No longer providing Las Cruces Police channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebiz911

I provide the Las Cruces feed and I have decided not to provide the police channels anymore. The reason why I have decided this is because of no delay in place for the cell phone app users. The last few nights, I have heard officers talking on I-CALL that too many "bad guys" are using the feed for all the wrong reasons. They had a chase the other night and when it was over, I heard the officers say that the guy was listening on his cell phone during the whole pursuit where they were setting up spike strips and simply went another direction. The officer's safety is too important to me to put them in danger. I am sure that another provider will soon come online and provide the Las Cruces police channels again. I would also be happy to provide the channels again if some kind of delay was in place for all mobile users. I know the feed will not be as busy as before but Las Cruces Fire is a very busy fire department that responds to all fire and ems calls as well as all traffic accidents in and close to the city. Thank you for listening in the past and understanding why I am no longer scanning Las Cruses police channels.

I provide the Las Cruces feed and I have decided not to provide the police channels anymore. The reason why I have decided this is because of no delay in place for the cell phone app users. The last few nights, I have heard officers talking on I-CALL that too many "bad guys" are using the feed for all the wrong reasons. They had a chase the other night and when it was over, I heard the officers say that the guy was listening on his cell phone during the whole pursuit where they were setting up spike strips and simply went another direction. The officer's safety is too important to me to put them in danger. I am sure that another provider will soon come online and provide the Las Cruces police channels again. I would also be happy to provide the channels again if some kind of delay was in place for all mobile users. I know the feed will not be as busy as before but Las Cruces Fire is a very busy fire department that responds to all fire and ems calls as well as all traffic accidents in and close to the city. Thank you for listening in the past and understanding why I am no longer scanning Las Cruses police channels.

Thanks for doing the right thing ebiz911

freqs

why are Cell Phones allowed to have Apps to get Radio Reference or Police Calls ? One of the many reasons I hate Cell Phone's .People act as if the world would end with out them .I have a cell for emergency use only If I didnt have little kids or kids in School mine would be gone .

agates

I have an iPhone, and use an app that allows me to listen to the Albuquerque feeds.

First of all, I listen in on the analog AFD Alarm Room frequency on my scanner, and use the scanner app on my iphone to listen in on the TAC channels. In my case, there is anywhere from a 30 to 60 second delay from the live dispatch to when I hear it go out on the app (3G connection). I'm not sure how in the world other phones are getting the feeds with NO DELAY...even the fastest 4G LTE phones should have a delay. There definatley needs to be some kind of delay built in to the feeds to prevent this kind of activity. Minimum of 30 seconds...

I think it's awesome that I can get the feeds on my phone. It's great to listen in on the TAC channels as I'm taking photos at a fire scene, understanding the activity that's going on in front of me. I guess the difference is the fact that I'm not a bad guy, and I'm not using the feeds to further my criminal activity.

ebiz911

The normal delay time for my feed is about 20 seconds, sometimes longer and sometimes shorter. I guess it depends how busy the servers are and crowded the traffic over the net is. Today around 2PM the delay time was running about 4 seconds for my feed!!

northscan23

You made the right call!!. I hope that other feed providers would follow suit.The problem is not so much the bad guys buying the $500 scanners, but the cell/I-phone apps.Let''s see how long before the Los Cruces police decide blackout their radio traffic to the public!! If I was providing a feed for the city I live in I probably would not air the police channels for out of caution.

towersites

Premium Subscriber
The City of Denver has been contiplating encription on all there channels for that same reason. The Cell phone in the wrong hands able to monitor police activity and not help Officer Safety.

mastr

Have you considered putting a much longer delay in your audio to the entire feed? Really 4, 10 or even 30 second "old" information is still a big help to the bad guy 2 miles away. But if I'm sitting at my house 400 miles away and listening to your feed, it will be nearly as enjoyable 5, 10 or even 30 minutes later.

I agree with others who support your decision. The presence of scanner feeds (delayed or not) is a powerful sales tool for encryption.

HuntingCrazy

I provide the Las Cruces feed and I have decided not to provide the police channels anymore...
I, for one, think this is horrible. While driving today I noticed that a good portion of Lohman was blocked off by police...as I drove by I saw officers taking cover behind vehicles with their guns drawn. I tried to find out what was going on by checking local news websites, via the city's website, listening to local radio...NOTHING. The only way to find out local happenings is via the Police/EMT/Fire scanners...which is now dead.
Please put this back online for the citizens of LC.

ebiz911

Sorry!

Stop for a moment and think about those police officers that had their guns drawn and taking cover behind their cars. They are talking on their radios, making plans to take out the bad guy. If the feed was still up and the bad guy had a smart phone with a free police scanner app he would know within seconds how the officers was going to take him down!!.............I stand by my decision not to provide the feed through radiorefernce anymore. The officers safety is more important to me than the general public need to know whats going on...........live!!......within seconds!!.....Until either a 2 minute delay or access is taken away away from the smart phones, I will not provide the feed and put officers lives in mortal danger. I had no problem providing the feed to the average Joe sitting at home listening to the feed on his home computer without a delay..............I still provide the feed, but to home computers only. Thanks for voicing your opinion though!!

Take care

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
I do not see why you have not added a 2 minute delay to your feed if your that concerned?

JoeyC

I, for one, think this is horrible. While driving today I noticed that a good portion of Lohman was blocked off by police...as I drove by I saw officers taking cover behind vehicles with their guns drawn. I tried to find out what was going on by checking local news websites, via the city's website, listening to local radio...NOTHING. The only way to find out local happenings is via the Police/EMT/Fire scanners...which is now dead.
Please put this back online for the citizens of LC.

Buy your own scanner if you feel you must hear these things. Better yet, buy a scanner and put the feed back up if you feel this is a necessity to the citizens.

JoeyC

I stand by my decision not to provide the feed through radiorefernce anymore. The officers safety is more important to me than the general public need to know whats going on...........live!!......within seconds!!

Take care

Thank you for doing the right thing!

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
A ok

ebiz911, I respect your decision. I have a feed too and I would remove the police channel in a heartbeat if I though it was a risk to anyone's safety.
Our PD is very good at moving sensitive communications from the dispatch channel when needed, which all agencies should do anyway.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Lindsay Blanton has stated he does not allow feeds with an additional delay on his platform.

If someone delayed their feed, nobody would no this but the feed provider.

JoeyC

If someone delayed their feed, nobody would no this but the feed provider.

Possibly. However based on the number of "where did so-and-so go" and "why is there no more thisandthat feed" questions that are posted on a regular basis, I can see the threads almost forming now. Somebody with a local scanner will start a thread asking if the feed is a recording because of the big delay and make a complaint. Then all the cheerleaders from both sides will chime in with their comments. Eventually Lindsay will find out about the delay and either rescind his policy or make an example of the feed.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Delay

The normal delay time for my feed is about 20 seconds, sometimes longer and sometimes shorter. I guess it depends how busy the servers are and crowded the traffic over the net is. Today around 2PM the delay time was running about 4 seconds for my feed!!

I can't stand to listen to the scanner and the feed online. The scanner speaks and the whole communication is over and later it comes over the feed. Never timed the delay but it is huge. And no I have no delay of any kind, it is just processing and server delays. Of course, you'd never know of the delay if you wasn't listening to the live feed on the scanner.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Cell Phone

How do they even know he was listening to them. He might have been on the phone talking to someone with a scanner. I think they may be assuming too much. Nevertheless, as a feed provider I agree that you can broadcast whatever you feel like broadcasting. If anyone disagrees, let them provide a feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.