NOAA Weather Radio Nuclear Attack Broadcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
From NOAA's "Operations and Services Dissemination Policy NWSPD 10-17" :

"NWS offices will prepare the appropriate message for dissemination. If the message is:

1. NUCLEAR ATTACK: Get the red-bordered envelope containing the approved text for this specific hazard. The text of the message on this card may be prerecorded and stored on a diskette with the diskette sealed along with the card in the red-bordered envelope. THE TEXT OF THIS MESSAGE, HOWEVER, SHALL, UNDER NO CONDITIONS, BE RECORDED AND STORED AS A FILE ON THE NWR SYSTEM OR ANY OTHER ON-LINE NWR MESSAGING SYSTEM BEFORE ITS ACTUAL USE IN A REAL EVENT. DO NOT leave the envelope out in the open. The NWS must eliminate the possibility of a false or accidental ATTACK WARNING"

I would be interested to know what the standard message in the red envelope is. Any one know?

..,.and here is what you'll hear after a nuclear attack:

"THE U.S. GOVERNMENT HAS ISSUED A TERMINATION OF THE ATTACK WARNING. REPEAT. THE U.S. GOVERNMENT HAS ISSUED A TERMINATION OF THE ATTACK WARNING. FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS ISSUED BY YOUR LOCAL GOVERNMENT. SINCE THERE MAY BE A DANGER OF RADIOACTIVE FALLOUT, YOU SHOULD NOT LEAVE A SHELTER OR PROTECTED LOCATION UNTIL YOUR LOCAL GOVERNMENT ANNOUNCES THAT IT IS SAFE TO DO SO."

Scary stuff.

Last edited:

CrabbyMilton

Let's hope we'll never have to find out. You couldn't rule out a real person delivering the announcement since I don't believe all stations are actually linked. The president can broadcast on NOAA but I would imagine that his message would be sent to individual stations via computer based tools. But then again, with 24/7 news networks and social media, would they even bother to broadcast over NOAA? No such broadcast took place over NOAA as the events of 9-11-01 were taking place. Good questions you raised though.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Let's hope we'll never have to find out. You couldn't rule out a real person delivering the announcement since I don't believe all stations are actually linked. The president can broadcast on NOAA but I would imagine that his message would be sent to individual stations via computer based tools. But then again, with 24/7 news networks and social media, would they even bother to broadcast over NOAA? No such broadcast took place over NOAA as the events of 9-11-01 were taking place. Good questions you raised though.

NOAA Weather Radio is part of the Emergency Alert System. Maybe it's reserved only for a nuclear attack or invasion by aliens, so as to not cause the public to panic.

From the New York Times in 2002:

"No president has ever used the current [EAS] system or its technical predecessors in the last 50 years, despite the Soviet missile crisis, a presidential assassination, the Oklahoma City bombing, major earthquakes and three recent high-alert terrorist warnings...Michael K. Powell, the then chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, which oversees the Emergency Alert System, pointed to 'the ubiquitous media environment,' arguing that the system was, in effect, scooped by CNN, MSNBC, Fox News Channel and other channels... [FEMA] activates the alert system nationally at the behest of the White House on 34 50,000-watt stations that reach 98 percent of Americans... Beyond that, the current EAS signal is an audio message only—which pre-empts all programming—so that viewers who were watching color images of the World Trade Center on September 11 would have been able to see only a screen with a generic text message along with a presidential voice-over, if an emergency message had been activated."[3]

DisasterGuy

The red envelope isn't even required anymore. With the advent of IPAWS, the message is created once and the digitally sent to the IPAWS server where it is picked up by EAS stations, NOAA' HazCollect system (to go over NWR), cellular phones via CMAS/WEA along with many other distribution channels. The attack warning is issued by the FEMA Operations Center (Mt Weather) and FEMA Alternate Operations Center (Thomasville, GA).

If you want to learn more about the warning process and messages, google "NAWAS Manual".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.