Newby in KY

Status
Not open for further replies.

302HO

Hello, fairly new to scanning and this website. This site has TOO MUCH information.

Uh, i am wanting a scanner or receiver but really dont know what i want. The reason that is, is because i dont know what is around to listen to. Ya know, other than police and fire.

I have an interest in aircraft band and military comms. I live in the backwoods of mercer county.

What i am looking at.....

AOR 8200MKII
BC296D
Icom R20
Alinco DJ X2000

HF and SSB. Is there anything transmitting there around here?

Just need some pointers guys.

thanks

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
Hi 302.... welcome to rr.com......
Where in the backwoods of Mercer... there is a lot to listen to in Central Kentucky.... KSP is digital, there are a few Federal Systems that you might be able to receive.... we have a few systems being worked.... You have the surronding fire and police.... let us know.... do you have a radio right now or are you still in the looking stage?

Again, welcome to the forums....

302HO

Thanks unitcharlie...

I have a regency R1099 scanner right now. Its gotta be 15 years old atleast. It got into scanners at around 16 or so. Getting back in it now.
I have the local police and fire freqs. Our city police is using voice inversion. The rolling code type i believe. Atleast according to some information i found here. So really there aint a whole lot to listen to.

Yeah, i found out that state police is digital.

That would be the only thing i would need a scanner for is digital and trunking. Dont know if i would be able to get any trunking where i live.

Thats why i dont know if i would be better off with a wideband receiver or a scanner.

thanks

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
More than likely, any scanner you buy that can receive digital will also be trunking capable.

I don't know about any of the others, but I'd shy away from the Uniden. That model has been made obsolete by the Uniden 396, which is a nice unit. I have one, as well as a 996. I like both, but the 996 is better if you don't need a portable version.

dcg729

Hi to 302 H.O. from Lexington

by the way I know the meaning of your handle, had a little 90 5.0 ragtop when new and loved every mile, both kids learned to drive with it, took lots of abuse and never saw the dealership in over 100k, welcome again, sorry for off track there with the memory you tickled

Status
Not open for further replies.