Newbie Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrbugee

I just bought a Radio Shack Pro 97 and am trying to monitor Police traffic in Covington, LA (St. Tammany Parish). I'm using WIN 97 and have loaded all the freqs posted on radioreference.com. I read that its an EDACS system, so that's what I put in to "RX Mode" Still no luck. I'm sure its somthing simple but I'm very green to the hobby and can't figure it out. Anyone have any "sage wisdom" they can throw my way?

Thanks! -JB

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
I'm sorry to break the news to ya, but according to the database that system is EDACS ProVoice, which **CANNOT BE MONNITORED BY ANY SCANNER** I may be wrong, but it says the system is mixed analog and provoice, so you might be able to listen to some transmissions.

jrbugee

KCChiefs -

I read about that, but I thought ProVoice wasn't implimented yet. Is Covington one of the very few places it is? BTW, THANKS for responding (you too LarrySC)!!

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
jrbugee said:
KCChiefs -

I read about that, but I thought ProVoice wasn't implimented yet. Is Covington one of the very few places it is? BTW, THANKS for responding (you too LarrySC)!!
Well I don't live in Lousiana, you might want to ask this question in the Lousiana Forum, it looks like it is mixed analog, and provoice, so maybe only certain talkgroups are provoice.

Also, make sure you have the system programmed in the bank starting with CHANNEL ONE in the bank, and make sure you have the frequencies in the correct order.

radiogirl

You can not listen to any LE traffic in any part of St Tammany except Slidell ( separate system) and the State 800 mhz system. The rest is all Provoice. Not monitorable!!

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Also on the ProVOICE listing for losyanannas is the City of New Orleans current system, though they do have a active patch on the LATIE 700!

AVL

here in nj most 800 trunk are mixed provoice and analog and a few now have become encrypted and cant be traced

red8

Hey my friend, don't throw that radio away. You can still listen to
Slidell and State Police on their respected systems. So all is not gloom
or doom. So be happy that you can get that.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Ummm now that LSP is moving to the LATIE, and Slidell also going digital.... your gonna be outta luck with a 97... Bad news but the 97 will be a good travel scanner, and a good HAM, MilAir, RailComms (till they go digital)....

nexus

Here in Mississippi about 1 hr drive east of Covington LA our county is using a Mixed EDACS provoice/analog system as well. ALL LAWENFORCEMENT is strictly Provoice. Most of the fire departments, civil defense, eoc, road crews are ANALOG. Covington could be setup very much like this. If provoice is used on the system you can bet that law enforcement will be using it full time.

Status
Not open for further replies.