No Signal - Send it to Uniden or??

Status
Not open for further replies.

daedalus

My BCD396XT receives no signals, not even the weather service. I recently moved and just programmed it to the services for my new home area (Brunswick County, NC). The scanner was programmed using FreeScan and the RR database download function. I chose the NC Viper system and Brunswick County locals. I can send the FreeScan file to anyone if that would help. Everything looks good on the scanner, it scans fine, but there is no reception. Opening the squelch outputs sound through the speaker. I am using the stock Uniden antenna and tried another antenna I have (Watson WSMA-801) with the same results. I cannot find my SMA to BNC adapter. My ancient RS PRO-2096 works fine in the same location on all frequencies.

I did a complete reset and downloaded NC Viper from the Uniden database with no improvement. I added all of the AM weather channels and no joy.

Any ideas out there or do I send it back to Uniden for repair?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If you cannot receive a known strong signal (i.e. a weather channel), then you need to fix that issue before working on the programming. Either you have an antenna issue or a scanner repair issue (or you are in a basement or metal building or some other area that blocks all signals).

daedalus

First - thanks for the replies.

I agree, either antenna or a broken rig issue is most likely. Just hoping against the odds, but I think the hardware is kaput.

WX is FM, of course. Sorry for the brain freeze. Changed to NFM mode but no joy

I tried touching the inner conductor of the SMA connector with a 'screwdriver antenna' without success.

Any more hints or ideas?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Kaput = simple or complex

Some simple things (one of which you checked):

Center conductor contacts have spread out and no longer make center pin contact on antenna jack.

Antenna jack wire to PCB has broken.

Well, that is about it for the easy stuff. Everything else is "the little man inside the box has taken the day off" stuff. Or magic. I go with the little man theory, myself.

kmi8dy

while scanning and looking at the screen, do the sites you have programed look like they are scanning faster then normal? open at least 4 or 5 sites and do this. and what i mean is are they going across the screen so fast you can hardly read what they are?

Last edited:

kmi8dy

i mis spoke myself. i should have said systems instead of sites. if the systems are going by so fast on the screen you can hardley read them it is your antenna as what upman stated. try a brand new antenna because a new one will not be worn down.

daedalus

The scan speed looks the same as it always did.

I'll be sending the rig back to UNIDEN for repair.

Thanks

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
As they say crap happens. Had a perfectly working radio, turned it off for the night turned it back on in the morning and kaput. Sent it in for repair. Don't remember what they found but it was fixed. Sucks your scanner went south, Uniden will make it all better for you!.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The good news is that the flat repair rate from Uniden covers most everything. On the very rare outside chance it is beyond help, they usually work with you on a replacement scanner at a lower cost.

daedalus

I'm guilty of failing to post back here after the radio went to Uniden repair.
1. They are fast - it was about two weeks start to finish
2. The flat rate fee was all they charged
3. They replaced a pair if transistors, Q2 & Q3. Not having a schematic I don't know hat heir function is, but assume they are in the front end.

Overall a very easy and satisfying repair experience.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
3. They replaced a pair if transistors, Q2 & Q3. Not having a schematic I don't know hat heir function is, but assume they are in the front end.

Yes, Your radio might have gotten hit with a static discharge, or you may have had it to close to another radio while it was transmitting.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I'd say that would do it. Kinda like being right next to an army tank when the tube is fired without hearing protection - gonna mess up your hearing.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
IIRC, Q2/Q3 are the components that are going to blow if the scanner is subjected to high RF (like keying up a 700W PEP transceiver in close proximity to the scanner's antenna).

divison200

Same problem , different model Home Patrol 2

Hello, I am having the same problem, I receive some signals , vhf, uhf, but not any 800 mhz trunked sytems, or P-25 systems, I have the home patrol 2. This has just happened in the past few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.