• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

No DOS programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshineandmonkeys

Premium Subscriber
Hey all, got something I would love some advice/direction on:

Recently my RIB stopped working....or maybe it was my laptop. I am not sure which is to blame.

I have an older Pentium II laptop running at 133 mhz tat I have successfully use to program with over the last 4-5 years. I have a chinabay RIB ~AND~ an RLN4008D OEM RIB and a smattering of older handhelds (HT600, MT1000, Saber II, HT1000, and some MTS2000s). Lately, If I connect either the knockoff or OEM RIBs, I get varying failure messages from the RSS(es) and am unable to read/write/whatever.
*Yes, the laptop has a legit serial port and not some USB---->serial cable crap.
*Checked all the cable connections and switched to a known good cable. NO change.
*Ensured the RIB(s) had good/new 9v batteries. Still no change
*Tried another laptop (also old PII machine). Even more lack of change.
*I uninstalled and reinstalled the COM port in device manager. I Rebooted and now the computer starts to read the radio and then throws a "COM PORT EVENT" error. Probable causes are listed as No RIB, No RIB power, Malfunctioning RIB, and serial card or RIB--PC connection problem...
*I ran the RSS after running the Slow program to turn caches OFF. The result was the same.
*I repaired a roken connection in the RIB cable as well.

!!!But!!!

?? If I take the RIBs and connect my MTS2Ks to a newer laptop running win 7 and fire up CPS, they recognize and read/write the MTS's FINE.
?? The same old laptop runs any CPS JUST FINE (Kenwood TK380 CPS, for example) and I can read/write to the TK380 as well.

I am inclined to believe that there may be some problem with the older laptop and its COM port or with components in the RIBs (I believe there is a resistor that likes to go out over time and creates problems in operating with/on certain older gear?). Can anyone point me in the right direction?

RBMTS

Just to clarify, are you trying to use the RSS programs in (and only) a DOS environment? Not a DOS window within Windows, or even rebooting to DOS prompt. I'm talking about loading DOS 6.11 from scratch at boot-up? The reason I ask is that you mention working with the device driver. If you are working in pure DOS there is no driver. The COM ports are managed by the BIOS and then by DOS commands.

You sound knowledgeable and have done a great attempt at debugging so I wanted to see what OS environment you are in. As I'm sure you know, RSS programs prefer a straight DOS environment. While some **might** function in a DOS window, you really should be only in DOS. So let us know what you are working with on the OS side.

cmdrwill

There IS A KNOWN problem in the Motorola RIB and knock-offs. The RIB does not really match the RS232 standard. So on some computers you get this problem.

See: R11 and R14 change http://batlabs.com/images/rib_mod.jpg

There are more mods to correct the problem, so try this first...

We do fix RIBs, and add all the mods.

Sunshineandmonkeys

Premium Subscriber
Just to clarify, are you trying to use the RSS programs in (and only) a DOS environment? Not a DOS window within Windows, or even rebooting to DOS prompt. I'm talking about loading DOS 6.11 from scratch at boot-up? The reason I ask is that you mention working with the device driver. If you are working in pure DOS there is no driver. The COM ports are managed by the BIOS and then by DOS commands.

You sound knowledgeable and have done a great attempt at debugging so I wanted to see what OS environment you are in. As I'm sure you know, RSS programs prefer a straight DOS environment. While some **might** function in a DOS window, you really should be only in DOS. So let us know what you are working with on the OS side.

Yes, I am running (or trying to run) the RSS in a pure DOS environment. I was working with the driver at the suggestion of another tech i know locally.

With regards to OS, the machine i have used for programming has Windows 98 on it.

Sunshineandmonkeys

Premium Subscriber
There IS A KNOWN problem in the Motorola RIB and knock-offs. The RIB does not really match the RS232 standard. So on some computers you get this problem.

See: R11 and R14 change http://batlabs.com/images/rib_mod.jpg

There are more mods to correct the problem, so try this first...

We do fix RIBs, and add all the mods.

Ill have a look at them, however being that the RIB works on other machines, or in windows, this is a secondary path I'll explore. Good to know though!

Who is this mysterious 'we' you speak of?

Status
Not open for further replies.