NJSP on Rt. 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc800

Today I was driving on Rt. 17 in Mawah, and I saw a NJ State Police Durango pulled over with a car. I know they are the state police and can go everywhere, but am I correct in believing that they do not patrol Rt. 17 and Rt. 4 (Bergen County PD and Local PD's do)?

xpawel15x

sc8 said:
Today I was driving on Rt. 17 in Mawah, and I saw a NJ State Police Durango pulled over with a car. I know they are the state police and can go everywhere, but am I correct in believing that they do not patrol Rt. 17 and Rt. 4 (Bergen County PD and Local PD's do)?

That's correct they do not patrol Rt. 17 and Rt. 4. Bergen County PD is responsible for routes 17, 4, and 3. I actually heard that stop earlier today! I was monitoring NJSP and the trooper happened to stop a car in Mahwah on route 17, just south of I-287. The NJSP Troop B patrols I-287, I-80, and I-280 here in northern NJ. The trooper can follow a car anywhere and make the stop anywhere, although most likely the violation was observed on I-287 and then the trooper followed the vehicle which exited 287 and got onto Rt. 17 therefore stopping him on Rt. 17. NJSP making stops on Rt. 17 is not common, but can and does happen from time to time, as well as route 23, 46, or anywhere the car in violation happens to exit before getting pulled over by the trooper.

Last edited:

jaymatt1978

The county and local pds do indeed patrol Rt 17 and Rt 4. However you wer in Mahwah do you think it's possible the NJSP followed the car off of Rt 287 on to Rt 17?? I have seen that happen and had never really thought twice about it

sc800

I never really thought about that, I live in Orange County NY, so I do not go into Mawah often.

Anyway, for every one NJSP I've seen on 287, I've seen about five Mahwah PD.

In fact the last time I saw an NJSP on 287 he was handiling a traffic accident across from an NYSP who was also handiling one.

Status
Not open for further replies.