner up someohow. The light won`t go off.... it says wait for pc/if no matter if you hook it up to the pc or not. I am very upset because I can`t figure this issue out. I just got this yesterday so I was going to program it when it messed up. It had a error -turn off message too at one point.

TrackChatter

Wait for PC/IF

I'm having the same issue the previous member had - and noticed he asked for help on November 4, 2016... And there were no replies.

I will add, I'm on a WS1040, utilized WIN500 several times one night (since then it won't connect.)
Prior to receiving the "Wait for PC/IF" on my screen - it's locked and nothing I do will change it.

I've emailed Whistler and was told to turn the unit off, then on and immediately hit 0, then 2. Then hit another key. (Other instructions followed but nothing happened so it's still locked.)

Here in the forums others said to turn it on, hit 0 then 1. Nothing happened then either.

The thing is just locked. I can't get it to connect to my Windows7 pc or anything.

I might add, I manually programmed many frequencies into the unit successfully, Later uploaded then to pc, made changes, downloaded them to the scanner. Everything seemed to be fine.

But the next day I was creating a TalkGroup - got the Heap Error... Somehow got out of that one and now the bugger is locked up.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

TrackChatter

WS1040 made a mess

This is a mess and I'm reluctant to start deleting things unless I know more about what I'm doing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

What I did was add and remove things on my WS1040 using Win500 upon (starting) to learn I was doing things wrong. These sort of work but there are problems. Here's some screen shots.

Attachments

• Win500_01.jpg
    Win500_01.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 264
  • Win500_02.jpg
    Win500_02.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 267
  • Win500_03.jpg
    Win500_03.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 267
  • Win500_04.jpg
    Win500_04.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 276
  • Win500_05.jpg
    Win500_05.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 276

TrackChatter

Never mind.

THIS IS WHY PEOPLE START NEW THREADS!! Then the egotistical snobs flood the threads with their aloof 'put it in the right thread' gibberish instead of being helpful.

And as history has dictated... Half the threads here are left hanging for 1-10+ years with no responses because people get miffed and find it easier to leave than put up with the holier than thou attitudes.

teufler

Bedford Heights Talkgroups

Berea Talkgroups

DEC HEX Mode Alpha Tag Description Tag
56286 dbde D Berea FG1 Fireground 1 Fire-Tac
56294 dbe6 D Berea FG2 Fireground 2 Fire-Tac
56307 dbf3 D Berea PDTAC1 Police TAC 1 Law Tac
56336 dc10 D Berea Admin Admin Public Works
56337 dc11 D Berea Bldg Building Dept Public Works
56338 dc12 D Berea CW Citywide Interop
56339 dc13 D Berea RecCtr Rec Center Public Works
56341 dc15 D Berea Water Water Dept Public Works
56344 dc18 D Berea FD Dsp Fire Dispatch Fire Dispatch
56346 dc1a DE Berea FD OPS Fire Ops Fire-Tac
56351 dc1f D Berea PD DSP Police Dispatch Law Dispatch
56352 dc20 D Berea PD 2 Police 2 Law Tac
56353 dc21 D Berea PD 3 Police 3 Law Tac
56354 dc22 D Berea PD 4 Police 4 Law Tac

teufler

BEREA IS UNDER bEDFORD hEIGHTS

Bedford Heights Talkgroups

Berea Talkgroups

DEC HEX Mode Alpha Tag Description Tag
56286 dbde D Berea FG1 Fireground 1 Fire-Tac
56294 dbe6 D Berea FG2 Fireground 2 Fire-Tac
56307 dbf3 D Berea PDTAC1 Police TAC 1 Law Tac
56336 dc10 D Berea Admin Admin Public Works
56337 dc11 D Berea Bldg Building Dept Public Works
56338 dc12 D Berea CW Citywide Interop
56339 dc13 D Berea RecCtr Rec Center Public Works
56341 dc15 D Berea Water Water Dept Public Works
56344 dc18 D Berea FD Dsp Fire Dispatch Fire Dispatch
56346 dc1a DE Berea FD OPS Fire Ops Fire-Tac
56351 dc1f D Berea PD DSP Police Dispatch Law Dispatch
56352 dc20 D Berea PD 2 Police 2 Law Tac
56353 dc21 D Berea PD 3 Police 3 Law Tac
56354 dc22 D Berea PD 4 Police 4 Law Tac

FILE ATTACHED IS ZIPPED PER RR REQUIREMENTS, It is Arc 500 m GR5 foremat.

