NJ State Police Radio Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickter98

I have a question about the radio coverage in Central NJ. I live in Bordentown and get perfect reception from the Bordentown station, however my fiance lives in Titusville which is straight up Rt. 29 and I get nothing there. Seems strange because there is a barracks not 2 miles away in Ewing/Hopewell. Anyone have any idea why I loose them just north of Trenton?

Thanks in advance.

p.s. Just received my BCi25D digital card for my BC785D so I should be able to receive the new digital changeover for NJSP.

DJ88

I have seen this kind of question asked before on other boards, so you are not alone. Apparently there are dead spots where you simply cannot receive the system. A similar question was posted by someone who lives in Belmar. He stated he could not receive them there.

I also have a similar problem. I have two scanners in my home, one in my kitchen, hooked up to an outside antenna and one in a a room in the back of my house using the base antenna only. There are times during the course of a day when I can't receive them at all on the one hooked to the outside antenna, and yet, I get them loud and clear on the other one.

Also, the system comes in loud and clear at times, and yet other times it's weak and scratchy, on both scanners.

I think it has a lot to do with the 800 MHz band. Just not as easy to receive as other bands.

Maybe someone who knows how different systems work may be able to add more to this.

NESN

800 mhz is indeed a fragile signal. About 10 years ago there was a Sheriff's Dept. in Florida that spent millions putting up a new state of the art 800 Mhz trunking system, only to have dead spots galore throughout the county. Motorola did some scrambling and found that the length of the pine needles common to that county was almost exactly the length of the 800 wave being transmitted. Some tweaking of the system was required to eliminate the dead spots caused by pine tree needles "soaking up" the signals.
You may have to do some tweaking of your own and move you antennas about (if possible) to find where to signal hits it best.
You are in a bad area for NJSP reception, as I believe your nearest tower is either Bordentown (295 & 130) or Princeton (Rt.1) and I'm not sure Princeton tower is real active.
I am in between Millstone & Holmdel towers and my signals come and go especially during the summer when the foliage is in full bloom.
By the way not all Barracks have repeater towers on site. Look at the Barracks and most will have directional Yagi antennas pointed toward their nearest repeater. The new Hamilton station is like that, they are pointed towards Millstone & Bordentown, just as the old Barracks in Hightstown was. Even Division Headquarters in Ewing have Yagis pointed toward Princeton & Bordentown. Also Bordentown is the control site for Troop C where the software is housed for the Trunk. Unless they moved it to Hamilton Comm Center recently.
The only other tip I have is to try a antenna tuned to 800 mhz.

DJ88

NESN

Thanks for you confirmation about my theory on 800 MHz signals. I kind of thought I was right. I live in the northern part Brick Township. I don't know exactly where the towers are, but I do get the talk groups for Parkway Bass River, Holmdel and Bloomfield, as well as Red Lion & Tuckerton Stations, Allenwood & Hamilton Stations, and Bordentown & Kingwood Stations, Northstar & Southstar Medevac, and the car to car TGs. But that's about it for me here. AND, it's not consistent. Sometimes I get them and sometimes not.

Just an FYI, Ocean Township (Monmouth County) police went to an 800 MHz conventional system a number of years ago and it flopped. Many many problems. So, they reverted back to their 400 MHz system. The only other 800 MHz system in either Monmouth or Ocean County is Berkeley Twp. PD in Ocean County, a conventional system. And, sometimes I get them and sometimes not. But it must work for them because they have been on it for a long time.

Rickter98

It's all making sense now. Thanks very much for your replies. I do live in direct sight of the Bordentown barracks and my signal is perfect. When I'm on 195 driving past the Hamilton station, my signal is scratchy and moderate. I did drive past the Ewing station and sure enough there is the Yagi pointing torwards what appears to be Bordentown.

I'm using a RS antenna that's obviously a generic one. Not tuned to the 800 band. I'm considering one of the Antenex Phantom Antenna, 821-896 MHz, 3db Gain, from ScannerMaster. Maybe that'll work in Hopewell.

Thanks again.

NESN

DJ88,
The nearest tower to you is on Rt.37 at the NJ DOT yard in Toms River/Dover Twp. The other closest one is probably Holmdel on the hill behind the Garden State Arts Center.
I have a list of tower sites somewhere, I'll have to dig it up, and post it.

A couple of the top of my head are 295 & Rt.130 Bordentown*/ Millstone & Clarksburg Rds. Millstone/ Behind PNC Bank Center Holmdel/ Rt.37 Dover Twp- Troop C

Rt.40 Woodstown*/ Rt.73 Berlin*/ Atlantic City/ Rt.49 Bridgeton*, Woodbine- Troop A

Montague, Somerville, Troop B
Montague might have been called High Point in some lists.

* denotes towers at Barracks.
There used to be a repeater atop the WTC.
The large black antenna at the top are the trunking antennas.

DJ88

NESN

Why, thank you kind sir for the information. I really thought they had more towers, but I guess it works for them the way it is.

Pyro658

Communications Dispatcher
Hey,
I Live in Aberdeen Twp And usally get a good signal, But I was wondering Which direction I would point a derectional anttenna? Where is the nearest tower or towers. Thanks in advance,
Dave

GM

Premium Subscriber
For Aberdeen Twp., Troop C has a tower atop the hill at the PNC Bank Arts Center, in Holmdel. I normally have 5-6 bars on my BC250D in that area (on Rt 34). See what you can get from Troop C. I also receive Troop B in that area now, since the new Watchung tower was installed, but coverage is spotty, depending on where I am. I use the RS 800MHz band antenna and what a difference it makes over the stock antenna.

NESN

They have about 7-8 towers in each Troop. I have to find my list of sites and post it. This list is about 10 years old and I know they have added a few towers to help with dead spots since then. Even so, reception with a handheld or mobile scanner is spotty at best while travelling.
I did read a post here or elsewhere where someone said that they bought a Motorola Spectra ( I believe) and programmed it for NJSP (recieve only !!) and the difference was night and day. Of course, due to sensitivity of professional radios. Alot of time and money, but if you really want it........

Status
Not open for further replies.