• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

NOAA Radio Southard

With KWO35 NYC still off the air, I'm wondering how far into Middlesex County the NOAA transmitter in Southard is covering? Does anyone in the North Brunswick, New Brunswick, East Brunswick, Milltown area have any experience with receiving this station?

mondaro

Premium Subscriber
Hello, currently while KWO-35 is down I am carrying the Southard feed on RR from Harrison, NJ - Hudson County.
I believe Middlesex County NJ is covered full time by that transmitter as well. NWS - Upton tells me
that they are making progress in restoring KWO-35 but I have no time table when it will be back
on the air. Hope that helps. - Tony

Oh, and while you mentioned it, KWO 35 could have been back on the air a long time ago IMHO...Drop a 300 watt transmitter like Southard on a tower in the Watchung range along Rt22 in the Warrenville/Green Brook area and another up in the Ft. Lee area. In fact NJ Public Broadcasting has a tower that's 350ft up on a 650ft hill in Warrenville. Plenty of high rise buildings in the Ft. Lee area right up by the GWB that are close to 500ft high. The Warrenville tower would have put an excellent signal in all of Union, Richmond, Middlesex, Somerset and North Monmouth Counties. The site by the GWB could easily cover Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, West Chester and Putnam. The transmitters at Highland, NY and then Southard, NJ would have picked up from there. Queens is being covered by a station on LI very well. The lower power would have likely solved the interference issues on the Marine VHF band. Just my opinion.

mondaro

Premium Subscriber
Oh, and while you mentioned it, KWO 35 could have been back on the air a long time ago IMHO...Drop a 300 watt transmitter like Southard on a tower in the Watchung range along Rt22 in the Warrenville/Green Brook area and another up in the Ft. Lee area. In fact NJ Public Broadcasting has a tower that's 350ft up on a 650ft hill in Warrenville. Plenty of high rise buildings in the Ft. Lee area right up by the GWB that are close to 500ft high. The Warrenville tower would have put an excellent signal in all of Union, Richmond, Middlesex, Somerset and North Monmouth Counties. The site by the GWB could easily cover Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, West Chester and Putnam. The transmitters at Highland, NY and then Southard, NJ would have picked up from there. Queens is being covered by a station on LI very well. The lower power would have likely solved the interference issues on the Marine VHF band. Just my opinion.
Completely understand your frustration, we pitched the similar ideas to the NOAA Weather Focal point and the Science operation officer at the NWS Upton, but like everything, in the government, the transmitter's new site is caught up in red tape, I think its insane to so without that emergency transmitter now going on the second severe weather season, they are under the impression these phone apps where a short term solution I don't think so.

jlp

With KWO35 NYC still off the air, I'm wondering how far into Middlesex County the NOAA transmitter in Southard is covering? Does anyone in the North Brunswick, New Brunswick, East Brunswick, Milltown area have any experience with receiving this station?
I monitor from Kendall Park (South Brunswick) with an SDS100 with a 18 rubber duck VHF/UHF and receive them ok. With the 100 connected to the outside scanner antenna mounted up around 30', Southard comes in with a RSSI signal of -75 (quite good)

jlp

Ah Kendall Park...Part of my old stomping grounds. I started out monitoring South Brunswick PD when they were on 39.98MHz. Thanks for the info.
I wonder if radio coverage was better then vs now being on 800mhz? I know on low band the HT coverage was probably bad

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk