Newbie PSR-800

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoDo

I live in Baltimore, MD. I was going to buy a Uniden 396XT, but I was told that GRE has the distortion issue better solved then Uniden. Do you suggest as a newbie to get the PSR-800 for it's ease of programming and use? Any help would be great before I pay hundreds of dollars for a new scanner. I have never used a GRE, only Uniden.

Thanks, Howard

Last edited:

Ghawkman56

My Thoughts

Howard,
I am also a newbie. I purchased the PSR600 and absolutely love the radio. I don’t think you can go wrong with GRE. Programming any DTSR system can be interesting, however, it is part of the learning experience. If you have issues programming, this is an incredible forum for advice. Take care.

Gary

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
I live in Baltimore, MD. I was going to buy a Uniden 396XT, but I was told that GRE has the distortion issue better solved then Uniden. Do you suggest as a newbie to get the PSR-800 for it's ease of programming and use? Any help would be great before I pay hundreds of dollars for a new scanner. I have never really heard or used a GRE, only Uniden.

Thanks, Howard
Howard, it's hard to believe for 7 years and 205 post in RR that you haven't heard of GRE. Start here.
Main Page - The RadioReference Wiki and review each type scanner. You are definitely going to need a scanner which can decode TDMA systems and at this time, the PSR-800 is the only scanner to have this capability.

HoDo

FMON,

Sorry I didnt mean to say I never heard of them I meant to say I have never used them. I have only used Uniden 396T and the old trunktrackers. I am going to go and change my original post, thanks for pointing that out to me sorry again.

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
I live in Baltimore, MD. I was going to buy a Uniden 396XT, but I was told that GRE has the distortion issue better solved then Uniden. Do you suggest as a newbie to get the PSR-800 for it's ease of programming and use? Any help would be great before I pay hundreds of dollars for a new scanner. I have never used a GRE, only Uniden.

The 800 lacks a keypad and all additions have to be done via the computer software. On the other hand it has the RR database built in on a micro-sd card and you can locate and add most of the main police and fire frequencies in your area in a few minutes. Furthermore, find the PDF manual on line it is ever so much better than the Uniden ones and if you have a read through it you'll be able to be up and running in no time.. Having experienced the uniden 346 (excellent scanner, I'm not putting it down in any way) if you can program the 396 the GRE will be a doddle. Mine was up and scanning within an hour after it got here in the mail. Later I added a bunch of local conventional systems that aren't on the RR database, and that took a few hours.

The black plastic on the front plate of mine is easily scratched but this is only a minor cosmetic issue and doesn't bother me. The faceplate isn't a problem do far, and I haven't scratched it.

You can't use the software to actually control the radio directly so even when connected to your computer you'll have to keep the GRE scanner visible if you are scanning with it plugged into your usb port. I don't find that to be a problem, but opinions may differ.

One thing to be aware of is that the scanner must be OFF when you transfer program changes to it. It then appears as a logical drive if the USB cable is plugged it. Last night I accidentally turned it on while updating and corrupted the SD card, after which the scanner wouldn't boot. Fortunately I just took out the micro SD card and put it in my separate card reader, deleted all the files, and copied them back with the software. Problem solved!

Remember to back up the database the comes on the card to your hard drive or a jump drive or another micro SD card.

Also you should update the firmware and software pretty soon after it arrives.

HoDo

Thanks Ed. I ordered mine about 25 mins ago and I will have it tomorrow.

Is there an option on the software to update the firmware of the radio you mentioned.

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Ed. I ordered mine about 25 mins ago and I will have it tomorrow.

Is there an option on the software to update the firmware of the radio you mentioned.

Yes, after you install the software from the CD it's a top menu choice. You can update the CPU firmware, the DSP firmware, the database, and the software from this menu. For my unit the firmware updates were already available and installed just fine, as did the database. I only had a problem with the software because:

WARNING: The software would not install from the enclosed CD for me. There is an update on the GRE site which I downloaded separately and it installed fine. The CD version might work for you but if it doesn't install don't panic, just download the updated version.

The fastest way to update the database is to pull the memory card from the GRE and use another micro SD reader - the GRE mounts the chip as a drive when turned off, but it's not as fast as a separate reader. However, I just updated my database using the card in the unit and though it took maybe 20 minutes it worked fine.

Bronson24

Premium Subscriber
Ill have mine sometime tomorrow I cant wait!!!
FEDEX is delivering so it might be LATE evening ...they like choose my house for the last drop off's of the day haha...

IowaGuy1603

Yes, after you install the software from the CD it's a top menu choice. You can update the CPU firmware, the DSP firmware, the database, and the software from this menu. For my unit the firmware updates were already available and installed just fine, as did the database. I only had a problem with the software because:

WARNING: The software would not install from the enclosed CD for me. There is an update on the GRE site which I downloaded separately and it installed fine. The CD version might work for you but if it doesn't install don't panic, just download the updated version.

The fastest way to update the database is to pull the memory card from the GRE and use another micro SD reader - the GRE mounts the chip as a drive when turned off, but it's not as fast as a separate reader. However, I just updated my database using the card in the unit and though it took maybe 20 minutes it worked fine.

In one of the other threads there is a work around if the software doesn't install................I don't remember where it is and I dont' feel like searching.

As far as how to work the radio....................READ THE MANUAL. play with the radio..........READ the PSR 800 threads on this forum..................................EVERYTHING HAS BEEN DISCUSSED.

Go back to page 21 .of the GRE forum......start at about 02-08-2011 and read each thread that talks about the 800....................

Have fun..................if you screw something up................you can erase it and start over. It is simple.++

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.