• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Non-profit users of FRS / GMRS radio at 1.5W power

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
FRS

So are you going to charge me with a felony?

Just saying, in the big scheme of things, everyone in this thread who is worked up over the legalities of using a Part 90 radio at 5 watts on FRS only frequencies should find something better to do. I'm not bothering anyone when I chose to do so.
Around here there are more than one repeater for GMRS on the same frequency,if this guy runs 5 watts,he will never cause as much interference than 2-3 repeaters on the same exact frequency,just saying Who allowed the multiple repeaters on the same frequency? The FCC. Who made the rules for FRS/GMRS? The FCC.Most of the GMRS users are using modifed Motorolas is that legal?Oh we can nitpick legalities all day,but what about that? A modified police or fire radio on GMRS.is that legal?Sounds like modified Motorolas on FRS.

http://www.thepeters.org/grandfathered_gmrs.html

Attachments

• legal beagle.JPG
    legal beagle.JPG
    6.8 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
And if it's an urban environment, even with one of the 8-watt Baofeng radios, 1/4 to 1/2 a mile is pretty much your limit, at least with the stock antenna, at ground level. I can't imagine you'd get much more out of them even with an aftermarket antenna. I've gone almost three miles out in the sticks between two 8-watt Baofengs with stock antennas, but that was just a test, I have no need for such distance on an everyday basis.

RFI-EMI-GUY

2 watts is about as useful/reliable as nothing.A step in the right direction but still unrealistic.
5 watts with a Baofeng are what people want.
Thats why they buy it, Amazon sells thousands of the UV5R and UV82.

They should allow the public to have a higher power free communications service is what I am saying so people don't illegally modify their devices is what I am saying.I'm not condoning anything.I do feel they should legalize a high power FRS. 25 watt mobile and 5 watt walkie talkie.
I am telling you the proof, look at CB, thats your proof that people Want higher power devices that work to reliably communicate.
The FCC and government won't allow people to ever have such a free service is fact.
Years have passed and it has never happened.
How to do it? Spread spectrum is an idea. Cordless phones have this technology.
There are 900 MHZ spread spectrum radios that perform very well. Motorola DTR and Engenius are such products. There are thousands of private hopping codes.

Promoting illegal use of FRS and GMRS spectrum is bad form. Again, why so many licensed amateur radio operators with this mindset?

Should I recommend folks buy Baofeng 8 Watt radios and program them to 446.00 or 146.520 MHZ since those channels are underutilized and easy remember?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

RFI-EMI-GUY

Just saying, in the big scheme of things, everyone in this thread who is worked up over the legalities of using a Part 90 radio at 5 watts on FRS only frequencies should find something better to do. I'm not bothering anyone when I chose to do so.
So you are admitting to being a criminal. Thanks for the heads up.

SCPD

QRT
I'm saying instead of people being stuck with 2 watts the FCC should make a 5 watt portable/25 watt mobile free-service for people.
Especially in these times of disaster where people need to have communications since their cell towers are soaked and downed by hurricanes!
Wouldn't an FRS service be a tad more useful then?
I am giving examples, I said look at CB, how many on CB are running crazy power?
I bet that 100 watt cb is more useful than his 100 milliwatt FRS radio he threw in the corner years ago....

If you use the 900mhz spread spectrum radios without a license, you are still doing the same thing, no?

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
They should allow the public to have a higher power free communications service is what I am saying

50 watts on GMRS and the license is cheap, pennies a day.

so people don't illegally modify their devices is what I am saying.

Doesn't matter what's "legal", there are those that will always want to push the limit. Make 25 watts "legal" and people will want 50. Make it 50 and they'll want 100.

Truth is there are a lot of ways to get on the air legally for very low prices. When you look at the cost of a GMRS license spread over 10 years, then compare that to the price of the radio(s) you'll need, it's a very small amount.

I'm not condoning anything.I do feel they should legalize a high power FRS. 25 watt mobile and 5 watt walkie talkie.

But that's not the purpose of FRS, that's what GMRS is for. FRS has always been inteneded as a "short range" radio service. Not wanting to spend the money on the license isn't a reason to change the rules. It's already cheap as it is.

I used to get annoyed by the people that wanted to operate outside the rules, but life is short and the honest truth is I no longer care. I appreciate it when I see someone whose putting the effort into doing things right and doing it legally, that takes dedication.

jhooten

Why doesn't anyone use MURS? 2-Watt legal, no license!

