Newton County Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canefanjon72

Premium Subscriber
Hey all, I’m a newbie with scanners and need some information if possible. Recently I’ve become very interested in radio and Ham radio specifics. I’m currently living in Newton MS Newton County. Unfortunately I don’t have a large rig but do have a baofeng uv5r. I work as a dispatcher and know the frequency for the city but am unable to get this programmed into my radio. I do the usual steps with entering in the freq. and have in memory. But what I don’t understand is the two numbers given. I know I’m supposed to know this as a radio operator and I’m sure I learned this Offshore when working on rigs, but to the life of me I’m at a loss. Can anyone help? Not interested in broadcasting as I don’t have a license yet ( except my marine radio license for GMDSS) but would surely like to hear what goes on when I’m off work at times.
Thanks in advance.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Firstly, we need to know what city in Newton County your wanting to hear. Secondly, Sheriff, and city of Newton now are on the MSWIN and you can NOT do that on an Baofeng radio. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1447 To monitor that, you need a REAL scanner that can do 700 MHz, and is P25 Phase II capable, such as the Uniden BCD436HP, BCD536HP, SDS100, BCD325P2, BCD996P2, or Whistler TRX-100, TRX-200, TRX-1, TRX-2, WS1098 etc.... The other municipalities you would need to know the tone in use to properly program them into your Baofeng HT. We have not had anyone do any submissions with the current tones in use so your out of luck there. Also, it is highly likely that they all are transitioning to use of the MSWIN since County and Newton already are on it.

As for programming you need the RX, and TX frequencies... For the repeaters we list, the RX is the repeater OUTPUT, the TX would be the repeater INPUT for your radio. You would need to set it to the 12.5 spacing, NOT the 25. Set to RX ONLY. You can leave the RX and TX tone empty, but will then get any broadcast on those frequencies from anywhere they are in use. So its rather important to put in the correct tones in use. I run an RD-5R which is the DMR capable younger brother to your UV-5R. The programming of the analog part of the codeplug is identical in both radios.

Example: Newton County Sheriff VHF CH 1: In the Baofeng, RX would be 155.70000 with the tone 411 DCS N. TX would be 158.8950 not sure of the tone on input, but as your listening ONLY thats best left blank. I would set the squelch at 2. *But this is no longer in use as they now use the MSWIN. ONLY Fire Departments and Emergency Management and EMS that use VHF or UHF for paging are allowed to continue use of those systems once MSWIN use is active. All other agencies must abandon all but MSWIN as primary operations. Thats an MWCC rule, that is set up to force full use of the MSWIN, but is bad for those that want to have an fallback system if MSWIN should ever fail.*

Last edited by a moderator:

Canefanjon72

Premium Subscriber
Ah ha. I was under the understanding that the city of newton isnt using the same as the county as of yet. I was looking to use that as my base of listening in as I'm in the city and roughly 3 miles from dispatch. I kinda figured I would be out of luck with my particular radio. I only used it when I was offshore and needing to talk to boats and other personnel on the rig. The station I was wanting to listen in to is KGK664 operating on the frequency of 155.49000000. They have several frequency's they use for the handhelds but I know the main one per station listing on board is above number. Suppose I'll be in the market for a new radio and put this one in the ole BOB for when needed. Thanks for the help for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.