Newbie needs scanner advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bottlecapr

Wanting to get into this hobby. Need suggestions and help.
Would enjoy listening to local and state police, fire and rescue, utility, DOT etc...
I have read a lot of good about the Uniden BCD436HP. Is this a good all around radio and is it necessary for any of the three updates? I live around Southport and Meridian on Southside Indianapliis.
Best place to purchase. Fair price?
Any help would be appreciated😏.
Thanks

VASCAR2

Being your located in an area where there are simulcast trunked radio system I’d recommend the new Uniden SDS100 handheld scanner. Whistler is supposed to be releasing a newer versions of their TRX series which are supposed to be better for simulcast systems plus include the software to hear NXDN, DMR and other types of digital traffic. On the Uniden SDS100 NXDN and DMR are upgrades which adds to the cost.

Uniden will probably release a mobile/desk top version of the SDS100 this year if your willing to wait.

Technically the BCD436HP work on P25 trunked systems but the simulcast systems are problematic because several sites are transmitting on the same frequency at the same time. Depending on your location your scanner may not be able to receive the trunked signal because of the distance from your scanner to the different sites (multi path distortion).

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Depending on your antenna patience willingness to play with settings... BCD325P2 BCD996P2 BCD436HP BCD536HP SDS100. Those are the newer ones that work on IDPS and SAFE-T. My BCD396XT works just fine here in near NW Indy as does my BCD436HP. If I had not done minor damage in my PRO-96 it would also be a champ on both. Now its only good on the stand alone SAFE-T sites. FYI all 4 IDPS systems and 3 of the surrounding SAFE-T sites are simulcast sites.

Bottlecapr

SDS100

Thanks for you two taking the time to input on this.
Now you have me thinking of spending $650 for my first scanner!!
I do enjoy gadgets and love to tinker. I have learned from my past that if you try to be cheap
and save a few bucks you will always regret it and wish you hadn’t.
It only cost a little more to go first class
Now... any recommendations on where to buy? Amazon, Bearcat warehouse, Scanner Masters?
Is there any local shops I can patronize?
Thanks

VASCAR2

The reason I recommended the SDS100 is because it is new with the latest software and from early reports works better in areas where simulcast trunk systems are used. I bought my BCD996XLT in 2009 and it is starting to become dated.

The current scanners are as much microprocessor/computer as they are radio receiver. If you have a computer, tablet or smart phone that is ten years old they’re very dated and slow. As expensive as new digital scanners have become I prefer to buy the latest technology. If I pay $700 for a scanner and it works for ten years it basically cost me $70 per year.

I have seriously considered buying a new SDS100 and will probably buy from a reputable source with best price including sales tax and shipping. The price of the SDS100 will not decrease much if at all over the next 24-36 months.

With current narrow banding the simulcast technology use will only increase as system managers try to obtain reliable two way radio performance within current FCC regs. The days of high power VHF analog two way radio systems are limited and are giving way to low power 700/800 frequency digital systems with many remote transmit/receive sites.

Times have definitely changed from when I first used an AM/FM radio with Public Service band then bought my first Bearcat III crystal scanner. I think my first Bearcat III was $179 plus $8 for each of the eight crystals.

Bottlecapr

Thank You everyone. I just ordered my SDS100. I am sure I’ll be back with
More questions concerning setup and operating��. Looking forward to my new hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.