• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

News Reporter Sits in with 911 Operators

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
SAR2401 said:
What was the point of that post?
I think it gives a quick inside look at what 911 dispatch centers are like, and helps people have a better appreciation of what dispatchers do in a typical day. For those exposed to these environments it's nothing new, but not everyone one knows what they're like.

SEMTTP

One thing for sure, people will never understand just what a dispatcher has to go through. There are some departments that their dispachers will get breaks and lunch time, then there is others like the one in Ann Arbor that only gives you breaks for just a few minutes then your expected back at your console. Its very stressful and I think that dispatchers do a wonderful job of compensating for it. Now I just wish the companies that they worked for understood it, and recognized the issues at hand. Think about it, dispatchers are required to work 8,10, and sometimes 12 hours. They do nothing but sit and talk. People dont think that sitting can have an affect on you, let me be the first to tell you that it does. I complained about my chair so many times that they just finally got sick of it. We had RECARO chairs and let me tell you those were the most stupidist and cheapest chairs ever designed, and definatly not designed for 24X7 dispatching.

The amount of stress involved in dispatching is immesnse. The people that run these dispatch center dont really care what their people think. Then there are the people that run these centers that do care and do do the right thing for their people. Will it cost money? Sure it will, but that is needed for a dispatcher to do his/her job effiecently.

For you people that run dispatch center(you know who you are) Stop being cheap, stop holding back and LISTEN TO YOUR DISPATCHERS!! If they say they need it they probably do.

mikepdx

SEMTTP said:
One thing for sure, people will never understand just what a dispatcher has to go through...
Absolutely.
That was a pretty rosy picture the media painted.

They failed to show any examples of the nut-cases, filthy language,
name calling and lies that the call-takers must endure.

Last edited:

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Sat with Los Angeles 911 one day for about an hour back in the summer of 2000 (or so - I forget the date exactly). Calltaker got a call from a guy who was reporting that his sister had been raped and the guy that did it was currently sitting at the McDonalds. The calltaker asked "How long ago did this rape occur sir?" The answer:

wait for it....
wait for it....
here it comes....
"1973."

That was just one of about 20 some odd calls she took in that one hour. In LA, the calltakers have direct access to LAPD radio, so if you're ever listening to LAPD and hear a hot call go out, that's a 911 operator you're listening to and NOT the dispatcher. They also have the ability to open up the console and hear all channels at once - she showed me that. Neat! We also got a tour of the EOC room that the LAFD runs. Remember the movie with Tommy Lee Jones where a volcano erupts in LA? Remember the EOC room? It really exists and looks much like the one in the movie, right down to the video wall. I was quite impressed.

-AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.