NJ Ham Repeaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2xq

Mentor
The new RR looks good, and I applaud those who struggle with the database files. I noted the "Statewide" entries whereas truth be told only W3BXW and W2NJR are as close to being wide area repeater systems as you can get.

I dumped the data into Google Docs and fixed the "Statewide" county entries. A few entries were added, and duplicates and one New York repeater are marked by striketrhough text. There are more repeaters to be added but I thought it best to adjust just the ones now posted.

A second page is added to the attached Excel spreadsheet. It is identical to the first sheet but with the deletions of two columns.It is a suggestion to make the database a bit easier to read. Repeater input frequencies (except the 2m 1 MHz offsets) aren't needed, nor are input and output tones. As I say, this is just a suggested layout. Comments are welcome.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Attachments

• RadioReference NJ Ham Repeaters 2011-09-18.zip
    13.6 KB · Views: 117

fineshot1

The data in your excell spread sheet looks fine, but

you are going to need tone input "and" output as some
repeaters are ex-commercial repeaters and i know some
use different input and output tones.

what is your source of data as i have noticed many already
listed repeaters in the arcc and metrocor database are missing?
i know they exist because i have used them. i must assume
they are the ones you state are to be added.

most new hams are totally un-aware of whether an offset is a
plus or minus even though to many experienced hams that is
second nature.

w2xq

Mentor
The data in your excell spread sheet looks fine, but

you are going to need tone input "and" output as some
repeaters are ex-commercial repeaters and i know some
use different input and output tones.

what is your source of data as i have noticed many already
listed repeaters in the arcc and metrocor database are missing?
i know they exist because i have used them. i must assume
they are the ones you state are to be added.

most new hams are totally un-aware of whether an offset is a
plus or minus even though to many experienced hams that is
second nature.

Thanks for the comments. I started gathering repeater info in 1977 or so, and in the early 80's using an Apple II I kept the repeater database for the coordinating council prior to ARCC. I built and maintain the Web pages for W3BXW, WB2YGO and initially designed the K2AX site.

Outputs: Agreed there are many ex-commercial repeaters on the air, but I only know of one repeater in my area that uses different input and output tones. The owner keeps the input tone under tight control to eliminate the nonsense key-ups, music and comments heard on some repeaters.

Unpublished: I recognize that there are repeater owners who choose not to publish their listings. I was on the road for 12 years in all 21 counties. Putting towns in counties is not a chore for me. Midday is usually quiet and band scans while driving through the state revealed the unlisted when a code ID popped up.

Entries to be added: I can see on the ARCC list alone there are repeaters listed that are not in the RR database. No doubt that Metrocor has the same thing. What I was trying to do with this posting is to mainly help the DBA tweak the "Statewide" to proper counties on the RR data already posted, I was not trying to complicate the DBA's life by throwing in a bunch of repeaters to be added nor rape the ARCC list. I did fill in the additional W2NJR system repeaters, based upon their Website, added a third machine to KC2QVT and added K2AX and K2JZO (all in my county, all from personal knowledge).

Offsets: Virtually every mobile or HT radio sold today automatically sets the standard offset for the band. There are a few 1 MHz split 2m repeaters which require the additional step of setting the input.

I was just thinking the ham radio database would be more for scanner listeners than for hams themselves. I thought that listeners could care less about inputs and offsets, just the repeater output and PL to program into scanners.

I hope that explains my thinking on what I was trying to do. Does it help?

73, Tom

fineshot1

I hope that explains my thinking on what I was trying to do. Does it help?

73, Tom

Gotcha - just adding some other thoughts to the mix. I have been using many of the
local area (Middlesex, Monmouth, and Ocean) repeaters since the late 1970's and if
you need help for confirmations just ask and I can chip in.

w2xq

Mentor
Sure, fixes are more than welcome. It looks we got into FM about the same time. My first radio was a Regency HR-2B.

I'm not looking to again build yet another repeater list. Been there, done that. I was primarily fixing the counties so a newbie scanner listener would not get the idea that most repeaters could be heard everywhere.

For better or worse, when I travel out of NJ and ePA I just go to the various repeater councils' websites and pick out some repeaters to program into the two Yaesu radios.

What is your call?

Tom

fineshot1

Sure, fixes are more than welcome. It looks we got into FM about the same time. My first radio was a Regency HR-2B.

I'm not looking to again build yet another repeater list. Been there, done that. I was primarily fixing the counties so a newbie scanner listener would not get the idea that most repeaters could be heard everywhere.

For better or worse, when I travel out of NJ and ePA I just go to the various repeater councils' websites and pick out some repeaters to program into the two Yaesu radios.

What is your call?

Tom

I will PM you....

Status
Not open for further replies.