• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NOISE BLANKER CB

Status
Not open for further replies.

k8krh

I use the plug in the cig plug in for power, and my noise runs around s4, anyway or anything for the noise reduction. The radio is a COBRA.
I do not connect directly to the battery, KIA SORENTO, firewall very hard to get through.
TNX/ CEF795

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
Running the positive lead directly to the battery if at all possible and running the ground to the vehicle body as close to the radio as possible has helped me with AM/SSB equipment, both CB and Ham. This helps with noise being carried by the power leads but noise being radiated by the vehicle as RF is another matter, which is usually what would give a S level. I assume it doesn't have this S level with the engine not running.

XTS3000

ANL is a passive (non powered) simple circuit designed to get rid of power line noise. It’s a simple diode that is switched in or out the final stage of the receiver (before it reaches the AF amp) to hopefully get rid of 13.8v power line noise.

NB is an active circuit that detects noise pulses that come in through the antenna, and generates an equal but opposite pulse to get rid of impulse noise from things like noisy/bad 120v power lines on poles when driving past them.

Where is your noise coming from? Simple way to tell..... when your getting the noise, disconnect the antenna and see if the noise goes away. If the noise goes away, then your noise is entering the radio via the antenna/coax. If this is the case, relocate the antenna coax feed line. If relocating doesn’t help, only thing you can do is get a different antenna with better shielded coax could solve your noise problem. Also, keep in mind not all NB circuits are created equal. Some work better than others.

If you disconnect the antenna and the noise is still there, the noise is coming in through the power line. One thing that will help power line noise is to separate the positive and negative lines on your power source and twist then together.... Just like Ethernet cables are twisted together to prevent “cross talk”. I know twisting the power wires may sound crazy, but it’s worked on almost every 12v power line noises I’ve come across dealing with AM receivers.

Sorry to be so long winded, but re read my advice a few times if it doesn’t make sense the first time.

Edited to correct spelling errors. (I’m on an iPhone and spell correct is lame)

Status
Not open for further replies.