NJ Zello App Communications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analogrules

I recently came across an interesting app that I'm sure some of you are aware of called Zello. I wonder if it will become the next big thing in business and possibly some public safety communication. I notice a few talkgroup channels on there already created by Union County EMS (unoficial chatter), Roselle Park FD has a channel for tone alerts only, severe weather alerts for tri-state area, and even a channel supposedly used by folks to make others aware of Nj Turnpike traffic/incidents. I am not sure how active it is (or is these channels are used as intended since I have no time to mess around with it lately), but awesome idea for an app. I once use my CB and HAM radio for these things, but let's be honest, i think many of us carry our cell phones much more often these days, than bulky CBs and HAM radios. I suggest downloading this free app, and exploring the different channels in your area and let us know if you hear anything interesting - pertaining to businesses communicating or public safety.

I read somewhere than even FBI and Secret Service have been experimenting with a similar type of voice over internet technology. (Weekend PATH shuttle buses are definitely using it in nyc-this is how I found out about it)

ecps92

Zello and others are the Toys of the internet. Been around for many years now.
The RadioReference.com Forums - Search Results
and discussed here since 2012

The Commercial Products by Motorola and Harris and some others are what the Public Safety and Federal Agencies are using.

As with anything. YYMV, but you need access to the internet. [Wifi or Cellular Nets]
No Internet = No Connection

I recently came across an interesting app that I'm sure some of you are aware of called Zello. I wonder if it will become the next big thing in business and possibly some public safety communication. I notice a few talkgroup channels on there already created by Union County EMS (unoficial chatter), Roselle Park FD has a channel for tone alerts only, severe weather alerts for tri-state area, and even a channel supposedly used by folks to make others aware of Nj Turnpike traffic/incidents. I am not sure how active it is (or is these channels are used as intended since I have no time to mess around with it lately), but awesome idea for an app. I once use my CB and HAM radio for these things, but let's be honest, i think many of us carry our cell phones much more often these days, than bulky CBs and HAM radios. I suggest downloading this free app, and exploring the different channels in your area and let us know if you hear anything interesting - pertaining to businesses communicating or public safety.

I read somewhere than even FBI and Secret Service have been experimenting with a similar type of voice over internet technology. (Weekend PATH shuttle buses are definitely using it in nyc-this is how I found out about it)

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
Hello is a great idea, however in my experience it drained my phone battery fairly quickly.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Analogrules

Yes, it would never replace standard radio communication in the event of power outages and lost internet connections. However, many businesses are just now beginning to switch over to Voice over internet apps. In fact several hotels are now using Zello to communicate. I have read on other threads about battery being drained fast, but I am sure future software updates could easily work on that issue.

I am just curious how frequently it is being used in NJ by legitimate businesses and severe weather/traffic alerts and information. If anyone comes across any channels like that used in NJ without the CB like nonsense, let me know.

jaymatt1978

I went to Zello's website and right one the front page it says it can be connected right into DMR radio systems, which tells me it was designed to work WITH DMR, not replace it. This leads me to believe contributes to the boom of DMR licenses in the business sector. You MIGHT no longer going to see businesses buying equipment, just licensing DMR frequencies and using their smartphones. Take it one step further, in theory "base stations" will be replaced with laptops. New or upgraded licenses used to mean new equipment, now it just means smart phones and an app!

nd5y

You MIGHT no longer going to see businesses buying equipment, just licensing DMR frequencies and using their smartphones.
You don't understand how it works.
If all you want to do is use a smartphone or pc then you don't need radios or licenses.
https://zellowork.com/lmr
You can make or buy a gateway/interface for almost any type of two way radio system, not just DMR.

Analogrules

Jaymatt, I think you are definitely on to something there. It is amazing how far we have gone in regards to radio technology and communications. But, you do not need a special FCC license to use it. Businesses can just decide one day to have all employees download the app into their phones and create a password protected channel to communicate on. In fact I saw a few schools on there too. They can simply scrap their FCC licenses.

Regarding Ham radio groups, as a licensed HAM, I'd definitely like to look into that. If you can PM me information on how to join, that would be great. I have seen channels that have restrictions, but cannot figure out how to apply to get invited to a particular channel.

Last edited by a moderator:

bailly2

its used as a backup by certain state government agency

Last edited:

Hans13

It is a neat and useful sevice. I've been using it for many years now. Sometime back, a central/south American student revolt sucessfully used it as a primary means of communication. It's a pretty diverse service; all kinds of uses.

nd5y

Here are the two groups that I have heard of. I don't know how to join or apply for access.
World Wide Amateur Radio Guild - Home
http://zellowordwideamateurradionetwork1.webs.com

Here are all the Zello ham radio channels.
https://zello.com/channels/#search/1/amateur radio

I was interested in this last year and wanted to put my EchoLink node harware on Zello. I found out you have to pay for the Zello radio gateway app. Also I don't have a smart phone and I think the pc software only runs on Windows so I lost interest and have not kept up with it.

Analogrules

Update: I just created two new channels you all are welcome to join and communicate on. They are called NJ Transit Passenger Information and PATH Train Information. There is already a channel dedicated for the NJ Turnpike and also channels for North NJ All Incidents and Northern NJ Buff group. I may also create one for the Parkway in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.