No moreUniden

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmack550

Premium Subscriber
Just got charged for a scanner a week out of warranty for a repair. OK with that.... But.... Uniden is telling me the scanner had extensive damage... Which is completely untrue... The scanner wasnt even scratched upon shipment to them. So no more scanners purchased from Uniden. In the future i will be purchasing whistler products ONLY. SO goodbye Uniden and thanks for nothing. And it was a TOP OF THE LINE 536 as well.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
So, I checked out the repair ticket and don't see any mention of extensive damage. The only two parts that were repair related are the LCD display, which is why you sent it in, and the BNC connector, which the repair tech noticed was showing wear, so he replaced it.

Additionally, he applied the latest firmware update, updated the database, and performed both the Battery and Backlight improvement modifications which had not yet been performed on this unit.

JamesO

If it was a 536 it likely would not have been out of Warranty due to all the problems with the 536. Did you submit it for repair under the Repair Campaign? I did not follow the entire warranty debacle, but most of the known problems were addressed regardless of age.

I assume with the exception of the BNC connector, most of the problem were well known issues?

dmack550

Premium Subscriber
I was told by a uniden repair representative that the unit had "extensive damage" and that was the reason for the charge. My scanners are all taken care of and this particular one, the 536, looked brand new when shipped out. Dont know how it then had "extensive damage" when arriving at uniden other than build and design/production flaws.

ChrisABQ

I'm surprised CYA was not utilized (Cover Your *ss). Always take pictures with a date on them prior to sending them out. Always pull the SD card prior to shipping.

dmack550

Premium Subscriber
Yes the unit was out of warranty by three weeks but i guess i expected more durability from a $500.00+ scanner. My bad. Water under the bridge.

prc117f

Reports like this i why I did not replace my 2 rock solid uniden 996xt units. So many stories about LCD fading,failures a few weeks after warranty and other QC issues. I know plenty of others who ended up on the sidelines because of these stories.

yeah 500 dollar scanners should not have LCD failures a year out. my 996xts and those of folks I know own them never had any problems with displays,headphone jacks,missing features, or trunk tracking issues (analog).

Hopefully the next gen trunktrackers will focus on QC and modernizing the RF/Demod section.

Michaelr2

dmack550 I realize that you had to pay but according to upman it should be better than new. If you get it back and still dont want it and you want to get rid of it cheap please let me know. I would love to give one a try but just can't afford one. Thanks

JoeyC

So he essentially got a brand new scanner out of the deal and still complains about it even though he said he is OK with paying for it. :roll:

SCPD

QRT
So, I checked out the repair ticket and don't see any mention of extensive damage. The only two parts that were repair related are the LCD display, which is why you sent it in, and the BNC connector, which the repair tech noticed was showing wear, so he replaced it.

Additionally, he applied the latest firmware update, updated the database, and performed both the Battery and Backlight improvement modifications which had not yet been performed on this unit.

And when people complain I wait for official replies as truth comes out. If it were me, I'd want the additional fixing the tech finds. After all it is going to be worked on anyway and taken apart. I would rather things be fixed or altered at that point then down road having to send it in again.

Some cant be happy in any form. Reminds me of car shops. They will remove parts to get to the problem and mention what is wearing out or going to fail or cause issues in near future and people will ignore it, nope just put all that back on just fix what I want commenting to friends how they tried to milk money from them. Then 2 months later they are broke down side of road swearing about the car shop who would have fixed it going in to begin with but still get the blame after being told no don't fix anything else.

If this was my scanner I'd have appreciated the tech noticed other issues like the bnc connector and applying other fixes before sending it back out. It would save me time/money and down time later. But that's me some are the stretch it thin maybe I'll get lucky people and have no issues.

It's nice to know uniden has techs who will do the job right first time and repair what looks to be a issue down the road later.

dmack550

Premium Subscriber
No I complained about the scanner having "extensive damage" as described by the uniden rep when it left my house in perfect condition except for a failed display NOT damaged by abuse or neglect. SERIOUSLY doubt it was damaged by UPS.

dmack550

Premium Subscriber
As to whether it is essentially a "brand new" scanner we will see about that. If it is... Great. I am am upset that this scanner is Uniden's premium, top of the line scanner and it fails just a few weeks out of warranty. If it was yours you would be dissatisfied too... Be honest.

Rred

I can hit a radio with a stun gun, or soak it overnight in salt water, and it will clean up and look like new but have "extensive damage" inside. So far this has been a meaningless thread.

Now, three weeks out of warranty, or one week out of warranty, is called "Someone needs to get a credit card that offers double warranty protection". I reminded a friend of that and they saved over a grand on a big TV that was a couple of months out of warranty when it failed.

Not too late to try putting in a claim if the OP had that option and forgot to use it.

dmack550

Premium Subscriber
Still no scanner

Ok..... Still no repaired scanner. Talked to uniden rep who promptly looked at non updated sro and told me it was in line to be shipped AGAIN. Mr. Opitz I would really appreciate if you could expedite this. The sro is 1999474. Thanks!

dmack550

Premium Subscriber
Received scanner two days ago. Appears to be properly repaired for which I am grateful and appreciative. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks Uniden.

Michaelr2

Glad to hear that you got your scanner back. Hope it is better than new and lives up to all of your expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.