Newbie - recommendation wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

htims05

Hi,
I've always been interested in scanners, 2-way, ham all my life as a kid but never did much with it. I can remember as a young kid sitting with my grandfather listening to the handheld scanner he had to see what was going on (airport, police, fire, rescue, hp, etc.).

Now that I have my own boys I thought it would be nice to do the same with them as they are always very interested in any rescue vehicle (even the ones that fly).

With that I know a lot has changed since then...so I was wondering if anyone could give me some recommendations for a handheld unit that would work in the Charlotte area? I'm actually in SC just over the border in Fort Mill but figured CLT would be where I'd hear most (maybe not with a handheld - too far?)

Again not looking to break the bank as this may not turn into a hobby - but what would be good to pickup airports (can I get CLT from here?), police, fire, rescue - anything else interesting?

Thanks!!

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Pretty easy to use, get a Radio Reference subscription and Win 500 for programming and the Whistler WS1040 will work great for the systems you want to monitor, plus you can't beat the price.

WS1040 - Scratch & Dent

htims05

Pretty easy to use, get a Radio Reference subscription and Win 500 for programming and the Whistler WS1040 will work great for the systems you want to monitor, plus you can't beat the price.

WS1040 - Scratch & Dent

Thanks. Do I need to be worried about trunking?

And would I be able to get clt airport this far away...20miles as the crow flies I’m guessing?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I'm in Raleigh, so I can't say how the reception is in that area, but if you want to hear the tower probably not. And, yes, you will be listening to trunked systems, which is why you will want programming software like Win500.

htims05

I'm in Raleigh, so I can't say how the reception is in that area, but if you want to hear the tower probably not. And, yes, you will be listening to trunked systems, which is why you will want programming software like Win500.

Thanks again, and my apologies for the questions....but how does the ws1040 listen to trunked systems when it’s not a trunking scanner?

I looked up the win500 software but to be that looks like just a tool to easily program the scanner instead of manually doing it?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
The WS1040 is a trunking scanner, it works great on VIPER (NC state trunked P25 system) and Wake County Trunked System (Motorola trunked system) and yes Win500 is a tool to program it, but do you really want to take hours typing in frequencies and talkgroups, not to mention trunking information, manually and hope you got it right, or do it in minutes knowing the trunking information is correct? Especially if you aren't familiar with programming trunked systems.

htims05

The WS1040 is a trunking scanner, it works great on VIPER (NC state trunked P25 system) and Wake County Trunked System (Motorola trunked system) and yes Win500 is a tool to program it, but do you really want to take hours typing in frequencies and talkgroups, not to mention trunking information, manually and hope you got it right, or do it in minutes knowing the trunking information is correct? Especially if you aren't familiar with programming trunked systems.

Don’t get me wrong....I don’t want to manually program!

I just didn’t see the ws1040 being a trunking scanner. I must have misinterpreted what I read.

I think I’m good...at least for a few min until I read something else! :)

reconrider8

trunking is simple once you get it. pretty much on the 1040 just program in the control channels and alt cc's for each tower then add what ever talk groups you want to monitor

Soundman

A bc436hp bc536hp Homepatrol 2 or the new ones will work great . Thy are easy to program you put in your zip code and you are set .There is a database to update your scanner .

kg4pbd

Hi,
I've always been interested in scanners, 2-way, ham all my life as a kid but never did much with it. I can remember as a young kid sitting with my grandfather listening to the handheld scanner he had to see what was going on (airport, police, fire, rescue, hp, etc.).

Now that I have my own boys I thought it would be nice to do the same with them as they are always very interested in any rescue vehicle (even the ones that fly).

With that I know a lot has changed since then...so I was wondering if anyone could give me some recommendations for a handheld unit that would work in the Charlotte area? I'm actually in SC just over the border in Fort Mill but figured CLT would be where I'd hear most (maybe not with a handheld - too far?)

Again not looking to break the bank as this may not turn into a hobby - but what would be good to pickup airports (can I get CLT from here?), police, fire, rescue - anything else interesting?

Thanks!!

Here are the systems you will want to listen to:
York County - https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4855If
This is a trunked P25 system, and you'll get public safety for York county on this system.

South Carolina - https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=5042
This is a trunked P25 system, and you'll get state agencies, highway patrol etc., on this system.

Charlotte - https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6561
This is a regional trunked P25 system, and covers Charlotte and surrounding counties.

North Carolina - https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7118
Same idea as the Palmetto system, just for North Carolina.

In Ft. Mill you will be listening to the York Co P25 system which is simulcast. The Charlotte UASI system is also simulcast, depending on which site you are monitoring. If you want to ensure you don't have any issues with simulcast distortion AND you want to monitor the air band, all with the same radio, then you really only have one option to consider, and that's a Uniden SDS 100/200.

It's really the York county and the Charlotte systems that may present a problem due to simulcast distortion. The two state wide systems and the air band are easily monitored with any of the radios that have been recommended in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.