• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Noob with engine noise on CB. Yes, I searched. :o)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nonperson

"CB chassis ground using heavy stranded battery cable about 12 inches long to bolt on floor of cab."

^Take that one off. ^

That should cut down on some of it.
If it's still bad bond the truck body parts together like in Jaymojave's link.

FiveFilter

I've been lucky with my 1996 F250 7.3 diesel. I plugged my CB radio into the factory-supplied power port on the dash, put a magnetic Wilson 1000 on my roof and have experienced no problem noise at all. It must be a specific-truck thing. I don't know.

Regarding the OP's problem, I would try the filters mentioned, I would also change the ground location. I "think" I remember that the OP installed the radio ground where other devices are grounded. Maybe changing the location of the radio's ground could help.

emzungu

So, I put on the RF chokes. I think it helped, maybe slightly. I also removed the CB chassis ground going from CB chassis to floor of cab. Not sure that did anything, but it did not hurt anything.

Saw the suggestion to move the negative ground to a different location. Will try that. Afterwards, if there is no improvement, I think I'm done and will live the results.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions. Much appreciated.

e

Mustang131

So, I put on the RF chokes. I think it helped, maybe slightly. I also removed the CB chassis ground going from CB chassis to floor of cab. Not sure that did anything, but it did not hurt anything.

Saw the suggestion to move the negative ground to a different location. Will try that. Afterwards, if there is no improvement, I think I'm done and will live the results.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions. Much appreciated.

e

Do you have a portable am radio? Walk around the vehicle, Fuel pump, alternator and cooling fans is most likely. Capacitor solution. I've never had a diesel, but I always thought they would be quiet!

DJ11DLN

Do you have a portable am radio? Walk around the vehicle, Fuel pump, alternator and cooling fans is most likely. Capacitor solution. I've never had a diesel, but I always thought they would be quiet!
The good ones were! Mechanical injection doesn't make RF noise. It's these new-generation things with the electronic/hydraulic injector systems (thanks, EPA:mad:) and ECM's that create noise beyond the usual suspects of alternator, fan motor, wiper motor, fuel lift pump, etc ad nauseum.

But a decent inline filter should help kill it. I second the notion of taking a portable radio around the pickup looking for sources. If it isn't bad that way, then it might just be making its way into the CB through the power connection. If so a good filter might just kill it. Key word might.

JayMojave

Hello 131 and All: Yeah a small transistor radio will work, but you have to wrap it up in aluminum foil and allow a small opening near the antenna so that it only picks up noise from a select direction, instead of all directions, which will send you inside playing with your spit!.

The Op has not told us yet if removing the antenna coax from radio while receiving the noise, goes away or stays. I am thinking the noise is being radiated into the air being picked by the antenna and radio. I am betting its being radiated into the air. So a inline power wiring filter won't work.

Another problem hear I believe is the Op has never probed around looking for noise, so this is new and probably not understood by him. Not his fault.

Trouble shooting EMI or RFI ( Electromagnetic Interference / Radio Frequency Interference ) even by professionals is not easy sending most walk away frustrated and pissed off at the world. Resulting in walking away needing a totty or two. I know, I've done it many many times. If you keep at you will fine the source of the noise being radiated, and shield the wiring or install snap on ferrite cores over the source wiring. Again good luck.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

Ravenkeeper

My dad's CB use to have the same thing, in his '72 Datsun pickup. We changed the spark plug wires, and the noise went away. Yes, I know that diesel engines are different than gas engines. Just something to think about.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
^^^A pointless post, given that diesel engines don't even have spark plug wires...

bharvey2

^^^A pointless post, given that diesel engines don't even have spark plug wires...

Maybe they're aftermarket "diesel spark plug wires" much like the dual exhaust stacks that I've seen on mini pickups. (A gas powered Mitsubishi comes to mind) I may need to head over to the rant section.......

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Actually I read all of it. Diesel engines don't have spark plug wires, or anything similar to spark plug wires. So regardless of your caveats, your post added nothing useful to the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.