Attachments

• Berea Ohio.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Delopwer

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
unfortunately, I'm not good in programming so I can't really help. but I can somehow learn from this thread too. interesting!

TrackChatter

So far what I've learned is manually programming in a frequency is a breeze. But knowing what Trunk to use with various Talk Groups and where they belong is the hitch to overcome.

It's easy as pie to use a computer program and connect with RadioReference to download data they've acquired. Using WIN500 and tips provided from the UtahRadio guide, also not a problem. While all the information is readily available, for a price or from various tutorials... There are basic fundamental steps people need to know that are missing.

Suggestions explain how to input all these lovely goodies but nothing explains how they tie together in a functional manner. So when some people provide repetitive no-brainer suggestions like using the special cable that comes with your scanner... Or being scolded to put your queries in the right thread (when there's hundreds of them to choose from that are "dead threads" for half a decade) - stuff like that isn't answering valid questions or solving basic difficulties.

I mean really folks, there's a reason why there's hundreds of dead threads to choose from and life doesn't need to be so 'trendy' by merely attempting to receive common or core resolutions. Here's a good question, who deems it so necessary to make life miserable by asking questions and avoiding answering them? Obviously many of us aren't x-box users who enjoy venturing off on some quest to conquer a realm of puzzles and riddles in order to save the princess. lol

Edit: Here's another dead end.
To contact Whistler and Co. and they say to utilize RR. How lame is that for a company to not better support their products? This isn't India ya know.

Last edited:

mule1075

Feed Provider
So far what I've learned is manually programming in a frequency is a breeze. But knowing what Trunk to use with various Talk Groups and where they belong is the hitch to overcome.

It's easy as pie to use a computer program and connect with RadioReference to download data they've acquired. Using WIN500 and tips provided from the UtahRadio guide, also not a problem. While all the information is readily available, for a price or from various tutorials... There are basic fundamental steps people need to know that are missing.

Suggestions explain how to input all these lovely goodies but nothing explains how they tie together in a functional manner. So when some people provide repetitive no-brainer suggestions like using the special cable that comes with your scanner... Or being scolded to put your queries in the right thread (when there's hundreds of them to choose from that are "dead threads" for half a decade) - stuff like that isn't answering valid questions or solving basic difficulties.

I mean really folks, there's a reason why there's hundreds of dead threads to choose from and life doesn't need to be so 'trendy' by merely attempting to receive common or core resolutions. Here's a good question, who deems it so necessary to make life miserable by asking questions and avoiding answering them? Obviously many of us aren't x-box users who enjoy venturing off on some quest to conquer a realm of puzzles and riddles in order to save the princess. lol

Edit: Here's another dead end.
To contact Whistler and Co. and they say to utilize RR. How lame is that for a company to not better support their products? This isn't India ya know.
Huh? People are trying to help you and you say thanks.Then you go on a rant about this that and the other thing.You are either a troll or well I will leave it at that.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

TrackChatter

Huh? People are trying to help you and you say thanks.Then you go on a rant about this that and the other thing.You are either a troll or well I will leave it at that.

Teufler has helped me and knows I appreciate his efforts. Upon posting screen shots on 9-1 and leaving them sit there with zero results from a lot of clowns like you (only capable of chirping arrogant, personal opinions) likewise does nothing. All it does is show you have a pulse but not much more going on except to rail on others.

Which is my point. Glad you were able to contribute proving it even more.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Is your goal to simply program your WS1040 in the most expeditious manner, or is it to fully comprehend the relationships between all the steps required to do so? Also keep in mind that not everyone reading this thread may have an answer to your specific question. Even if they do, sometimes those responses can be hit or miss. We may require a bit of back-and-forth with you before we can formulate an answer, if at all.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Teufler has helped me and knows I appreciate his efforts. Upon posting screen shots on 9-1 and leaving them sit there with zero results from a lot of clowns like you (only capable of chirping arrogant, personal opinions) likewise does nothing. All it does is show you have a pulse but not much more going on except to rail on others.

Which is my point. Glad you were able to contribute proving it even more.
Well interesting I looked up your location and will be taking a trip that way with my 1040.I have made a file and instructions to do it by hand was going to offer it to you to try but since I am a clown and arrogant I will keep to my self.The only one arrogant here is you.

Status
Not open for further replies.