NIMS, the National Incident Management System

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
NIMS has been adopted by the federal government as the common and required method to manage incidents of all types be they natural or human caused disasters. ICS, or the Incident Command System is incorporated into, and is the largest component of NIMS.

ICS was developed following the disastrous 1970 wildland fire season in California, where dozens of very large fires were crossing agency jurisdictions in an unprecedented fashion. The U.S. Congress directed, by law, the U.S. Forest Service to lead an effort called "FIRESCOPE" which then stood for FIREfighting RESources in Southern California Organized for Potential Emergencies. Participants included the California Department of Forestry, Los Angeles County Fire Department, Los Angeles City Fire Department, Ventura County Fire Department, Santa Barbara County Fire Department, as well as the U.S. Forest Service. By the late 1970's the beginning versions of ICS were being used on selected incidents in southern California. The most important features of ICS were the ability to bring diverse agencies such as law enforcement, EMS, fire, animal control, public works, private utility companies, and others under one umbrella using common terminology, command structure, finance, liability concerns, training, and qualifications. Prior to this every component of managing large or small incidents differed between agencies. The federal government, for example, used a system for wildland fire called "Large Fire Organization" (LFO) and it was not easily adapted to non-fire incidents involving other agencies.

The first coordinator for FIRESCOPE was the fire management officer from the Angeles National Forest and the position required both a keen understanding of the problems agencies were having working together and a great deal of political wisdom and patience. In 1979 this individual decided that ICS was well on its way and sought out quieter surroundings on a National Forest away from the pressures of wildland fire management in California. He chose, ironically, the Gifford Pinchot National Forest in southern Washington to spend the remaining short years of his career. As he moved into his new position as the Forest's Fire Management Officer (FMO) little did he know that the Forest's most spectacular feature, Mt. Saint Helens, would interrupt his plans. State and local authorities did not have the experience, resources, and training to handle such an event and traditional local functions were handled or coordinated by the U.S. Forest Service and the Gifford Pinchot's FMO. When the Mt. Saint Helens incident quieted somewhat, this FMO finally decided to retire.

Since the initial adoption of ICS by agencies in California ICS has evolved and been adopted nationwide. In recent years FEMA changed the system they were using and adopted ICS. With the creation of the Department of Homeland Security, ICS is now required for every emergency management related organization in the country. The work of this Forest Service FMO, and the fine agencies involved in the initial FIRESCOPE effort was obviously very good as it has proved to be useful in a wide variety of circumstances and geographical locations. Little did I know, seven years into my career in 1980, that my struggles trying to understand what a "division supervisor's" role was when I was so used to listening for the orders of the "sector boss" on the radio. The term "Incident Commander" (IC) seemed other worldly at the time. When we traveled from out of state in the transition period between LFO and ICS we carried a matrix which showed the equivalent positions in each organization so we could have some idea of what we were dealing with.

It should be noted that many of the elements of ICS were borrowed from the military, especially command components developed in World War II such as task forces and strike teams. I'm not familiar enough with military command methods to expound on this.

In 1983, following a large swarm of earthquakes initiated by the movement of magma deep underground near Mammoth Lakes, California, federal, state, and local authorities needed a plan to handle any incidents that might result from potential volcanic related events. This plan was to be called "Plan Caldera" and the Forest Service called the former Angeles and Gifford Pinchot FMO out of retirement to write the plan. He was well known in emergency management circles as "the father of ICS." His headquarters for this effort happened to be a couple of doors down from my office in the Bridgeport Ranger Station of the Toiyabe National Forest in Bridgeport, California. It was truly a privilege to have this man close by for several months and learn what I could from him. His observations on emergency management were fascinating.

The development of ICS, its effectiveness, the contribution of thousands of government agencies at all levels, including the military, and many private companies in a huge partnership, is not well publicized. It is conveniently forgotten by those who repeat the phrase "the government can't do anything right." My years in the federal government exposed me to scores of programs, like ICS, that had been developed by hundreds of thousands of dedicated and knowledgable civil service employees, that I had no knowledge of prior to my years in forestry school at Northern Arizona University and with the U.S. Forest Service. Negative news sells better than positive news, no matter who is involved, and it is far easier to be cynical than constructive.

