Newbie return scannee from the 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedBase1

Hi all,

New here and looking forward to chatting and getting know everyone , well as many as possible if you understand.

My name is Col , from North East England and currently own UBC 3500XLT with a Skyscan indoor antenna.

Would like some advice help with couple of minor problems i have been stewing over, as not sure which way to go.

Advice on better indoor antenna for the 3500 , live in busy town, lots of traffic busy roads, swamped by houses and trees. Live in ground floor flat , obviously no loft.

Just bought a pc serial-usb cable to program freqs into radio , but now need a serial-usb adaptor. (On way in couple days.)

Program software ,Butul or Freescan ? Which is best and would give better results , as in finding downloading freqs into radio?

Secondly , i am trying to decide whether to buy the Alinco XJ-11 , any you guys own or have previously owned this radio and should i buy , is there other radios better then this ? Thoughts comments please.

All comments ideas advice welcome,

Thanks guys

RB1

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi Col and welcome to Radio Reference. You found the BEST website on the planet to get answers. I cannot answer your specific questions but rest assured that some folks here will be able to. I mainly just wanted to give you a BIG welcome from the other side of the pond.

73, Dave K4EET

ab5r

Hi Col and welcome. "Which is best and would give better results" is your question and one of my pet peeves and seen here often. There is no "BEST" for anything. It always depends of a multitude of situations for the listener. Sounds like you live in an heavy noise environment which "may" cause difficulties. Trial and error is painfully the remedy for many of us. Suggestions from former users will aid, but their suggestions helped THEIR situation and may not fix yours. GENERALLY, an outside antenna as high as you can get it is preferred. If you use a portable receiver, you will find that location may change reception as you move around the house. That's the manure of the animal.

The location and distance to the radio service(s) that you wish to listen to might require an outside directional antenna (yagi). I certainly do NOT want to discourage, It is just a mountain that we ALL have to climb and learn as we do. Again welcome, and do not hesitate to ask questions. Be precise as possible describing your question. That helps members understand and answer,

majoco

Stirrer
Hi Col and welcome. Hope you haven't done your dough on the Com-to-USB adaptor - some software just won't work through through it. I have kept an old WinXP computer just so I can use the Com ports and even the old 25pin printer port with a wired converter.
The Alinco looks like a nice radio but I think you may be paying for something you can't or won't use - HF reception in a ground floor flat with high noise levels will be near impossible. Hope your eyesight is good, the screen numbers look pretty small!
Spent about 6months as a Radio Op on a Geordie CEGB collier in the 60's - Blythe to Shoreham and back, once a week! Found a bottle of Broon a few weeks back - wasn't the same!

RedBase1

Hi majoca , bottle of broon :) that made me smile.
Just a update, i bought the alinco x11 and using usb to laptop.
Busy trying to setup settings and hopefully it will give me a few freqs.
Not heard anything yet apart from a lot of hissing and air noise. Squelch set to 3 , Vol set 10-12.
Using skyscan indoors and occasionally swapping it with watson whip.
Any more ideas welcome , thanks all.

RedBase1

"I used to be indecisive but not i am not quite sure"

UBC 3500xlt
Alinco X11
Watson 881 whippy (Ouch :) not recommended , crrrrrrrap
Skyscan Mag-Mount , Will mount it anywhere it will stick

RedBase1

Anyone know or maybe have st johns ambulance freqs would like to share ? Local tyne and wear or national .
Interested in any medical, pmr, voice paging.
Mil
Helicopters , civil, mil or air ambulance helis

Thanks for your all posts
Thanks for the links and freqs Majaco.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.