• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kraftwerk

Premium Subscriber
Just bought a subscription to this radio reference, cool but,I'm using Chirp with a baofeng uv-5r.
Chirp software allows me to enter my zip code and import my locals, everything works except when I named each frequency only one name I entered shows up. I'll figure it out.
Anyway my main issue is using both services, how come from chirp can I not do a search of say a business or some fcc licensed organization which definitely doesn't come up when I enter the zip code? So I have to manually enter. Is there better software than chirp that allows me to search an entity on radio reference and import. How a bout a link on this side even, send to chirp? Still considering Uniden BCD996P2 .
I'm a little frustrated, I was considering buying an awesome new scanner but if software is this low in intellect
well I might be up for days programming.

Blackswan73

Not sure what you are trying to do with your Baofeng, but it is not a scanner. You cannot import from RR like some scanners. It is a Ham radio, for amateur radio operators. You can receive single, analog, public service frequencies, but not digital, or trunking. You also need a license to talk on it if you are in the US

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Chirp is a programming software, not a search tool. Search the database via a web browser, making a list of what you want to load into your radio, then use Chirp to load that list.

Sent via Tapatalk

K4EET

Chaplain
Just bought a subscription to this radio reference, cool but,I'm using Chirp with a baofeng uv-5r. <snip> Still considering Uniden BCD996P2. I'm a little frustrated, I was considering buying an awesome new scanner but if software is this low in intellect well I might be up for days programming.

First of all, welcome to the Radio Reference forums. I don't know if you know it or not but in German, "das Kraftwerk" when translated to English is "Powerhouse" or "Power Plant" as in an electricity generating power plant. I don't know if that means you are in Germany or possibly your know German or perhaps it is pure coincidence.

Second, as muskrat39 said, the BaoFeng UV-5r is a wideband VHF/UHF conventional transceiver with amateur radio bands included as well. Many hams have purchased this radio.

Third, with respect to high-end scanners, I might suggest Uniden's BCDx36HP (BCD436HP or BCD536HP) scanners, of which I have the BCD536HP variety. It can directly download the RadioReference database and is easily programmable to receive many different services.

Finally, it would be helpful if you would tell us where you are located as that could significantly alter our replies to you. I'll be looking forward to a follow-up post from you that gives us a little more detail that also includes just what you hope to listen to either on your BaoFeng (conventional channels, analog only - AM, FM) or a Uniden BCD996P2 or BCDx36HP scanner (conventional and trunking, analog and digital).

Hope to hear from you soon. 73 (best wishes in ham radio lingo), Dave K4EET

kraftwerk

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys!

Thanks for all the info,.
This little BaoFeng UV-5r unit is pretty cool.
I am using it to listen to 50 frequencies In a huge industrial park with multiple factories, pretty interesting the chatter at a Swedish steel factory in Iowa and surrounding support industries, the place is like a town, it has its own rail road and EMS services.
I used Chirp and radio reference and I was able to initially import all my public service stuff pretty easily.
I removed them soon after because I wanted to make sure I would not accidentally transmit.
I found within the software a way to turn off the transmit on the radio which is nice, tested on one of the factory workers frequencies.
If you hold down the * button this unit will scan all frequencies you have programmed in unless you have them locked out with the software, it is slower than a regular scanner though.
Also you can monitor a priority channel while scanning, which you can chose on the fly.
Oh, Krafwerk is one of my favorite bands, grew up listening to them they are German and built quite a few elaborate instruments, imagine a 20 foot clear Plexiglas tube with a speaker at one end and a microphone at the other, I guess they had quite a bit of electronic knowledge. They are on You Tube still pretty amazing to me. I just ordered the Uniden BCD996P2 probably should have got the higher end model? For years I've had a rs pro 2006 with mods, but with a lot of radio shack equipment the volume nob is scratchy and annoying, still works though.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

kraftwerk

Premium Subscriber
Can't find freq

Oh I was also wanting to monitor Linwood Mines in Davenport Ia, can't seem to find their frequencies anywhere?

teufler

Possible license is under their Coorporate Name, McCarthy Bush.
MC CARTHY IMPROVEMENT COMPANY WQWF934 462.18750000 50 0 MO IG DAVENPORT
MC CARTHY IMPROVEMENT COMPANY WQWF934 462.36250000 50 0 MO IG DAVENPORT
MC CARTHY IMPROVEMENT COMPANY WQWF934 462.46250000 50 0 MO IG DAVENPORT
MC CARTHY IMPROVEMENT COMPANY WQWF934 462.48750000 50 0 MO IG DAVENPORT
MC CARTHY IMPROVEMENT COMPANY WQWF934 462.51250000 50 0 MO IG DAVENPORT
MC CLEARY EXCAVATING CO INC WNDD752 451.97500000 1 0 FB2 IG BLUE GRASS
MC CLEARY EXCAVATING CO INC WNDD752 451.97500000 10 0 MO IG BLUE GRASS
MC CLEARY EXCAVATING CO INC WNDD752 456.97500000 10 0 MO IG BLUE GRASS

kraftwerk

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, Awesome!
Just ordered the Uniden BCD536HP instead of the other.

