Noob question on portables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUSHFAN

Hey guys,
Anyone have any recommendations on a small portable (nothing to break the bank), that would be good
for strictly MW DXing? Any info is always appreciated!
Thanks,
RUSH

ab3a

If you can find one, a GE Superadio III is highly regarded and inexpensive (it originally retailed for $45). Some have reported finding one at thrift stores for under $10.

a29zuk

Universal Radio has the Sangean PR-D5 for $79.95. It has a 200mm long ferrite rod for excellant AM reception.

mitaux8030

Silent Key
Depending on where you are situated, a small loop antenna can really boost just about any portable you care to get. Tecsun AN200 loop is small, cheap, effective, and it's what I've used to snag some 3000+ mile catches with a Redsun 2100 & Degen 1103 receivers (both <$100 portables). Just sit the loop & portable next to one another, tune in a weak station, adjust the tuning control on the loop to really lift the station out of the mud - it can even make a station that's so weak that it just can't be heard to the point where it is decently listenable.

SCPD

QRT
Hey guys,
Anyone have any recommendations on a small portable (nothing to break the bank), that would be good
Thanks,
RUSH

I know what you're asking but you need to understand that the receiver (save for a few specific reasons) is not the issue. The issue comes down to your antenna. :)

The G3 is pretty good. It's very tiny. I saw one of these in a local R/S and it would be a very nice portable.

Grundig G3 Globe Traveler Radio Receiver

Boombox

Hey guys,
Thanks,
RUSH

The best 'cheap' MW DX radio I can think of is the Sony SRF-59. I got one for $18 at the local box store. The SRF-59 is a headset radio that is very sensitive for its size. A lot of guys DX with them. I've DXed with mine.

greeer57

Another good small radio is the Tecsun PL-606; it pulls in weak AM signal pretty well, and the AN-200 loop or a Select-a-Tenna helps pull in stations even better. I have this radio and I take it to traveling whenever I can travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.