No audio on trunkgroup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcflier

Hi and thanks in advance for any helpful replies. I have a brand new pro-106 and am a new subscriber to RR, have win500 on my computer and imported most of the frequencies for my area (Lincoln/ Pott counties) into my scanner and have an external antenna (discone) on a pole outside. Conventional channels work fine but the large State of Oklahoma trunked system in the RR database won't work. If i watch the display, occasionally the scanner locks onto a talkgroup and shows the ID, shows a good signal strength but has no audio at all. I selected all the control channels from the RR database, but just some of the Talkgroup ID's. Please help.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
Is it the same ID that shows up or are they different ones? How far are you from a DPS system tower? Have you checked the ID (s) that are showing up against database info to see who they belong too? Have you tried taking the scanner out on a drive to see if anything changes? Could be some kind of mute setting in the W500 programing software, but checking the above and reposting the findings will help get a possible solution.

Last edited:

rcflier

No audio on trunkgroups.

Thanks, Freqed. I've gotten hits on about 7 talkgroups and they match known talkgroups listed in RR's database, over 20 hits on the Sheriff's office dispatch. I can't find any mute setting in the software. I haven't gone mobile with my radio yet, I'll do that tomorrow. I am just outside of the site radii as shown on RR's site maps of about 3 towers, so maybe it's just a range issue. I get about 3 out of 5 signal strength bars on the display. I've been reading all I can about trunktracking, but one question I have is: do you only have to input the control channels and alternate CC's or the talk channels also? This radio only has the capacity for 32 channels per trunked system and I noticed that in RR's database there are more than 32 CC and alternate CC's listed but when I imported the system with win500 only 31 channels were loaded. Should I program only the nearest sites' channels or split all channels into different systems by site location and monitor each location separately when in that location? It just seems strange that i get good reception on conventional channels further away than these trunked sites but absolute silence when locked onto a talkgroup.

rcflier

Hey Freqed, I solved my problem. I had to build a custom trunking table and load it into the scanner. The info was on the Utah Radio Scanner Group tutorial on using Win500 on this website. It is an excellent tutorial for anyone new to trunking. Thanks for your input. I'm new here so my posts are screened before being posted, but I posted this shortly after my last one.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
Good Job! that's what scanning is all about, learning. I kinda figured it was software related but I haven't used Win500 so I wasn't sure. About the Conventional channels coming in from farther away than the 800 systems, that is normal, 800 systems are not designed for long distance use (although you will ocasionally get skip from some 800 systems, as Wichita is heard in Tulsa on ocassions.) 800 usually won't travel too much outside the coverage area, heck there are dead spots inside 800 systems range areas too.

Status
Not open for further replies.