No signal from PSR-500

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoff5093

I guess I don't have good luck with mobile scanners, but I had just bought yesterday the PSR-500, I updated the firmware and did a quick program and it worked great for a while. Then I noticed that throughout the day I barely heard any transmissions, and I only heard the city police when I was in the center of town.

Even know when I'm at home, I hook up an external antenna and I can't even hear the weather broadcasts. The only time I can make the scanner pick up a signal is if I tune to a Ham frequency and transmit on my HT/Base, which is right next to the scanner.

I've tried reverting back to the older firmware revisions, as well as the factory revision, with no luck. I've erased all memory and loaded the same config that worked before, but no luck.

I know this is really vague, but do any of you have any insight as to what the problem might be? As I said before I just got this and it hasn't been dropped or anything at all, so I find it hard to believe that the antenna connection may be faulty, but it is possible.

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
Try The Attenuator

Maybe you inadvertantly set the Global Attenuator to "on". While scanning see if "G" is lit up on the screen. If it is, then the attenuator is set on for all frequencies, and you will not hear as much. Press FUNC then ATT to turn it off.

mikey60

emslt245 said:
Maybe you inadvertantly set the Global Attenuator to "on". While scanning see if "G" is lit up on the screen. If it is, then the attenuator is set on for all frequencies, and you will not hear as much. Press FUNC then ATT to turn it off.

Note that both the "G" and the "A" must be on for the radio to be in global attenuation. The "G" by itself only means that the radio is set to global attenuation mode, but it not actually being attenuated unless the "A" is there as well.

Mike

geoff5093

No, there is no G or A there. I reset it back to defaults as well and don't hear anything when the G is on.

I'm thinking it's a faulty unit, since if I can't hear the weather broadcasts then something is wrong.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
geoff5093 said:
No, there is no G or A there. I reset it back to defaults as well and don't hear anything when the G is on.

I'm thinking it's a faulty unit, since if I can't hear the weather broadcasts then something is wrong.

I had the same problem, and couldn't even pick up the NWS. Mine was caused by the infamous loose screw. I tightened it, and the reception came back.

Warren

geoff5093

I brought it back to HRO and they gave me a store credit (which I already used up, haha), hopefully they will just send it back to GRE and they will fix it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.