Nice site for determining counties for an area

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveharpe

Hey there,

I was looking around for a good tool to see county names in an unfamiliar area so I could program my scanner accordingly. Here's a nifty site I found:

County Boundary Map

When you click on the map, it highlights the county boundaries for the area you clicked. It also builds a list of counties in a column to the right of the map. Very handy for scanner programming!

Dave

DickH

Hey there,

I was looking around for a good tool to see county names in an unfamiliar area so I could program my scanner accordingly. Here's a nifty site I found:

County Boundary Map

When you click on the map, it highlights the county boundaries for the area you clicked. It also builds a list of counties in a column to the right of the map. Very handy for scanner programming!

Dave

Good one. Thanks. Now, do you know how to find which county a city is in?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hey there,

County Boundary Map

Dave
Since the county boundary map link above recognizes zip codes, you could also just use the USPS site to find a zip code for the city. The form only requires city and state selection to generate a list of valid zip codes for the city. Pick one and use that as the search entry for the County Boundary Map. (Street address is only required to get the exact zip for a specific letter or package.)

SteveVHFD

I would like to find a zip code map that was actually correct. In the area of Herkimer county I'm in we have at least 7 different codes but none of the maps actually show the correct locations. Drawing up an accurate district map gets interesting some days.,,

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Ask.com - What's Your Question? is the best/easiest one I've found. I use it in my genealogy research all the time. You just phrase a question, e.g., what county is philadelphia pa in -- and press [Enter]. HTH.

I don't know if this will help you, or not, but if you just type (using your example) "Philadelphia pa county" into your browser Addr. area, it will do a Google search answering your question with one less step (Not going to a website)

w2xq

Mentor
I don't know if this will help you, or not, but if you just type (using your example) "Philadelphia pa county" into your browser Addr. area, it will do a Google search answering your question with one less step (Not going to a website)

When I'm doing this kind of research, I just open and leave a second tab for Ask on the browser. For me, anyway, Google's "best guess" isn't comforting. And I don't lose my spot on the page I'm working on. It's just a matter of choice. Going back to the original thread, the county map link is quite useful. Perhaps someone who knows how to add it to the Wiki (I don't) would do so.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
When I'm doing this kind of research, I just open and leave a second tab for Ask on the browser. For me, anyway, Google's "best guess" isn't comforting. And I don't lose my spot on the page I'm working on. It's just a matter of choice. Going back to the original thread, the county map link is quite useful. Perhaps someone who knows how to add it to the Wiki (I don't) would do so.

Ya, I was just throwing it out there. (I always use a diff. tab, and compare the best guess to the top answers)

But oh-well, different flavors for different folks :) Have a good night!

Status
Not open for further replies.