Pro-651: No Audio Sound Pro 651

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilwar

Feed Provider
Hello. Hopefully someone can help. I just got a Pro-651 scanner from Amazon and I don't hear any sounds at all. No audio on any frequency, no key beeps (yes it is on), no weather WX, no squelch static, nothing at all. I've tried with headphones and get no sound that way either. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if the scanner is defective. I don't want to send it back if it's user error and not a faulty device.
Thanks for any help!

Edit: Forgot to mention I'm trying to listen to the Sacramento,CA area frequencies.

Last edited:

Adam-14

Welcome to the forum.
Although I have a Pro-197, it is very similar - if not identical to your 651.
Here are some questions and ideas for you.

1. Did you do any programming at all or just turned it on and this is what you found?
2. There is a way to disable the key beeps.
3. Did you press the WX button, see it scan to your local weather broadcast and stop on it?
4. Press the SRCH button and it should start searching. Turn the squelch completely counter-clock wise. Do you hear the "white noise?"

If #3 is yes, it stops but no audio and #4 is no white noise, I would do a complete reset of the unit. and try these steps again. If still no audio, I would say the unit is defective.

It was a good idea to try the headphones which ruled out that the speaker was somehow disconnected or bad.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

kilwar

Feed Provider
Thank you so much for the help.

1. It was programmed to another city when I got it but I heard nothing, so I tried setting my cities frequencies and I still have heard nothing from the unit.
2. I tried enabling and disabling the key beep sounds but I hear nothing either way.
3. I pressed the WX button but it doesn't seem to scan. I've tried all of the WX channels by pressing the WX button again and it goes through Wx1 - Wx7 but there is no sound from any of them.
4. I pressed SRCH and turned the squelch all the way counter-clockwise but I don't hear any "white noise" or anything at all.

I tried a complete reset and there is still no sound for anything at all. So I guess I'll have to return it.

Thanks again for all your help!

Welcome to the forum.
Although I have a Pro-197, it is very similar - if not identical to your 651.
Here are some questions and ideas for you.

1. Did you do any programming at all or just turned it on and this is what you found?
2. There is a way to disable the key beeps.
3. Did you press the WX button, see it scan to your local weather broadcast and stop on it?
4. Press the SRCH button and it should start searching. Turn the squelch completely counter-clock wise. Do you hear the "white noise?"

If #3 is yes, it stops but no audio and #4 is no white noise, I would do a complete reset of the unit. and try these steps again. If still no audio, I would say the unit is defective.

It was a good idea to try the headphones which ruled out that the speaker was somehow disconnected or bad.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Status
Not open for further replies.