Anyway, enough for the history and civics lesson. Within the last year I came across a website, that although the work of a private incident management consulting firm, is very informative. One of the important components of ICS is common standards for the resources used on incidents. The following link shows not only fire resources categorized into "Types" but public works, animal control, law enforcement, and EMS as well. It is quite interesting as this is quite an expansion of resource listings from the first ones I came across in the late 1970's when I first worked as a wildland fire crew squad boss on a large southern California wildfire.

http://nimsonline.com/resource_typing_system/index.htm

I hope you find this background of ICS and the link interesting.

Last edited:

robbinsj2

NIMS is a management system and not a communications system. Radio channels will vary by locality/ state/ region/ incident type. You might post your question in the Florida forum (or whatever other state you're interested in) to see which are commonly used at large incidents in that area.

There is a push, at least within the fire service, to use NIMS for every incident regardless of size. NIMS is scalable so on an automatic fire alarm you won't be filling every branch and the apparatus officer may be the Incident Commander, but daily use at small incidents makes it a lot easier to enact it at the less-common and more-complex large ones.

Jim

SCPD

QRT
There is the National Incident Radio Support Cache maintained by the U.S. Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management. It is used when a large wildland fire needs a communications system after the local system has been overwhelmed. This cache has also been used for floods, hurricanes, and even the last conventions of the Republican and Democratic parties. The cache includes 7 frequencies each for command, tactical, and logistics. The command system set up on a fire usually includes use of a portable repeater set up just for the incident involved.

Incidents originating on state/local lands use the frequencies of the agencies involved. In California the Department of Forestry and Fire Protection has 10 command and 23 tactical frequencies.

Information on the National Incident Radio Support Cache is available at this link:

http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/niicd/documents.html

Information about the frequencies used is available here:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/National_Incident_Radio_Support_Cache

It is important to note that the system used on the ground at incidents is the Incident Command System (ICS) and NIMS is the entire management system, including training, qualifications, resource typing, and information sharing as well as ICS.

It is a good idea to become familiar with ICS as many of the terms and procedures heard on a scanner are part of ICS and the link I gave at the beginning of this thread can be used to get to the home page of the website. There you will find links to the other portions of the website where information about ICS can be accessed.

I can't imagine listening to a large incident and not wanting to know how the incident is managed. Otherwise you are hearing traffic such as "Branch II, Operations" and not really know what part of the organization these refer to.

As mentioned previously ICS was designed to be used on very small incidents, and then is added to according to the needs of the incident. I've worked some very small incidents with very little complexity where I was the resource unit leader, situation unit leader, check-in recorder, and Planning Section Chief all rolled into one. In that case we did not need the finance section at all so we did not order personnel to staff it. The entire logistics section was handled by one person also. The IC did not need a PIO or Public Information Officer as he handled all media request himself. He never received one media request that the local dispatcher could not handle.

I've been on such small incidents that became very large. Our incident command base went from 45 people (two handcrews and five engines) to 3000 people in the span of 24 hours and positions were added as the organization and size of the fire increased. This also works when the incident has been contained and often you see a Type I incident management team hand it over to a Type II team who then hands it over to a Type III team, who in turn hands it over to the local district or unit. At all time the incident has an incident commander designated until all personnel are released.

I've also been dispatched to initial attack incidents as the resource unit leader (this unit keeps track of all the personnel and equipment working the incident or ordered for it) when the IC knew he had a situation where the use of either a Type II or Type I team was going to be ordered and wanted me to figure out the status of all resources as soon as possible. He knew that by the end of the first operational period (usually 12 hours) there would be a team ordered and losing track of the status of each resource can be very difficult to sort out during the transition from initial attack to an extended incident. Such items as how long each resource had been working when it was assigned to the incident and how long they have been on the incident are critical in order to follow work and rest guidelines as those are very important for safety.

I will do a little research to find out the name of the "father of ICS." All I can remember right now is that his name is "Bob." The last name escapes me.

car2back

FireRescueMedic11 said:
oooohh...so like public safety freqs are incorporated into NIMS?

Think of NIMS more of a way to organize and allocate large (and small) amounts of resources. NIMS would be used on radio freqs and systems already in place. Ever here an Engine "setting up command" on a fire scene? that's NIMS being used. I took my certs for NIMS online through FEMA.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.