Nextel rebanding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspen54

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone tell me what the new Nextel ReBanding frequencies are for Broken Arrow, Bixby, Jenks, Glenpool. I understand that it will all be completed by 11-15-10.
Yes down the road Broken Arrow is going Open Sky but for now they are staying on their EDACS System but on the ReBanded Nextel frequencies.Thanks

peterjmag

Yes anything 855 to 851 is for sure rebanded. I have been told anything from 860 to 856 has the option to reband and anything from 860 to 868 is a must. Note also that Broken Arrow's current system 856.7875 to 860.8375 is not going to reband. The new sub system that has the 854 freqs is the new open sky which fall into the rebanded category. So when all is said and done it will be like this...

Broken Arrow EDACS Public Works and City Departments Analog *Reband not Needed

Broken Arrow Open Sky Digital and Rebanded Police and Fire

Bixby Rebanded

Glenpool Rebanded

Jenks Reband Not Needed

Hope this helps...

peterjmag

Yes it is happening all over the state. If you are asking about the Tulsa site it falls into the catergory of 860 and below and probably will not reband. I think if they were going to it would have already happened. Owasso is an example of a site that has been rebanded.

As for the Broken Arrow Open Sky, enjoy the analog coms while they last because it's bye bye Police and Fire when the switch is made.

Last edited:

aspen54

Premium Subscriber
I know. But I did hear Open Sky will not happen till Feb. 2011 since they are having a lot of trouble getting it up and running. Will never understand why the switch when you Google OS and see all the places that spent millions and within a year went back to their old systems. BA cries for $$ but someone pulled the wool over their eyes on this deal.

neondesert

Premium Subscriber
I know. But I did hear Open Sky will not happen till Feb. 2011 since they are having a lot of trouble getting it up and running. Will never understand why the switch when you Google OS and see all the places that spent millions and within a year went back to their old systems. BA cries for $$ but someone pulled the wool over their eyes on this deal.

You've got to be kidding, they're having trouble with Broken...er I mean Open Sky! :eek::roll::eek:

The "trouble" they have with this system is trying to figure out how to get out of their "deals" once they realize what they bought! lol! :lol:

aspen54

Premium Subscriber
Open Sky

I know. I have yet to understand how depts. can be talked into a system @ that cost with that many problems. Harris must have some great sales staff.

Drkatzjr45

Emeritus Member
Premium Subscriber
You've got to be kidding, they're having trouble with Broken...er I mean Open Sky! :eek::roll::eek:

The "trouble" they have with this system is trying to figure out how to get out of their "deals" once they realize what they bought! lol! :lol:

Yes. I dought FEB.....God Knows... it could be delayed until 2012...knowing how gov works.

aspen54

Premium Subscriber
Mpd

Just look at how long they have been trying to get their OS working. Supprised they haven't gotten someone hurt by now. The Chief says it is a training issue. That is BS. LOOK! OS & BS. Both end with S.

neondesert

Premium Subscriber
Just look at how long they have been trying to get their OS working. Supprised they haven't gotten someone hurt by now. The Chief says it is a training issue. That is BS. LOOK! OS & BS. Both end with S.

Training issue...it's a radio push the button to talk. Now, I know, I know I'm oversimplifying the issue but if the system is that complicated is it really worth it? You don't see other radio systems having this much trouble and then putting the blame on training.

peterjmag

Ahhhh seems to me like a few of you are just upset that your favorite town and or agency is switching to a digital system that you are not able to monitor. Well, welcome to the 21st century and the digital age. I am not at all standing up for Open Sky or it's problems at all and share the same regard as you all do but BA got a good deal at the table and they get to shut the ears off of the scanner listeners in the process. If it wasn't Open Sky that they chose it might have been ProVoice and then there would be *****ing about how much ProVoice sucks. The point I am tying to make is that it's the digital age and the age of post 9/11. There may be a point in the future where nothing public safety wise will monitorable. It's not the agencies fault it's the times and it's technology and the options they have to chose from, sorry. At the end of the debate the fact is you will just have to find something else to listen to or hope for some type of digital scanner that will scan this newer technology which is highly unlikely.

neondesert

Premium Subscriber
Ahhhh seems to me like a few of you are just upset that your favorite town and or agency is switching to a digital system that you are not able to monitor. Well, welcome to the 21st century and the digital age. I am not at all standing up for Open Sky or it's problems at all and share the same regard as you all do but BA got a good deal at the table and they get to shut the ears off of the scanner listeners in the process. If it wasn't Open Sky that they chose it might have been ProVoice and then there would be *****ing about how much ProVoice sucks. The point I am tying to make is that it's the digital age and the age of post 9/11. There may be a point in the future where nothing public safety wise will monitorable. It's not the agencies fault it's the times and it's technology and the options they have to chose from, sorry. At the end of the debate the fact is you will just have to find something else to listen to or hope for some type of digital scanner that will scan this newer technology which is highly unlikely.

Yes you are correct. I'm not going to sit hear and tell you that switching to a proprietary format that is not monitorable is not concerning. I think we all (well maybe not all) enjoy listening to our favorite agencies..but...wait for it......BUT OpenSky has been a problem child for a long time. Our beloved LVMPD keeps pushing off the sign off date because of these problems. I would think you would be familiar with the debacle regarding the City of Milwaukee as well and the boatloads of money that are being put into a system that was a failure from the start! Then there's New York state that CANCELED a 2 Billion dollar contract with them. I could go on, but I'm sure you know how to use Google. Maybe you haven't had the chance to listen in on a VHF patch of the system during testing. I have and I can tell you that even the users of the system are frustrated. I can't keep track of how many times a dispatcher has had to have an officer repeat and repeat what they are saying because they sound like they are in a fish tank! You can hear the frustration in their voices!

My point is there are PLENTY of other systems monitorable or not that WORK! My opinion (and more than a few others) is that OpenSky a poor choice when it comes to spending tax payer dollars. Would I be able to monitor these other systems...NO! But at least they would be up and running by now and not be a massive waste of my money!

Finally, I am as sure as it will snow this winter in Buffalo that there will come a day when the majority if not all public service agencies will encrypt or be unable to be monitored. It doesn't take a 21st century digital rocket scientist to see this coming. But thanks for letting me know. :roll:

Guys Broken Arrow has been very satisfied with their EDACS system and Harris had given them their assurance that their OS system will likewise perform to their expectations. They had an outside contractor perform the installation of the mobiles and that has been completed, so at some future date the police and fire will migrate to OS. In addition to their OS they have installed P25 800 MHz interop repeaters and have sucessfully test those assets.

Secret_Squirrel

Nut Protector Extraordinaire
Guys Broken Arrow has been very satisfied with their EDACS system and Harris had given them their assurance that their OS system will likewise perform to their expectations. They had an outside contractor perform the installation of the mobiles and that has been completed, so at some future date the police and fire will migrate to OS. In addition to their OS they have installed P25 800 MHz interop repeaters and have sucessfully test those assets.

Sounds like someone drank the entire pitcher of Kool-Aid to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.