K4EET

Chaplain
<snip> Just ordered the Uniden BCD536HP instead of the other.

Good morning! Your previous post said...

<snip> I just ordered the Uniden BCD996P2 probably should have got the higher end model? <snip>

...so you must have switched your order before it shipped. The BCD536HP is an awesome radio! There are a lot of BCD536HP users here so if you have any question; ask away. I think that you will be very pleased with your purchase. Happy scanning!

73 (best wished in Amateur Radio lingo), Dave K4EET

kraftwerk

Premium Subscriber
WOW!

received the BCD536HP put in the zip and already hearing way more than my old Pro 2006.
Amazing range and clarity. Very excited, now I just need to plug it in and assign stuff like how?
should I buy software or use what? I don't know yet, not a clear video I've seen on youtube somewhat complicated that's why this is a hobby I guess I will figure it out, I do want to listen to what I chose at times
Banks systems units,I need a good video. I guess when I plug it in it will update the firmware I think it is contained on the micro sd card that came with the unit 4gb, along with the sentinel software? by the way what size card can I use? I probably should clone or copy the card asap?

K4EET

Chaplain
received the BCD536HP put in the zip and already hearing way more than my old Pro 2006.
Amazing range and clarity. Very excited, now I just need to plug it in and assign stuff like how?
should I buy software or use what? I don't know yet, not a clear video I've seen on youtube somewhat complicated that's why this is a hobby I guess I will figure it out, I do want to listen to what I chose at times
Banks systems units,I need a good video. I guess when I plug it in it will update the firmware I think it is contained on the micro sd card that came with the unit 4gb, along with the sentinel software? by the way what size card can I use? I probably should clone or copy the card asap?

Ahhhhhhh... A kid with a new toy! Welcome to the major league! The BCD536HP is a scanner like none other. Before you do anything else, I would suggest reading three things.

1. Uniden's BCD436HP/BCD536HP Owner's Manual that came in the box
2. Easier to Read BCD436HP/BCD536HP Digital Scanner Manual
3. Sentinel BCD436/536HP Software Manual

As for the microSD card, I doubt if you will ever fill it up. For now, I would focus more on getting the radio configured and getting to know your radio. Don't be afraid to ask questions in NEW threads with the Subject Line (Title) highlighting the topic of the question. I got stumped many times and learned quickly that the dumbest questions are the ones you never ask. Any question that you publically ask is VERY relevant to not only you but others as well! All of us BCDx36HP users are still learning. Trust me...

Sooooooo... Read the three manuals cited, punch buttons as you go along and don't hesitate to ask questions in new threads for each topic. Questions and their subsequent answers are best searched for when they are in dedicated threads. And don't be shy about using the "Search" function of the forums. Many questions have been asked already and have superb answers.

Best wishes as you learn your newest scanner that will be around for many, many years to come. As for the rest of us BCDx36HP owners, we will be "at the ready" to shoot you any answers to questions that we know the answers to. The BCD536HP can be overwhelming at first but as you become more comfortable with its in-depth capabilities, you'' find yourself helping others.

So for now, 73, Dave K4EET

K4EET

Chaplain
Mass Update Day

KraftWerk (may we have your first name to call you by?),

Here is a thread by UPMan (Product Manager at Uniden) that has the latest firmware release information. While your scanner may have the latest firmware, it does not hurt to check. Be sure to read the instructions CAREFULLY and ask questions if necessary.

http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-forums/319899-mass-update-day.html

Once you have done that, my next post will have another update to do if you have not done it already.

Happy Scanning, Dave K4EET

K4EET

Chaplain
Master Database Update

KraftWerk,

This will be my last post for this thread as I feel the threads need to be more focused with Titles (Subject Lines) more explicit as to what specific question is being asked. That said,

You want to update the Master HPDB (Home Patrol Database) in the Sentinel software. Starting the Sentinel software with the BCD546HP scanner connected to a USB port on the computer using the supplied programming cable, follow the instructions to update the BCD536HP scanner's Master HPDB. To start, you go to the Sentinel menu bar and click on the following menu items:

Update >>>---> Update Master HPDB...

Just follow the instructions. It will either download the entire HPDB database for the USA and Canada or it will say "This version of the database is the current version." and you'll be all up-to-date.

Like I said earlier, this will be my last post in this thread. For any questions, after you have read the three manuals, I recommend starting a new thread and keep it to a narrow theme. In this was, the search funtion of Radio Database works much better at finding relative threads based on the search terms.

Enjoy your new scanner and I'm sure that I'll be commenting in other threads of yours. Until then...

73, Dave K4EET

kraftwerk

Premium Subscriber
new to forums too

Thanks bud, 73, Dave K4EET really appreciate your advise Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.