No more silver scanners!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4GKS

Agree or disagree? IMHO, black is where it's at. Has Uniden ever had one? I can't remember. Rat Shack used to have the best looking scanners on the market, but the silver just wants to make me puke.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
I too am sick of the silver scanners. IMO the 96/2096 looks like a cheap piece of crap.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
I agree that the black is more attractive, but I don't know if vomit comes to mind with a silver scanner.

The Uniden 785's are black, and so is the BCT15 if I'm not mistaken. The 996's are black and silver.

CLTX11

Black goes with my interior better, my BCT8 i used to have in there looked good as well as my BC246T.

Haven't upgraded yet to the silver scanners.

Gilligan

Database Admin
I agree - I hate the silver appearance. They should offer two models - one silver and one black. I bet everybody would pick black.

brandon

Database Admin
I agree 100%. Just look at the Uniden BCT-15 vs the BCD996T. The cheaper BCT-15 looks much better in my opinion.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I have to agree with black!

In fact, as I glance at all my portables, 3/4 of them are black. My Yaesu ft-60 Ham radio, my 2 Kenwood TK-380 Commercial UHF radios, my AOR-8200 MK3 are all black. The only odd ball is my pro-84 which is a maroon/pink/dusty rose kind of color,yuk! Yes sir, black is better in my book! My BAse scanners are black. My 2 BC 785s and my BCT 15. Maybe thats why I put away my pro-2006. HMM! Even my MFJ frequency counter is all black!......LOL Now when I aquire a BCD 996, its going to throw all that perfection off, darn! :-(.....

Manny

Last edited:

kc8qch

Wow....Who cares what color they are as long as they perform well and have the needed features? I don't care if it's Blue, purple, lime green or pink (okay maybe not pink but you see what I mean) as long as it does what I want and the selectivity/sensitivity/performance is top notch.

I asked my sister once what the crash test rating was on her brand new car, what kind of brakes it had, engine, Kind of horsepower, torque, gas mileage, etc. and she said (and I quote) "I don;t know. I just bought it cause I thought it was cute and liked the color".... :-/ uh huh....

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I agree, I don't care for the silver color at all. Even the muted, or darker silver that Uniden used on the BCD396T, and GRE's PSR-500, gives it a cheap appliance look. In addition to basic black, I'd like to see the plastic housing a little more substantial too. There is nothing like the solid feel of a Motorola in the hand!

n2mdk

Hey they could start making them that bright yellow that some of the public safety portables come in.

pogbobo

n2mdk said:
Hey they could start making them that bright yellow that some of the public safety portables come in.

or bright red like the old minitor II 's :cool:

mikey60

I can see it now. Detachable faceplates so that everyone can pick their own color, kind of like some of the cell phones that are out there... ;)

Mike

n2mdk

mikey60 said:
I can see it now. Detachable faceplates so that everyone can pick their own color, kind of like some of the cell phones that are out there... ;)

Mike

Coming soon a hot new item Scanner Skinz, give your radio that custom look.

K8PBX

mikey60 said:
I can see it now. Detachable faceplates so that everyone can pick their own color, kind of like some of the cell phones that are out there... ;) Mike
Brilliant Idea Mike! The scanner world would beat a path to your door!

FWIW, I too don't care for the silver look of the Pro-2096. I've considered an in-dash install, but it would stick out like a sore thumb. Guess I could just order an extra faceplate and paint it, though... That would also cover up the Radio Shack name, which despite the unit being made by GRE, just screams "cheap toy" to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.