Nj Transit Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Good grief, talk about being alarmists and completely over-exaggerating reality just to make a point. :rolleyes:

There are literally tens of thousands of conventional channels and trunked talkgroups to listen to. Yes, all public safety, and all in the clear.

I just casually looked through a bunch of the countywide trunked systems in central and south Jersey, and I see countless talkgroups that are not encrypted, in particular Fire/EMS. Sure, there's an undeniable trend towards securing law enforcement traffic, but overall there is still a ton of worthwhile stuff to listen to...not just school buses and plow trucks.

Incidentally, a very large number of scanner listeners have zero interest in listening to cops run tags from traffic stops all day and night, and prefer to listen to Fire/EMS, which as noted above are usually in the clear even when law enforcement is encrypted on the same system. Assuming that your personal monitoring preferences apply to everyone else is quite the myopic point of view.

Let's please stop being alarmists crying "the sky is falling, the sky is falling!" I get that some of you are inconsolably distraught that your local or favorite law enforcement agency maybe went dark and you haven't found anything else worth listening to, but perhaps you should try to look at it objectively. Actually take a look at a large sampling of these P25 systems and realize just how many talkgroups are not encrypted. Consider the probability that you might just be in the minority, and that there are still many happy listeners shelling out good money every day on these scanners.

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
I am expressing my personal point of view. Nothing alarmist about it. My preference is specifically law enforcement and my View is shared by many who share the same interest. I will certainly not invest any more money into this hobby based on the obvious trend. And neither will others who share my point of view.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Murenovich

Not the Flatlands, Not the Mountains in NJ
another favorite gone... and people in my state are actually spending $700 for "future paper weights" ??

It’s not gonna be a paper weight. Some departments will never change Bc it’s completely unnecessary and they know that. Fire in NJ will never go full digital and even if it does it won’t be encrypted. Just Bc we can’t listen to some things doesn’t mean there’s nothing else to listen too. Wait till you find out NJSP is probably gonna go full time encryption over the next 3-5 years.

Murenovich

Not the Flatlands, Not the Mountains in NJ
And nobody is forcing anyone here to buy a $700 scanner. You could put it up for sale now while it’s still worth something, cause it’ll be a paperweight soon according to you. Better ROI that way.

Back to original purpose of this thread.

It seems that every unit have finally switched the encryption switch over. Haven’t heard the rare few that were still in the clear earlier this week and Unitrunker logs only show encryption use.

NParkNJ

On the Road
Heard them this morning around 11 in the clear.

NJTPD- N1(north 1).

In the clear and Phase 1 today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Heard them this morning around 11 in the clear.

NJTPD- N1(north 1).

In the clear and Phase 1 today.
There are a very small handful of radios occasionally forcing the talkgroup to back to FDMA, and only those radios are transmitting in the clear. The overwhelming majority of transmissions, including today, are TDMA secure.

ion_op

They can now use their filthy Newark Penn Station platform language over the air now that they're encrypted.

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
I thought it was the other way around the other day...could hear some units on 800 but not dispatch. Dispatch should be full time encrypted and some of the radios out there may not yet be strapped for full time encryption so perhaps some do not have the switch toggled and are transmitting in the clear over 800

Status
Not open for further replies.