Service legal radios are hard to find. I have a couple of the Radio Shack mobiles, one of the matching hand helds (They are only usable on the two 154.xx wide channels.), and a pair of Motorola CP110Ms to support the race car. The two watt VHF radios do pretty good at covering most of the road course tracks I run.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'll also repeat what others have said. Focusing simply on the RF output power as a measure of communications range often fails to take into the account the realities of how it works. Doubling the RF power does not double your range. You have to quadruple your power to double the range.

Antenna placement, antenna design, coax cable, RECEIVER SENSITIVITY, all make a bigger difference in how far you can communicate.

That's what I see with CB, newer amateur radio operators, etc. A focus on RF output power as the only measure of system performance. Often they completely ignore receiver sensitivity and the complete antenna system.

cmdrwill

What part of Licensed By Rule don't they understand?

You Follow the FCC Rules and you are able to operate on FRS. Rules of the Road.......

RULES have a few things to abide by, most important is a FCC Type Accepted radio. And that covers power, antenna ect.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Service legal radios are hard to find. I have a couple of the Radio Shack mobiles, one of the matching hand helds (They are only usable on the two 154.xx wide channels.), and a pair of Motorola CP110Ms to support the race car. The two watt VHF radios do pretty good at covering most of the road course tracks I run.

MURS VHF portables are a bit more accessible since BTech introduced the MURS-V1 for about $55 each. I haven't seen much in the way of an affordable mobile MURS radio.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...CLCYV&linkId=9ba9fbd09df2eecb25ddd69937f1e736

Review:
MURS-V1 Review - Miklor

RFI-EMI-GUY

1) I'm saying instead of people being stuck with 2 watts the FCC should make a 5 watt portable/25 watt mobile free-service for people.
Especially in these times of disaster where people need to have communications since their cell towers are soaked and downed by hurricanes!

2) Wouldn't an FRS service be a tad more useful then?

3) I am giving examples, I said look at CB, how many on CB are running crazy power?
I bet that 100 watt cb is more useful than his 100 milliwatt FRS radio he threw in the corner years ago....

4) If you use the 900mhz spread spectrum radios without a license, you are still doing the same thing, no?

1)"People" as in individuals and families, can obtain a GMRS license good for 10 years for the cost of about 2 cents per day. 50 watts power is permitted.

Corporations and non profits can obtain a Part 90 business license for about $300 and they are afforded similar power levels plus interference protection.

2) FRS is a low power service licensed by rule. The rules are easily available on line. You should read them..

3) pure non sense.

4. 900 MHZ spread spectrum requires no license. (License by rule)

Your last two comments only serve to underscore that you are completely ignorant and in contempt of the FCC Rules and regulations.

This attitude only ruins the service for others and puts the FCC into a position of dismantling the GMRS service bit by bit. If you cannot be bothered to obtain an FCC licence you should not be operating on GMRS period. The GMRS service is a unique high power communication mode that needs to be protected.

How you obtained a ham license is puzzling.

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I'm saying instead of people being stuck with 2 watts the FCC should make a 5 watt portable/25 watt mobile free-service for people.

The FCC has visited that idea and said no. Because the range and therefore potential for interference is greater, a service with 25 watt radios needs closer oversight than a low power license-by-rule type of service. And as such, GMRS serves the need for individuals, and Part 90 serves the need for profit and non-profit entities.

You are once again showing a profound lack of understanding of the facts. May I suggest that you spend less time "helping" and more time learning?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber

No one is trying to charge you with anything. He merely told you the facts.

cmdrwill

4. 900 MHZ spread spectrum requires no license. (License by rule)

Your last two comments only serve to underscore that you are completely ignorant and in contempt of the FCC Rules and regulations.

900 Mhz Spread Spectrum radios ARE Licensed by Rule. Obey the Rules and you have a License to use the radio(s).

And I also note the poster's comments are way out of order.

milcom_chaser

They should up the wattage for FRS only and then nobody would be trying to get around the restrictions.
Why not make it a higher power?
There is no service in which people can communicate legally to each other freely that has a high power .
You can't even do it half duplex.
I do get a kick out of all the legal beagles, these frequencies barely ever get used here in New Jersey, they are dead frequencies.
GMRS I hear the repeater ID once and awhile.
FRS is dead.
Kids have top of the line cellphones.

"Kids have top of the line cellphones"

And with the Zello App, they don't need FRS radios at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.